High Elves
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Elves

Default High Elves

Hi there, i am new to the warhammer world, i decided to go for space wolves in 40k, and for either high elves or dwarfs in fantasy. Can you tell me some info about the armies, advantages and disadvantages. How they compare to the rest of the armies. This is my opinion, i like the high elves because of the color scheme blue and white, i like dwarfs because of their defence. i like being an defensive player, but don\'t know they are small. Please post your comments, i wanna hear from the experts.

Default Well...

I have a high elf army and I am about to start a dward army.

If the reason you like high elves is blue and white, you can have the same color scheme for your dwarf army and it will look quite original. High elves are getting many complaints from players because people don\'t think they are balanced, they actually need to be revised.

On the other hand the dwarves just came out with a new army book and new models on monday! They look really awesome ( at least the new models do) and will be great fun to play and I can just imagine how good they are now that they have been revised. So if I were you, I\'d go with dwarves!

Hope that helps,

Simon

the new dwarf models do actually look nice (never liked them before). as for high elves. they are a bit dull and kinda girly!!

go for chaos or orcs instead. in fact, sod it, go for chaos. feel the corruption coursing through your soul!! throw yourself wantonly into damnation!!

I have yet to play my high elf army but I\'ve been reading about them.
    First of all, nearly every elf can have a bow if you want. If you play defensive, seems likely you can just sit back and launch a hail of arrows at your opponent.

Their big plus though seems to be magic. You can have a certain number of characters and it\'s good to have a prince and a champion or two then mages. Thing is, for just a few points more you can turn your prince or champions into mages too.

The down side at the moment seems to be the impending revision. If a new book comes out just after you bought the old one, that kinda sucks. Dwarves are safer that way because the book just came out and won\'t be revised for a couple years at least.

Depends on you game style. A friend once tod me if you want to learn tactics play elves. I didnt know what that meant till I played them. They are a small eleite force that can be taylored for defence offence and magic. Unfortunately you can only oick any two.

Dwarves are generally defensive. they are slow but have lots of shooty stuff.

Id go the dwarves as they are new and will stay the same for a few years.

I say it willdepend on your preferred style of play.
    if you want to hang back, not move att all and shoot your opponent to pieces, go with dwarfs.
    If you want to use a agile, hardhitting force that nearly cant take any losses, choose high elves. Id say that high elves are a more versatile army,and you have lots more options with them, than you will have with dwarfs.

Originally posted by dansk
    I say it willdepend on your preferred style of play.
    if you want to hang back, not move att all and shoot your opponent to pieces, go with dwarfs.
    If you want to use a agile, hardhitting force that nearly cant take any losses, choose high elves. Id say that high elves are a more versatile army,and you have lots more options with them, than you will have with dwarfs.
    This is all very true but remember to take into account that Dwarves are getting a new army book and new minis which may change your mind....

well, i dont think that a new army book will change the dwarfs that much.
    with their low movement rate their will almost never be an attacking force, unlike high elves, that isnt as good a defensive force as they are an attacking force.

so thats up to style of play...

and models are a completely different discussion IMO.
    For models, i always say, go with what you like best. if you like dwarfs, play/paint them.

Actually with the new rules Dwarves can do more than just sit there and shoot. I played an RTT with the new Dwarf rules just a couple week ago, and the Bretonnian player I gamed against was in shock when I was across the board in the first turn and in combat with his knights. While at the same time killing off his Grail Knights in the same turn with artillery.

Dwarves are still slow, and not as maneuverable as other armies, but they are much more versatile than they were.

