Lighting Setup for painting ????

Thread: Lighting Setup for painting ????

Default Lighting Setup for painting ????

Just wanted to find out what people are using for their lighting setup that they use while painting - what type of lamps do you use, how many do you use, do you use normal globes or flurescents etc.....

Just curious... wondering if there is a better system out there than what I am using at the moment ( which is just a single 60 watt lamp on a jointed arm attached to my painting desk.....

Adam.

Hi Adam, I use a 100W incandescent room light (without a shade) with a fluorescent desk lamp that I paint directly under.

Depending on whether you\'re in the UK or the US there are some very good \'full-spectrum\' lights available which give much better colour rendition than any normal lights.

Einion

In my experience iv\'e found a daylight effect lightbulb seems to give me the best results when working under artifical light.

Although in my oppinion nothin beats working from actual daylight

All I\'ve got is soft glow 60 watt bulbs. I\'m looking to get myself a \'daylight\' lamp, because I\'m in a basement, and don\'t get real sunlight where I paint.

I use daylight bulbs - I did use the daylight bulbs that have a blue coating, but have found some \"green\" (as in low wattage environmental ones) flourescent daylight bulbs. These have a much cooler colour, and when compared to the blue coated ones there\'s no comparison - the old ones appear more like tungsten bulbs with an orange colour!

Never tried with natural daylight. But as I mostly paint during the evenings you need consistent light source and thats simply the best way to go.

Orb - i use blue coated daylight bulbs too - and the biggest problem i have is that 2 100watt bulbs produce a LOT of heat... enough to effect the drying time of the paint!

where did you get the bulbs you mention - do you have a web link? i\'d be VERY interested...

Regards

Brandlin
    (Alan)

I bought them from my local artstore -I\'ll pop in soon and find out some details. Think it\'s the same company........

and yes they do give out lots of heat - i still use it for drying greenstuff!

the others are great.

another option, and big investment is this:
    Actulite

I have one and it\'s great! Very gentle onn the eyes. But expensive. Flouro bulb again, but the polarised light works a treat

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Orb, your light looks a lot like the OTT light they sell here in the states. Color corrected flourescent.

A bit pricey, but very nice to paint under.

I have 3 full spectrum flouresent bulbs at my paint desk, they show colors almost perfectly, and they\'re VERY low energy (I have 2 15watt and 1 20 watt). So they don\'t produce hardly any heat, are cheep to use, last nearly FOREVER, and are actually VERY bright.

Once I got one, I can\'t go back :)

bottom line is, if you\'re serious about spending long hours sculpting or painting things this small, a good light source is essential. And the low wattage/low heat tubes \"daylight\" style lights seem the friendliest way to go

Originally posted by Orb
    I bought them from my local artstore -I\'ll pop in soon and find out some details. Think it\'s the same company........

and yes they do give out lots of heat - i still use it for drying greenstuff!

snap! so do I

the others are great.

another option, and big investment is this:
    Actulite

I have one and it\'s great! Very gentle onn the eyes. But expensive. Flouro bulb again, but the polarised light works a treat
    I\'ve got the Actulite, well worth the investment (if only I could stock them :D )
    wouldn\'t go back to anything else for painting under :cool:

Just found this site for a UK based company selling full spectrum energy saving bulbs. These are the same as I have and I assume the same as Erics

Lightbulbs Direct

the ones I use are like this

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...l.asp?var=3676

And are made to screw into a normal light socket. However 30w full spectrum bulb is VERY bright, (like 150w normal light). I use 15w or 20w bulbs.

Ah haaaa.........cheers Eric

I bought an Ott Light when they were on sale locally, so full spectrum fluorescent for me. It\'s set up directly above my painting area. I also have a tiny Ikea halogen off to the side that I use to throw things under to dry or to take a look at where the light hits things. Not sure if this really impacts my painting at all, but that\'s what I use.

Used to paint under the 250 or so watt halogen that\'s hanging above the table, but if I dared paint during warm weather it was almost unbearable.

Besides, the full spectrum light is nice and bright and cheery. Very good for them gloomy Seattle winters. :D

Originally posted by Equus
    Besides, the full spectrum light is nice and bright and cheery. Very good for them gloomy Seattle winters. :D
    Ott Lites are very good lightsources in the colour-rendering department and it\'ll help counteract SAD so you\'ve got a double benefit :)

Einion

but aren\'t well all SAD Einion?

I don\'t know, are we? :D

Einion