GD LA - Page 8
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: GD LA

Originally posted by RedSevenBlue
    seriously, no one does, can someone answer my question about the vindicare assassin. :(
    Dude you need to learn some patience.. that was a whole hour you waited to whine that no one answered your question..Its Sunday for starters not that many people on line.. give people a couple days to answer ok..

I aim to change that.
    @RedSevenBlue

This is the reason why you were so disspointed at Atlanta GD when you lost at youngbloods. Those winners were no where near how good their \'parents\' would paint if they did the hobby (no offence). You tried to soften the blow of not winning by making it sound like they were cheaters, but really they weren\'t. What I am saying is, don\'t be dissapointed when you enter your assn. and you don\'t win. I am going to Chicago GD and know that I wont win anything, so I don\'t know why someone with 3 months of experience expects to win a Golden Demon. It takes most people years to work up to that, and I\'m sorry if I sound mean (I know I do :(), but I hope that you understand what I am saying.

@Adam That chappie is a work of art! Great job on the gold! I can\'t believe that you didn\'t place in WFB single, though!

Good job everyone!

I personally wouldn\'t recommend entering a vindicare assassin - the models are pretty ugly, regardless of the paintjob quality. So you have to overcome the lack of appeal of the sculpts AND impress with the paintjob.

Better to start with a cooler model and then do a bang up paintjob.

Default Wow...

what else can i say about the LA GD entries...? They were REALLY stunning, and were amply fueled by a lot of the CMON painters that showed up to compete! Many congrats to ALL the CMON painters that entered, as even some of the Honorable Mention shots that i took would be considered Slayer Sword quality paintjobs!

It was also GREAT to meet a lot of you that went out there! Sorry lunch was kinda rushed...Cassie and i really only had an hour, and i hadn\'t realized that the line for the joint would be so crazy! And also my apologies to those who went out to the Indian restaurant for dinner and missed me because i had to stay and help break down the event. My wife Cassie said it was a LOT of fun, and she looks forward to it next year, too!

And, of course, a special congratulations to Tim Holly for his Slayer Sword-winning squad! It\'s about time that Tim\'s talent was recognized with a Sword! GREAT job, man!

well, just got back from games day and it was a blast! :D Congrats to all the winners. i am proud to say that i made first cut with 5 out of 8 of my entries, and got 2 bronzes: My ork battlewagon (the one that all the judges were afraid to touch for fear of breaking the hunk of junk) and my Eowyn in LOTR single.

it was nice to meet all of you, i look foreward to next year. Be ready for my stuff, as im not going to be rushing, doing grungy ork stuff, its bright, Brian Shaw style from now on!!!:D

-Matt Sterbenz

Originally posted by AinuLainour

I aim to change that.
    @RedSevenBlue

This is the reason why you were so disspointed at Atlanta GD when you lost at youngbloods. Those winners were no where near how good their \'parents\' would paint if they did the hobby (no offence). You tried to soften the blow of not winning by making it sound like they were cheaters, but really they weren\'t. What I am saying is, don\'t be dissapointed when you enter your assn. and you don\'t win. I am going to Chicago GD and know that I wont win anything, so I don\'t know why someone with 3 months of experience expects to win a Golden Demon. It takes most people years to work up to that, and I\'m sorry if I sound mean (I know I do :(), but I hope that you understand what I am saying.

@Adam That chappie is a work of art! Great job on the gold! I can\'t believe that you didn\'t place in WFB single, though!

Good job everyone!

I expected to make first cut, and if I did win something, I expected it to be the bronze.

@Jarret - I have to admit it is a pretty ugly model, but, if you paint it right and make it sort of diorama like on the base, it ends up looking fantastic.

