Sick of good minis!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick of good minis!

Default Sick of good minis!

I swear I have voted on nothing but 8\'s and 9\'s all day. I\'m so **** sick of seeing nothing but the cream of the crop, I\'m about ready to stop voting altogether.

I hate to criticize, but I consider the new voting selection algorithm to be a Bad Idea. This site has a lot of dedicated contributors whose work will almost never be seen again. Just my opinion of course, but I\'m sticking to it.

Hahaha...
    ..Sounds a bit weird being sick of great mini\'s, but i can see where NSA is coming from.
    I have also been voting a lot of 8\'s and 9\'s also over the past few weeks.

heh... Interesting little topic. Every now and then I get a little overwhelmed by the abilities of my fellow painters on CMoN. However it\'s nice to have them around as it is something to aspire to. There\'s not as much drive to get better without painters that are living gods...

I have to agree with you NSA. Nothing but 8-9\'s gets old after a while. Yes I know that we get mini\'s with less than 50 votes.

I keep the score\'s hidden as I don\'t want to be infulenced by the current score, and I have found my scores being influenced by the number of votes.

Maybe a selection of voting options?
    Vote for: Less than 50
    Vote for: 50-100
    Vote for 100+

Sure, we can select more variety with the browse gallery stuff, but yeah, I can see where NSA\'s coming with, for sure.

Plus, this algo works a little against some of the new posters, too.
    IE: I\'ve just voted on 10 minis that are rated 9+, and then, BAM! A new painter who\'s just beginning\'s mini comes up and might deserve a 6, but will get spiked harder because we\'ve just looked at a bunch of super-spiffy paint jobs.

Honestly, all the fuss over wanting change and then the change comes and everyone is upset by it! Who cares! lol

Well a change is not necessarily always for the better...

I\'ll have to admit, I initially expressed reserved approval for this change:
    Originally posted by No Such Agency
    Pluses: I\'ll never randomly see some blobby mess or basecoated space marine from 2002 again :)
    But I now feel the \"baby\" (interesting minis rated 5-7.9) has been largely thrown out with the \"bathwater\" (basecoated Space Marines).

If you want to see all the non-great stuff, chose a manufacturer to browse from... When you\'re tired of that, change manufacturer. :)

Or go to the gallery and search for 5-8 rated minis. Come on folks, lighten up!

Originally posted by No Such Agency
    I hate to criticize, but I consider the new voting selection algorithm to be a Bad Idea. This site has a lot of dedicated contributors whose work will almost never be seen again. Just my opinion of course, but I\'m sticking to it.
    I totally agree. Seeing the best minis might be good but it\'s the average painter that needs to be encouraged and rated for his own improvement.

Please change the coding for a more representative random voting.

I don\'t have the same problem. I have been getting nothing but 4s and 5s today. Yesterday was the really nice high scoring pieces, the day before a nice mix. Maybe I am just lucky.lol

Well I clicked through about a 100 minis and got scores from 3.3 to 9.3 and every where in between.. though I saw a lot of minis 7.8-8.8 or so in scale.. what does this mean..mmmm maybe people are getting better.. or maybe people vote to high on some miniatures.

I know this Im seeing way more New miniatures and not repeats and I agree with who ever posted Im seeing less and less heres my glued together WIP marine..what do you think pictures.. there use to be so many WIPs that I think thats what was really slowing things down now.

Were over a 110,000 now in posted miniatures but the actual count is 64,142 in the gallery.. I wonder if there is a way for CA to tell us what the actual average painted miniatures score is for everything.
    Im betting its above 7.0

Originally posted by Dragon Forge Design
    Were over a 110,000 now in posted miniatures but the actual count is 64,142 in the gallery.. I wonder if there is a way for CA to tell us what the actual average painted miniatures score is for everything.
    Im betting its above 7.0
    I don\'t know about the average, but the median (my favorite measure of central tendency of course :D) is 6.6 (as seen on the 3207th page out of 6415, ordered by descending score).

Good. The less shite I have to see, the better!:D

Default Awww, come on Scott

The shite is what most of us enjoy seeing! lol
    If I wanted to see nothing but paintjobs better then mine I wouldn\'t need to look very hard, or very far. But when I come across one like that wraithlord/fuzzy pipecleaner it brings tears of joy to my eyes.

BTW, does anyone know where that pic is? I think the artist\'s name was Shadzar or some such, but after extensive searching I can\'t find it. It would be a shame to lose a pic that has brought so many of us such joy.

;):D

I don\'t like seeing all high scoring figures. Variety is the spice of lllife and all that :D

Shaz

Perhaps having the scores hidden should be a required voting strategy... I bet scores would go down then. I prefer to keep scores hidden before I vote on things.

Most people are too nice. I rate low across the board. I have my own requirements though. Extreme basing, extreme freehand or just amazingly inspired originality (perfect execution not required) are the only thing that get higher than a 7 from me. People need to keep in mind that a 5 is a Good mini...6 is a great mini, 7 is awesome, 8 and 9 are different degrees of amazing and 10 is something just amazing.

I\'ve given a 10 to something just to counter a bunch of 5s and 6s on something that deserved a 8 or 9 and I\'ve lowballed to counter fanboys on a mini that was just painted neatly and completely uninspired with 3 colors. Perhaps thats a good reason to hide scores, but I like being able to see what other people have voted. Shrug

remedy is simple - new algoritm, ie:
    under 50 votes - 40%
    over 8.0 score - 20%
    all minis - 40%

or something about (45-10-45 .. whatever you like)
    :idea:

what is the current algoritm anyway?
    ???