So whats the average cost to start a warmachine army?

Thread: So whats the average cost to start a warmachine army?

Default So whats the average cost to start a warmachine army?

Well I took a break from mini painting and playing WH40K for a bit, and now it seems WH40K cost way to much for me to keep up with anymore. Warmachine looks pretty good, and there is a shop around me that plays it on a regular basis so I was thinking about jumping in. How much does it cost to get an army going though? And what would I need? I was looking on thewarstore.com and I see the rulebook and a Protective Battle Group Box set that I\'m going to get. But what else do I need, I see an Escalation book, do I need that? If it is $400+ like GW, then I will just stick to painting Reaper minis for fun :D

Thanks

the basic box for one of the four factions is like $40 bucks, Prime is $20, you\'ll definately need those to start with. Escalation is $35 and it helps, but you won\'t need it right away. Apothesis just came out and that\'s also $35, but again you don\'t need it....it just has new warcasters and 4 new unique jacks.
    typical games are 500-750 points. you can get started and playing for around $200
    and it\'s a great game, I enjoy it far more than 40k

Blog Entries

I\'d say you don\'t even need the $200. (Though, of course, if you like it you\'ll want everything, but that\'s another matter...)

Best bet is to pick up one of the starter faction boxes for $40. This will include the \"quick start\" rules, that cover the basics of the game, so you can get a little feel for it.

Prime is the first full rulebook they put out, and it\'s well worth the $20 (in fact, you might consider picking that up first, so that you can read about the various factions, see their units, etc.--which will help you decide which faction to play).

Generally, most games are around 500 points. You get about 350 or so in a starter box, so you really only need to add another couple of units and/or solos and you\'re up to 500 pretty quickly. Most units run around $20-$30 for multiple-model units.

So, if you\'re willing to drop, say, 1/4 of what GW would require to get started, here\'s what I\'d suggest.

Prime ($20)
    Faction Box of choice ($40)
    A cool solo/character type ($10)
    A unit or two of \"basic\" soldier types (spend around $40 combined).

That would likely put you pretty darn close to 500 points, and if you don\'t count the cost of the book you\'ve only spent 100 bucks on models.

One of the cool things, too, is that the models will come with their stat card, so you don\'t need to buy the expansion books right away (you\'ll want them eventually, though--they\'re extremely well done). Also, there\'s no separate book for each faction--it\'s all in Prime, Escalation, Apotheosis (and soon Superiority). Which means that you\'ll not have that horrid problem of having to buy all the books for every single army GW made just so you could know all the rules to be able to tell if your opponent was pulling a fast one... ;)

And it is a really fun game!:bouncy:

EDIT: I neglected to see that you were already considering Prime and the Protectorate box set. Get that and give it a go; it will give you plenty to get a basic feel for it.

If you\'re curious, the box set has:
    Crusader Heavy \'Jack (93)
    Repenter Light \'Jack (76)
    Revenger Light \'Jack (76)
    Warcaster Kreoss (64)

So that\'s 309 points.

Throw in a Knights Examplar unit (69), a Flameguard unit (53 for the box, and you can add up to another 4 troops for a total of 77), and a Paladin (19) for fun, and now you\'re at 474.

All those models are from Prime, too, but don\'t feel limited by that.

(And The Warstore is a great place to shop! I get most of my stuff from Neal, too.)

Thanks alot. This game sounds like a definate winner. So Escalation and Apothesis just add in new units and the like?

Time to send my order in I do believe :D

WAIT, what you really want is
    LICH LORD TERMINUS, a DEATHJACK, several Bonejacks, 10 Mechanithralls, a Skarlock...
    actually if you really want Menoth, order a Feora, much better warcaster than Kretard, I mean Kreoss. Her feat really burns my a$$.
    Good luck, under Menoth tactics on the Privateer forums, you can find the Warmachine college and it is very helpful to newbies.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Hawks58
    Thanks alot. This game sounds like a definate winner. So Escalation and Apothesis just add in new units and the like?

Time to send my order in I do believe :D
    Yes, Escalation and Apothesis mostly add new units, though there are a couple of other features in them, too.

Escalation has the beginnings of a campaign, and lots more fluff, as well as adding new units and a new unit type (unit attachments). It also contains errata/clarifications from Prime.

Apothesis includes another campaign and LOTS more fluff. It also includes \"epic\" warcasters (some of the old \'casters who\'ve \"levelled up\"), and a few new units (not as many as Escalation).

You can, however, still play *and* be competitive with stuff only from Prime (I\'ve seen an all-Prime army hand out some serious beatings over a Prime+Escalation army).

Might want to check out the prices over at do or dice.com, they seem to be cheaper than neals. heres the link.
    http://www.doordice.com/Games/CompanyDetails.cfm?Company_UID=T1VF8DSK&Search_Sta rtRow=131&View=ProductList

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Roddo
    Might want to check out the prices over at do or dice.com, they seem to be cheaper than neals. heres the link.
    http://www.doordice.com/Games/CompanyDetails.cfm?Company_UID=T1VF8DSK&Search_Sta rtRow=131&View=ProductList
    I just checked them out, and every Cryx item that I looked at (which was most of them) were cheaper at The War Store. I\'ve heard good things about Do or Dice, though, so if you like them by all means send them your business. I don\'t want to argue about \"which retailer is best,\" though, because that\'s a matter of preference and not really the point of this thread. ;)