Damn Groundhog!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damn Groundhog!!!

Default Damn Groundhog!!!

PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. (AP) — Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, but it was hard to find a complainer in the crowd on Gobbler\'s Knob, where the morning temperature was well above freezing and Thursday\'s high was expected to hit 48 degrees.

Six more weeks of winter folks.... Crap!

Is it only here in the States that there is Groundhog day or some such event to try to predict the end of winter?

Default ...

Sadly, here in Canada people in small hick towns also seem to follow some groundhog that\'s been doing it for 50 years...they beleive it\'s been thru like 10 or something generations of groundhogs..

poor things :)

Sanjay

Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    Is it only here in the States that there is Groundhog day or some such event to try to predict the end of winter?
    yeah I was wondering about that myself. We have had a very warm January.. warmest since the 1800\'s on record because the jet stream has been stuck in a west to east flow keep all the cold air traped up north. But now its changing and its allowing all the cold artic air down and they are telling us to be ready for below normal temps for the month of Febuary.

I hate the cold :mad:

Im in NC and its been in the 50\'s/60\'s the past few weeks, but now its cooling down... I hate 40 degree weather... im from florida give me 95 and 100% humidty any day over 20\'s... :mad:

Originally posted by Hiliter
    Im in NC and its been in the 50\'s/60\'s the past few weeks, but now its cooling down... I hate 40 degree weather... im from florida give me 95 and 100% humidty any day over 20\'s... :mad:
    Id like a nice constant 78-80 and about 70% humity and Id be in heaven :)

I grew up in Minnesota and now like in Ohio.. I HATE winter!! Id move to Florida if it werent for the damn hurricanes.

I love the winter. I couldn\'t imagine living somewhere where it NEVER gets bitterly cold. I\'m talking cold enough to where your snot freezes when you take a deep breath....AHH REFRESHING!!

Originally posted by Dragon Forge Design
    ... Gobbler\'s Knob,....
    Only in PA do you find such lovely names! :P

And \"saw his shadow\"??!! It was cloudy this morning! Turn off the damn spotlights!

:duh:

I am so ready for winter to be over!
    usually we have really cold snowy winters here, not so this year, Rain, Rain,Rain, Wind, more Rain, Its getting to feel like we live in Seattle (Yuck) it was 60 degrees yesterday, I think we set a record!
    Give me SNOW and freezing temps. (it is going to be bug city this summer)
    So Mr Ground hog, I want a month of frigid cold, followed by a beautiful spring.
    Thank you
    Gin

Reasons that Cold Winters are better then warm ones.
    1. Wood fireplaces with marshmellows.
    2. I find it easier to warm up then cool down.
    3. Snuggling with a loved one under a thick blanket ;)
    4. A true reason not to get out of bed in the morning. brrrr. cold floors.
    5. snowball fights
    6. skiing
    7. Snow Forts to go with those snowballs
    8. and don\'t forget Frosty and all his snowmen/women friends (Thinking Calvin and Hobes here :) )
    9. Hot cholate
    10 the quiet bug free nights on the back porch smoking a heater.

Any other ideas?

Originally posted by mud duck
    ..smoking a heater.
    ???

I hope this is only a slang term I don\'t understand, because aren\'t smoking heaters a fire hazard?

Forget cold! California winter for me, if I want snow I can drive to the mountains 3 hours to get it.

But this morning I left my house at 6:45 to go to work...and I wore short sleaves :D

Originally posted by supervike
    I love the winter. I couldn\'t imagine living somewhere where it NEVER gets bitterly cold. I\'m talking cold enough to where your snot freezes when you take a deep breath....AHH REFRESHING!!
    Vike I think you have frozen your brain one to many times...

I gre up outside Minneapolis, I remember back in the 80\'s it got to about -48F below zero one time.. you could take a bucket of warm water and throw it in the air and it would vaporize befor ithit the ground..

YOu know, when I lived in Texas, I found I really, really missed winter and freezing cold weather. :rolleyes: Just a sicko I guess. I remember one Thanksgiving we had this big ice/snow storm. All the Texans were holed up in their homes and me and my (now x)brother-in-law (from Wisconsin) went out for a walk because we were both homesick.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Originally posted by mud duck
    Reasons that Cold Winters are better then warm ones.
    1. Wood fireplaces with marshmellows.
    Campfires with smores

2. I find it easier to warm up then cool down.
    No thank you. Jump in the lake

3. Snuggling with a loved one under a thick blanket ;)
    Snuggling with a loved one under a sheet.

4. A true reason not to get out of bed in the morning. brrrr. cold floors.
    Tile floors

5. snowball fights
    Waterballoon fights

6. skiing
    Waterskiing, surfing

7. Snow Forts to go with those snowballs
    Boatrides, fishing

8. and don\'t forget Frosty and all his snowmen/women friends (Thinking Calvin and Hobes here :) )
    Christmas is over, put up the plywood snowman.

9. Hot cholate
    Hot chocolate

Fire in the fire pit out back, cooking weinies.

Originally posted by airhead

Fire in the fire pit out back, cooking weinies.
    Ah, but Kev, youi missed two very important words there:
    BUG FREE
    if there\'s one thing that frigid weather is particularly good at, it\'s keeping the bugs in check. We don\'t get bugs big enough to throw a saddle on :D

You guys and girls are mental! The groundhog is running at only 39% correct. That means there is a greater chance youe summer will be coming sooner rather than later.

Personaly I am another winter lover. Love the cold; love the fog!

Blog Entries

I have to admit that is a little too cold for me. I much prefer a nice warmer temperature of just plain freezing or slightly below that point.

Of course I\'ve also lived in so called \"paradise\" aka Key West Florida where the local\'s blood was so thin that they would complain \"It\'s freezing\" when the temperature went below 60 degrees F and they start wearing the full mink coats when the temperature is 55 on a \"cold\" winter\'s night.

Yeah, its all what your used to....We\'ve had a very mild winter here as well.

I used to work outside on phone lines during the coldest of winters, but now that I work inside, I notice my poor little fingers can\'t take the cold like they used to...

\"Gobbler\'s Knob\"

lollollollollollollollollollol

I can be so childish.:D