Flat Brushes

Thread: Flat Brushes

Default Flat Brushes

Anyone use them. I guess they\'d be great for drybrushing. On canvas they are great especially if i want a large smooth background area quick(er). Some time when i\'ll be painting minis, i guess im doing too much up and down with out turning the brush, my brush will flaten out.

Blog Entries

Actually, I use flats fairly often. I find they\'re very useful for laying down base coats on larger areas (like WARMACHINE \'jack armor). They give you a little more even coverage on large areas in fewer brush strokes than using only rounds.

When I brush-prime (which is increasingly more these days), I usually use a flat brush for that, as well.

I use a flat brush when painting for specific jobs where the wide coverage in a single stroke works for you, like on the weapon of the Wolfen I posted in the WIP thread the other week.

Originally posted by cookster
    Some time when i\'ll be painting minis, i guess im doing too much up and down with out turning the brush, my brush will flaten out.
    This might be an indication that the hairs are not as springy as they should be (older, tired sable/Kolinsky brushes tends to do this) and/or that the paint is a little on the thick side.

Einion

i\'ve used them for overbrushing (often on terrain). as for drybrushing i use \'cats tongue\' shaped brushes. ie rounded off towards the edges

For canvas that\'s mostly what I use. Good for doing fills and when turned on it\'s side good for linework.

I use a size 2 bright (straight edge) for drybrushing bases. It\'s easy to get just the right amount of paint on them for the job. I\'ve tried a size 4 too, but find it far too unwieldy for anything other than coarse base work.

For brushing primer and liberal washes, I\'ll use a filbert (cat\'s tongue / rounded edge) brush. Never managed to get the hang of them for use with drybrushing.

For these brushes, anything better than simple synthetic is simply a waste of money, considering the uses they\'re put to.

Yep use then for large areas and dry brushing. I also use then when I want to run a line of paint down an edge like a sword. The hold alot more paint and give a more even coverage.