Coincidences
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coincidences

Default Coincidences

Something weird happened. This weekend I\'m having a mini meet with Cindy and I invited a cousin\'s husband who\'s into wargaming. It turns out that he used to live in the appartment next to Cindy\'s years ago, well before she ever lived there. Life can be strange. :)

Any weird coincidences in your lives? :)

I past 3 years finishing my studies without knowing that a great school friend of mine was into wargaming. By chance we know live in the same city and a couple of years ago he called up and said : \"Hey, care to try a new game I got? But it\'s not a PC/Console game.\" Boy was I surprised to find out that he and his wife had just started playing LotR the wargame :P. The funniest thing was to hear him explain the concept of wargames ... I\'ve been playing since 1991 :P.

[silly thought]
    Maybe the miniature community needs to make up a secret sign so we can recognise the members faster :P.
    [/silly thought]

I have so many coincindences happen that there are too many to list! I\'ll just give you the two most memorable :D

First one was way back when Grumb and I were dating. One of his friends from college got a job and met his wife in Green River, Wyoming. Our friend, the groom, knew I was from Memphis, TN so at the rehearsal dinner he sat us next to his aunt and uncle, also from Memphis. Turns out his aunt was my uncle\'s girlfriend right before my aunt. Not too strange seeing as we were all Catholic at the time (I\'m not anymore) and we were both from Memphis, but...

Second thing that happened was when I was 2 mos. pregnant with oldest child and Grumb and I took a mini-vacation to the Bahamas. Went with another couple, husband is a fraternity brother of Grumb\'s and good friend of ours. On the flight back, I sat next to a woman who ended up being the next door neighbor to a girl I went to college with (and was my roommate\'s best friend) AND her brother was another fraternity brother of Grumb\'s. VERY WEIRD!! Stuff like this happens ALL THE TIME to me! (Guess that\'s what comes from being part of such a LARGE family! We have sources of gossip everywhere lol )

Back in college, I had a bizarre dream. I was driving on I-20 beneath overcast skies and passed a truck trailer left on the side of the road. One of the tires was missing, and a long gouge was left in the road to the point where it\'d been left (obviously, a tire blew and the driver pulled over right away). As I got closer to Atlanta, the road was filled with smashed or damaged cars. They were all greyed out, as if they weren\'t really there, except for one: a small white car. The trunk was opened, groceries were flung across the road, and this huge maelstrom was floating above the car.

It spooked me; I ended up driving home for the weekend. When I started back on Sunday, the skies were overcast.

I passed a truck trailer left on the side of the road. One of the tires was missing, and a long gouge was left in the road. This made me recall my dream, and I amusedly thought, \"Ah, haha, yes, and I\'m sure there will be a wreck up ahead.\"

Up ahead there was a wreck. A small white car. The trunk opened, groceries flung across the road. It had to have just happened moments before because there were no emergency vehicles and other drivers were just beginning to stop to help.

How\'s THAT for a freaky coincidence?

Kep

Kep, watch out, or life is going to get all \"final destination\" on you!

My biggest coinicidence is that I tend to keep meeting women from Khazakstan, which is a bit odd really...

My best friend in grade school in Oklahoma was Fred.

We went to different high schools and half-way through his family moved to California. I figured I\'d never see them again. Life figured different. We got back in touch when email was invented.

In grad school I moved to Boston.
    Fred got accepted at MIT for grad school so he moved to Boston.

After grad school I moved to California. (Fred still in Boston) In northern CA I lived about an hour from Fred\'s parents.

I decided to go to law school in Washington DC.
    About the same time Fred got a job with the Red Cross - in DC.

We never planned to live in the same place, we just keep bumping into each other.

[edit: Eric, I recently met a woman from Khazakstan too! At Fred\'s house! Fred\'s wife works for the World Bank though, so I end up meeting a lot of people from overseas]

Well ive got the winner I think..

