GD LA - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GD LA

should we make a certain place to meet? Maybe the paint-and-take table at 2:00.

Default Trip

Oh wow! It seems like there is a lot of new responses since I started the thread. First of all I think it seems great to meet over a burger. How will I find you guys. Secondly. I´m from Sweden and is staying at a friends house in Hollywood. Is there anyone you will be passing on their way to the event? I have no idea how to get to Ontario.....I would appreciate it immensely and would definetely PAY you for the trouble

Cheers,

Alex

Alex: i wish i could...i\'ll be flying in from Baltimore, and i won\'t have a car. Everything for the convention (hotel, food, beer) is within walking distance. My wife is from the immediate area, and even SHE doesn\'t know anyone that\'s coming up from that way... :(

Lili: Aww...what a sweetheart! We miss seeing you, too! Cassie was especially touched that you remembered her (yes, you spelled her name right!). We both can\'t wait to see you and your fantastic painting again soon!

And, yes, Ainu....we all have implants to make us better painters and answer millions of emails. Well...i think Eric got MY share of the painting implant along with his own...
    :D

As far as why Duel and Battle Scene were taken out of Golden Demon, i really don\'t know. i suspect, though, it was because they wanted to streamline the categories a bit, and those two were the least entered. This is just speculation on my part. i really have no true idea.

Good luck, guys. Only a week left. Better get snapping! Feel the pressure yet!? ;)

Wish I could go just to see EricJ\'s work in person, but LA is the last US GD I could attend due to how far away it is. Going to try to make it to Chicago, though.

Heh. Is there a pool yet on how many of Eric\'s entries will be golds? <G>

Kep

heyheyhey! no presure here guys. Actually my one entry that I think has the best shot at a trophy is still about 2/3rds done and I seem to have run into a major mental roadblock, hopefully I can work through it before the day.

Anyway, I\'m really happy to hear the names heading to the event, and sad you couldn\'t make it Lili! I think it should be fun!

Originally posted by EricJ

And don\'t worry about my painting, I\'ve never really competed in a live comp before, and actually never even looked at top quality minis in person, so I don\'t know if mine measure up. I know how to paint to trick the camera into looking good, I\'m not sure if that translates to tricking the eye. I gues we\'ll see in a couple weeks!
    Chap, that\'s a really honest appraisal. You caused me to feel something that my dictionary calls admiration. Stop it!

Good luck by the way. If there were bets to be laid I\'d have a cheeky flutter on you winning a gold if not the main shebang. Good luck.

Default Maybe next year

Originally posted by EricJ
    Anyway, I\'m really happy to hear the names heading to the event, and sad you couldn\'t make it Lili! I think it should be fun!
    Maybe next year Eric. To me GDLA is the most convenient Games Day compared to the other 3. Baltimore is fun (crabcakes, yummmm!), but the airfare and lodging are a bit much for me. Chicago is fun too since I have my painting buddies there (Jen, Sue, Noel, Joe Orteza, Adam Catt, etc), but so far I\'m still fond of a walk distance convention center and nice - affordable bedroom suite with breakfast buffet! :D

Lili

And don\'t worry about my painting, I\'ve never really competed in a live comp before, and actually never even looked at top quality minis in person, so I don\'t know if mine measure up. I know how to paint to trick the camera into looking good, I\'m not sure if that translates to tricking the eye. I gues we\'ll see in a couple weeks!
    Darin and I have discussed your impending games day at some length. We both suspect that you\'ll do well. Although, there is a bit of a discrepancy in painting for camera/in person---I don\'t think it\'s as wide a margin as some would believe. You put some ultra-smooth paint on your miniatures, and that in itself is the most difficult goal of these competitions.
    Just *enjoy* the experience----and stay out of the trap of disappointment. The attitude you currently have is a winning attitude---regardless of the outcome.

For what my humble opinion is worth...
    Kev

well im in... maybe i will re-enter my infamous space skaven rhino! aside from entering every other category too.:D

As long as Eric doesn\'t enter in Youngbloods I\'m fine. :D

Lili,
    I am sad you will not be there. I even painted a little tribute to you on one of my minis. I think that I will be going to Chicago so hopfully I get to see you there.

ericj
    If you have four models complete already I am in trouble. I have no doubt that you will bringing a few trophies home. I love your work!!

As for me I am 2/3rds done on all my minis too. I am just trying to finish something that might have a chance. I have been sitting at my painting desk trying to work out some painting blocks aaaarrrrrrg.

I am excited to go.... I would sugest playing in the rouge trader so you don\'t have to worry all day if you are going to make the cut or not. That is what I do.

Must finish something....

Good luck to everyone.

Ah yes, painting block, that\'s where I am now. I am forcing myself to paint some every day, but of course it\'s not turning out as well as what I was doing when it was all flowing out of the brush nicely. Just no one turn the mini around :D

Thanks for the support everyone, I hope to do well, but if I don\'t, I\'m sure it will just give me that much more motivation next time, which is probably a good thing! All my projects are fairly simple, but I have a few bigger ones in mind that could use me getting a kick in the butt to get done properly.

And don\'t worry, I\'m a few years past entering youngbloods!

Seriously EricJ, don\'t worry, just finish the models, the skills you\'ve displayed are indication that you can pull it off very well. I\'ve seen your entry for Fantasy single (I believe I did anyway, freehand leaves on cape?...) and I think it\'s exactly the stuff of Golden Demons. Now whether you get Gold, Silver or Bronze depends entirely on competition. So stop reading the forum and get back to work! Got to get them finished!

I\'m trying to get my squad complete, and my schedule shows I\'ll finish Thursday night, just before taking the plane friday to LA, that\'s cutting it tight! Am I the only one painting 5h per night to finish in time? Can\'t wait for LA, and sleeping in on weekends afterwards instead of getting up at 7:00am to paint all day. I\'ll have spent a good 300h on converting + painting, I hope it shows...

Silphid

I don\'t think that I have selpt the night before the Games day. I always stay up all night because I am never done.

@ Vincent- What squad are you working on?

Ahhhh... you\'ll have to wait for GD LA to find out! ;):D

I\'ll tease and say it\'s Chaos but not Khorne, and though you\'ll instantly know what they are, you won\'t recognize the models from anywhere...

???

Vincent

[i]Am I the only one painting 5h per night to finish in time? Can\'t wait for LA, and sleeping in on weekends afterwards instead of getting up at 7:00am to paint all day. I\'ll have spent a good 300h on converting + painting, I hope it shows...
    Silphid
    Oh trust me. You\'re not the only one :) My project for GDLA 2004 consumed a ton of hours. I even took couple days off from work and slept only 5 hours every night and it still wasn\'t done on time. I went straight to the hotel on Friday morning and stayed there painting until 11PM. On Saturday morning I was still panicking - looking for DullCote. :P

Lili

Originally posted by Cocanour
    Lili,
    I am sad you will not be there. I even painted a little tribute to you on one of my minis. I think that I will be going to Chicago so hopfully I get to see you there.

[/i]
    Cocanour. hmmm... a little tribute? :) I wanna see! :) So you\'re not going to GD LA? I\'m skipping this year ... again ... :(

I was planning to go this year, but just got promoted at work, which is good, but that means less free time for me :(

Lili