I totally agree with the others that say it depends on your style of play though. I hope this helps some.

thanks schooldog that does help, i like dwarfes because i like being more defensive than offensive. My only complaint is that they are short, actually since never held dwarfs in my hand how big are they compared to other models, are they that small. I also think that woodelves look pretty cool, they look awesome in fact but don\'t like green, i rather preferred them in shadow grey and kommando khakki. Another think i like is that dwarfs don\'t have horses, not being offencive but just don\'t like the horses on those bigger bases, miniatures are different in size, and that\'s why i might not go with wood elves, though i like the dryads, glade are just awesome and waywatchers are just exceptional. How good are wood elves compared to the other armies, how old are the current models and i have heard they are not a beginners army, why is this so. Some people said that it is just for advanced players. Also i decided not to go with the high elves, because their lord is on the horse, and it looks crap to me. That\'s about it, thanks for your comments

the mdoels in the wood elf range are all new.

you can actually paint your army in any color you like, so there\'s actually no worry there.

generally most people choose their armies according to either the playing style or the range of miniatures.

when i started off, i chose my army according to the miniatures i liked coz i knew nothing about the game.

it\'s really up to you. part of the joy of collecting an army. the trick is, of course, to finish a proper army. ;)

good luck and have fun!

Well Knin, I could not agree with you more on the coloring for the summer Woodelves. I just do not like the greens either. I have a few painted Woodelves and they are almost all in the winter color scheme, well except for the WOH models I have picked up. The Dwarves are shorter than the man-sixed pieces of other armies. They typically come up to the chest of the man-sized models, but they are stouter in general.

As for liking or disliking cavalry, that is a personal choice, and you can field them or not in the armies you play. Typically not using them puts you at some disadvantage if they are available for you to use, but it is still a personal choice. Your High Elf Lord does not have to be mounted by any means.

I do not believe that Woodelves are that hard to play, especially with the new rules. It takes time to come up to speed on any army, and they are no harder than others. High Elves on the other hand are thought to be harder to master, but I have no personal experience playing them, just against them.

When it is all said and done, pick the army that you think you will enjoy the most. That includes how the models look, what you like to paint, how you like to play, etc. Start small, try it out, see if you like it before getting too deep into any army. You can always switch. Good luck. :)

Originally posted by Knin I also think that woodelves look pretty cool, they look awesome in fact but don\'t like green,
    Anyone ever take wood elves but paint them as desert elves? I think that would be pretty cool.
    Reminds me of ElfQuest with the wolf/woods elves meeting up with the camel/desert elves.

Originally posted by Knin
    . Also i decided not to go with the high elves, because their lord is on the horse, and it looks crap to me.
    well knin, i dont know where you\'ve got your information from,but there are several high elf lords models, both on foot, and mounted on horses/monsters. just wanted to clarify that for ya =)

And I dont really think there are any beginner/advanced armies in WFB, just because you have an option to always use the most simple core troops, you dont have to use all those pesky \"we can only do one thing\"-units like harpies and stuff....

its all up to army selection, and practice, practice, practice.......

i have seen only the mounted lord on the games workshop website. i have tough time deciding between high elves, wood elves and dwarfs, i need more info, anyone ever played against these three can you tell me how good they are in battles and some tactics.

Originally posted by Knin
    i have seen only the mounted lord on the games workshop website. i have tough time deciding between high elves, wood elves and dwarfs, i need more info, anyone ever played against these three can you tell me how good they are in battles and some tactics.
    Well, if you havent already guessed it, im a high elf player myself,and have played numerous games against other hiugh elves, dwarfs and wood elves.
    And it, as it usually does, comes down to : style of play, how good a player is (not only for how long he has played, but how good he has gotten at playing the game), and tactics.
    If you didnt have these aspects in the game,you both could roll a dice, whoever rolls higher wins.
    You cant say, for example, chaos always beats high elves, and high elves always beats empire.
    so what you really want to look at is advantages/disadvantages in the different armies and choose an army according to your preference in tactics/style of play.

Dwarfs:
    Adv: they shoot lots and lots. have lots of armour, though units (wont break easily) and can take lots of casualties.
    Disadv: Lack of manouverability (due to low movementrate) and almost no magic.

High elves:
    Adv: Manouverability, extremely good magic,
    disadv: Must almost always break enemy units in first round of combat (due to low strenght, and small number of models in units), very cost-inefficient (Few models for lots of points)

Wood elves:
    Adv: Manouverability(lots of skirmish troops), packs a bit of punch in treemen and dryads, very good shooting (but it has low strenght), (if used right) good magic.
    Disadv: Low strength on bows, cost-inefficient (same as high elves), cant take lots of casualties,

for tactics i would go:
    Dwarfs: find a hill and stand on it (it has worked before, and i dont fink that will change too much, even thou apparantly dwarfs have become a tad more offensive)
    and blast your enemy to bits, and wipe up the rest with miners and stuff.