Back in 1987 I had just finished a semester in London over seas study program. I had made my way to Dover to take the ferry over to Belgium and then take a train to Frankfrut where my plans were to drop off some luggage and head up to the Netherlands. Well I missed my connection out of dover so it put me way off schedual so when I finally arrived over in belgium I had to spend the night in the train station with a very crazy group of italians.. the next moring I caught my train to Germany and made it to frankfrut dropped off my luggage and caught a train to Amsterdam I think it was.. anyhoo this is where its gonna get creepy. So Im on the train, in a compartment getting all situated when the door flys open and these two girls come barging in with their luggage chattering away in Spanish..Im minding my own business when one of them goes..\"Can you speak English?\" Im like yes. So we started up a conversation..turned out they were sisters from mexico City traveling in Europe for the summer.. so they asked me while I was there and I told theym I had just finished school and was traveling befor I go back to school in the US this fall.. thats when one pipes up..Im going to school in the USA this fall to..I was like really? where? she says in Wisconsin..Now thats odd I go to school in Wisconsin too I tell her..shes like no way wouldnt it be funny if we went to the same school.. now Im thinking..not a chance..so I tell her I go to the University of Wisconsin Stout..in Menomonie Wisconsin.. the girl goes white and makes the sign on the cross and mutters something in spanish.. shes like no way..your lieing..Im like why..shes like thats where Im going to go to school.. you cant be.. prove it..so I show here my student ID with my school name on it.. well now this is just plain creepy..cause if I hadn\'t missed my train in Dover and kept my schedual Id never met this girl. So I gave her my school address and we parted a few hours later.. now jump a month into the future..Im back at school..unpacked and in my place when someone knocks on the door.. I open it and there standing befor me is the girl from mexico that I met on the train in Germany a month earlier..now tell me thats just not a concidence....:o

3 years after graduating from Uni, a GF and I were climbing Ben Nevis in Scotland. About halfway up we passed another couple walking down. I had to double take. \"Coops!!\" A guy who was on my course, half way up a mountain.

7 years after graduating I was stumbling around Glastonbury (as you do) just able to focus, and literally bumped into someone. \"Coops!\". there were 100000 people there.

last year, 16 years after graduating, I was taking my 7 year old round the Womad World Music Festival\'s childrens parade, and there, in front of me....you guessed it \"Coops!\". He had his 7 year old on his shoulders!!!!

one wierd thing happened 3 years ago while on vacation in Bolivia i met this really cute girl from san diego. she was half japanese and half australian. nice combo huh. well we dated on and off once we got back to the states but the long distance thing got in the way from L.A. to S.D.
    jump ahead 2 yrs and i start dating this girl that studies at UCLA same thing she\'s half japanese half aussie. when i heard this i just had passing thought of the girl 2 yrs earlier and never thought of it again.
    so one weekend we go to S.D. to visit her parents and guess who open the door its the ex. :o what da @$!*. turns out the ex is the big sister of my girl.
    they don\'t look anything a like. the ex has the asian features of the dad and my girl has the aussie features of the mom.
    and worst i had met the parents before.
    it was a wierd weekend to say the least with having slept with both sisters and the parents knowing this....shit. lol

DFD: So, did you get anywhere with the girl?

Orb: that\'s odd. I think he\'s trying to replace you....

dendawg: I was thinking DFD\'s was going to be a 2 sisters story but it wasn\'t, then you come along and save the day.
    - odd that you never discussed her family before going to see them....

Temporary Sanity

Originally posted by dendawg
    one wierd thing happened 3 years ago while on vacation in Bolivia i met this really cute girl from san diego. she was half japanese and half australian. nice combo huh. well we dated on and off once we got back to the states but the long distance thing got in the way from L.A. to S.D.
    jump ahead 2 yrs and i start dating this girl that studies at UCLA same thing she\'s half japanese half aussie. when i heard this i just had passing thought of the girl 2 yrs earlier and never thought of it again.
    so one weekend we go to S.D. to visit her parents and guess who open the door its the ex. :o what da @$!*. turns out the ex is the big sister of my girl.
    they don\'t look anything a like. the ex has the asian features of the dad and my girl has the aussie features of the mom.
    and worst i had met the parents before.
    it was a wierd weekend to say the least with having slept with both sisters and the parents knowing this....shit. lol
    Dude... hahahaha

lol, Orb, I first read yours and thought, \"hmmm, so he has ongoing legal troubles?\" then realized there were 2 o\'s in coops :)

Vince, that was the same question I asked him too, haha

A couple of \"mild\" ones, I guess.

