My \"Red House\" miniature

Thread: My \"Red House\" miniature

Default My \"Red House\" miniature

A little less than a year ago I built this model of the Red house in Bexleyheath outside of London. It was made as a school assignment instead of writing a dull text (though, in the end, it probably took me 10 times as much time as the stuff my class mates did lol ).

I finally took some decent pictures and decided to post it here on CMoN. I thought it would be fun since you really don\'t see many historical architectural miniatures around here.

Has anyone been to Red House? I have not, so I would be glad to hear if you recognize it :) It should be relatively accurate since I went to great lengths measuring all the walls, roofs and angles as exactly as possible. It is a very peculiar house with A LOT of things going on, I probably spent half the bloody time measuring, calculating and drawing lol Even the ivy and vegetation was accurate from the reference pictures I had (though the picture you can see here -found on the www- must\'ve been taken a few years from that). It was built in 1:48, the longest wall (third picture from the top) is about 35 cm (13.8\").

Original plan was to sculpt a William Morris mini to go with the house but, needless to say, I never got around to that.

I\'ll be happy to answer any and all questions about the miniature as well as the original (though I\'m not really an expert when it comes to the latter).

Okay, the miniature:

Please vote!

http://www.coolminiornot.com/111407

Now that is one seriously kickass \"terrain piece\" :D You damn well have better gotten a good grade on it!
    BTW, what scale is it?

Thanks, hehe actually I handed it in about a month late so I could only get second higest grade :)

I edited the first post adding the scale, it\'s built in 1:48 (in mini figure terms that\'d be about 37.5 mm)

My God, I\'d have you certified insane if that wasn\'t such a good model! Well-made my man...:wow:

Yup, what Rev said.

Fantastic work. 10 from me.

Fantastic work. The attention to detail is stunning. The painting is excellent. I also gave it a 10.

WOW
    That is a great terrain piece
    looks exactly like the original picture too.
    Did my Vote

Fantastic. Voted (10). Great detail.

That house is near where I live - I\'ve voted on the model as well.

Good job there matey

Shaz

Blog Entries

I edited the first post adding the scale, it\'s built in 1:48 (in mini figure terms that\'d be about 37.5 mm)
    Or in model railroading terms, \"O\" scale.

Good, and I mean really good and this is really good, senic scrathc built terrain for O scale is almost unheard of these days because most model railroaders use the smaller HO or N or even Z scale.

Seriously, you would probably get the editors of any railroading scenery magazine to start uncontrolable drooling if they were to ever get their eyes on the sight of your model.

Voted.

Thanks guys for the votes and kind words!

@Fizl: Cool, have you been into the house? I think it\'s a pretty cool interior, but I dunno if it\'s open for the public.

@tzor: yup, 0 scale (is it 0 or O?). It\'s a shame really that the scale is not very popular, I think it\'s perfect to work in. Not too tiny, not too big, you can get all the details you want and still use some of the H0 techniques.

Never been inside, no. Never been a huge one for interior design, and I get the feeling I\'ve already seen too much of his wallpaper designs! Seen from the outside though, and you have done a good job

Shaz

Amazingly unique piece.

Not being from the U.K. i\'ve never even heard of the red house. I wish i could model and paint for a school project.

I had to scroll up and back down a few times until i realized that it was a photograph of the real red house then after it was your version.

Blog Entries

@tzor: yup, 0 scale (is it 0 or O?). It\'s a shame really that the scale is not very popular, I think it\'s perfect to work in. Not too tiny, not too big, you can get all the details you want and still use some of the H0 techniques.
    It\'s the letter O. It was popularized by the Lionel train company but they cheated by mashing the horizontal scale. The reason this was necessary is that a true scale train has a massive turning radius in ) scale. In true scale curves can have a diameter of 72\", although the smallest by the Lionel company used a 27\" diameter - Known as O27 scale.

O scale fell out of fashion when HO scale became popular because it allowed true scale track layouts and still had a decent size of scenery. This became important because model railroading was concerned with the entire train trip, not just the scene at the station. Model railroad clubs could recreate whole railroad lines in their basements, whch cannot be done reasonably in O scale.