High elves and wood elves: Outmanouver your enemy, pick one unit per round and annihilate it. and lots and lots of magic for the high elves is almost a must (at LEAST 4 magiclevels)

hopes this helped ya ! =)

Well, first off here\'s a link for the high elf lords on foot (US site, hope thats ok):

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/lustria/catalog/highelves/HE_heroes.htm

Also, generally I find that any model could be used as a character if you spend a bit more time painting them, or assembling them so that they stand out. Few people have problems with this as long as you let them know whats what.

As for tactics and what not, dansk seems pretty spot on and I can\'t really think of anything to add to it.

Perhaps you should take a trip to your local shop and ask the staff some questions, I\'ve found that GW staff are extremely helpful, and staff in other shops are usually as helpful as they can be (although they may not know the game as intimately as GW staffers).

The link that you put there are the high elves heroes not lords, does that mean that you can use heroes as your lords or not. All three heroes look pretty cool. As i have said i like the Elven spearmen unit, archers are not bad, their bolt thrower is amazing. But the new dwarf army coming out is making me reconsider what to choose. Does anyone know if Games Workshop has anything new planned for the high elves or not. If i buy the battalion now, maybe the new one may come out soon, the new models that is. As some of you have mentioned above diasadvantage of them is that the model cost too much and you will have less number of models compared to the some of the other armies for the same amount of points. New dwarfs look cool, i like defence, some of you also mentioned they are hard to break but less manouvarable, is this a huge disadvantage in the warhammer battles or not. The wood elves are ok, yet same as high elves they cost too much, they have cool models like waywatchers, glade guard are cool as well, the lord on foot is superb. Which of these three armies is:
    * the easiest to paint,
    * the one that has many strategies and is really good compared to all of the armies,
    * The most popular, which people play with it. Thanks for all your comments, i really do appreciate them all, as i am still deciding between these 3 armies. keep posting.

First off, models for heroes can be used as lord models. I have even used converted platics as lords, so it really doesnt matter what the model is, as long as the people you\'re playing with don\'t mind (however if you think you\'ll be in alot of official tournaments and what not it might be best to stick with the lord and hero models for convenience sake).

What army is coming out next? No idea. I\'ve heard rumors of orcs, empire, dark elves, and vampires. Right now its pretty much people making guesses and hoping for their favorites.

Dwarfs being less manouverable is not really a big disadvantage, as long as you take that into consideration with your strategy (i.e. dont plan on winning by out flanking and quick strategic strikes, although it could very well be possible...).

It\'s hard to say which are the easiest to paint. It depends on you\'re style and preferences. Dwarfs will involve alot of painting metal, and beards. Wood elves generally dont have alot of metals, so I\'m gonna say theres alot of cloth, leather and wood to paint (in what ever colors you choose mind you). While High elf models usually have an average mix of cloth and metals. So, if you hate painting hair, dwarfs might not be the best idea, but if you hate painting cloth then you might not enjoy high elves. Pick something you will enjoy painting, that wont be really frustrating.

I think every army has alot of strategies... I can\'t really comment on which ones have more... Or which are more versatile... I would say the amount of strategies depends alot on the composition of the army itself... Sorry I can\'t be of more help on that one.

As for popularity, I think wood elfs are probably most popular right now (what with their release a short while ago), however I think that the amount of dwarf players will probably increase alot once the boxes start coming out. I don\'t really know too many high elf players, but then again I don\'t know too many players anyways lol...

Hope my ramblings have helped in some way.

So, if you hate painting hair, dwarfs might not be the best idea.

i like painting hair as i find it the easiest to do, basecoat then drybrush, so easy and i enjoy it as well. Keep posting guys.
    Another ? approximately how many months pass until the games workshop revises another army.
    Thank you