First off, my wife and I went to high school together. I had a crush on her, but never got the nerve to talk to her.

12 years later we met again...and got married.

Then, we were pregnant. I had to fly to Chicago for work, and it was about three weeks before the due date. I spoke to a Dr. friend of mine..
    \'No worries. Three weeks to go, and most first babies are a little late--you\'re covered\".

My mom said, \"There\'s a full moon that weekend. You\'d better be ready to come home\".

Needless to say, my wife went into labor while I was in Chicago--around midnight.

No flights until 6am. So, I manage to get the last seat on a 6am flight to Atlanta.

We landed in Atlanta, and a lady in the isle next to me heard me talkin about the impending birth with my sister-n-law and how I may not make the birth.
    The lady cleared the way off the plane by screaming, \"His wife is in labor!\".
    So, I run through the Atlanta airport, get to the luggage carousel. One guy is standing there.
    \"You\'re wife is pregnant\".
    \"Yes\", I said.
    No sooner than I said it, the first piece of luggage came off the rack (that NEVER happens--there\'s always a wait). The guy looks at me (we\'re still the only two people at the carousel) and says,
    \"I\'ll be damned, that\'s my bag\".
    My heart fell a bit, as I just knew I was in for a wait...I contemplated just leaving and coming back. The next bag emerged.
    It was mine.
    I made it to the birth of my first and only daughter with about 15 minutes to spare.

Not much of one, I know. But it was a really important one.

The biggest coincidence I can think of is that I knew someone over IRC, back in the early days of the internet (when 2400 bps was considered super-fast modem speed).
    I used to talk to a girl who lived in Washington state a lot (almost all the way across the continent). Then she moved, and we lost touch.

Ten years later, I was chatting up a girl in a bar, hitting it off rather well, and we got to talking about the internet, and discovered that we\'d been friends long before.

We have since lost touch again.
    I can\'t compare to \'Coops!\'

waiting for the underground a man tapped me to ask the time, he was an EXEXEXEX schoolmate (elementary school) :D

Coops = Richard Cooper. There were two Richard Coopers on my course. Out of 25 of us. What a coincidence! The other was imaginatively called Richard.

Well nothing in my whole life has ever happened thats that freaky.....maybe the reaaaal coinsidence, is having no major coinsidnses happen at all in 18 years :rolleyes:

- odd that you never discussed her family before going to see them....

vincegamer... at the time we were only been seeing each other for about a month sure we discussed our families at the time but i never really gave it much thought nothing was really going off in my mind the only thing going through my mind was trying to get her in bed.
    in retrospect little warning signs should have been smacking me upside the head DANGER WOOP WOOP DANGER!!! lol
    but over 2 years went by between the sisters and i don\'t know about the rest of you but i really don\'t remember the families much less the parents or evan sometimes the girls of my past.
    i know that sounds bad but hey shit happens and shit hits the fan you just gotta learn duck. :D

And as with many things, how awkward it may be at the moment, when it\'s long past it\'s fun to tell about. :) Er, you did check at the second visit there were no other sisters I assume? ;)

What other coincidences have I had? Quite a number but I can\'t think of any right now apart from meeting the sister of a guy I met at a hostel in Sydney while travelling in New Zealand.

Blog Entries

Being from Waco and living in Austin, there are a number of folks I run into that I went to school or church with growing up - but the best story goes like this -

This girl I know in Austin wanted to introduce me to another friend of hers from Waco, since we both could tell her growing up in Waco horror stories. We met, and looked at her and said - \"I\'ve known him for 20 + Years,\" and spent the rest of the night catching up, while the young lady looked on dumbfounded

Course the second best goes like this -

While I was living in Bryan College Station, I worked for a company that made animal caging systems, along with my mother. One of the welders (who had lived in Waco for a while) and I were shooting the shyte at lunch and I went into this long story about how my mom had threatened a guy on a motorcycle with a baseball bat one day. Dwayne looked at me and said \"Thats why your mom looks familiar\", cause he was the guy. So I took him to my mom\'s office, reminded her of the story and then brought him into the office. Her response? \"I thought Dwayne looked familiar.\"