@AinuLainour - Yeah, that did sound sorta mean. But, I have been learning alor lately on painting things and when I post my champion and my commander, you\'ll see I\'ve improved alot. And yes, I have met some prodegies that can paint better than me in just 2 weeks, even better than you! I met him merely through chance though, he\'s related to one of the employees at the local GW. He entered one model in the local painting contest against some really good painters and won, when I asked him how long he\'s been painting he said \"2 or 3 weeks, depends on how you count the breaks.\" lol

Originally posted by RedSevenBlue
    I expected to make first cut, and if I did win something, I expected it to be the bronze.
    Granted, I am not an artistic person, but I was painting for 10 years before I made my first first cut.

And when good painters tell you that they have only been painting minis for a short time, they probably have a background in other forms of art so they might have as well have been painting minis for awhile.

Over all it was a great year, it was good meeting everybody and this year really changed my outlook on the hobby. The turn out was amazing and the quality and quantity of entries really bodes well for the future of the hobby.

Im all fired up about next GD now lol, cya all there.:D

Default WOW!

I saw a lot of great work there. Thanks for the pictures. Congrats to the winners, especially EricJ for his first demon and Tim for his first Slayer Sword :)

--Lili

Default you did a great job tagron

that chaplain was a lovely piece of work, as were Tim\'s slaaneshi and eric\'s wood elf (that banner!)... who was it that did that beautiful shaggoth? fantasy single was a brutal, brutal category this year, as was 40k unit (and a few others). overall, much better than last year

btw, first post here, I was the guy in the club shirt talking to Tim as you guys were going up for awards at the end... good show, and I\'m glad Tim got the sword. Those templars were beautiful...

I\'m still tickled that my game club won best club table (the long d-day table).

A ton of fun!

Steve, awesome to meet you, you and Cassie were great!

Vincent, I need to get my butt up to Canada with an army one of these years, really nice talking with you. Looking forward to running into you at another GD.

Adam, Tim really nice work was a lot of funny hanging out and talking to pass those hours, lol

Amy, I hope the rest of your trip is safe, say hi to everyone on the rest of your various stops for me

Jeff, Matt, glad to finally meet some of the bay area crew, next year we need more of us down there and clean up a few more of those trohpies!

Other Matt, congrats on your trophies, sorry we didn\'t have more time to talk minis, I was getting pretty tired there nearer to the end.

All in all a fun day, and I even have an entry I\'m proud of left over for another competition :)

HA! and nothing about me being there Eric :p i really made an impression Huh lol

Originally posted by leopardpixie
    HA! and nothing about me being there Eric :p i really made an impression Huh lol
    Haha, tiff! I was so glad you came out, even if I had to leave before all the fun started! :(

You just didn\'t have to sit through the 5-6 hours of waiting like the rest of us.

Oh, also Conocur, and Alex, great meeting you too! There were so many people, we had about 15 at lunch I think!

Default I AGREE

I agree with all above, the competition was way above expectation. I want to thank you all who gave me tips and critique. As I said to you guys at the comp. it was the first time I saw display quality miniatures IRL and now I know where the bar lies. I had a great time and I want to congrats all the winners - a strong effort

Cheers from Hollywood!:)

All i have to say is that you Eric are TALL!!!

And yes, I have met some prodegies that can paint better than me in just 2 weeks, even better than you!
    Normally, I wouldn\'t take that kind of abuse (:mad: ), but I feel like I didn\'t say what I mean\'t in the nicest way possible- so sorry. But I still doubt that\'d he\'s better than me at this point. :) Good luck at the first cut, RedSevenBlue. Keep on painting!

Everyone else, wow.. I didn\'t know that that chappy was yours, Adam. And Adam, I wanted you to know that your Coteaz that won at the conflict is what inspired my Neopyhte winner of Coteaz. If it weren\'t for you, I\'d have one of those boring, yet flashy gold Coteaz\'s. lol I also wanted to say that your chappy and Tom and Vincent\'s squads were really inspiring, but I wish that I had a picture of Tim\'s squad! ???

Default GDLA Winners

Here\' s the winners (as best I can remember them and names I knew) and pics numbers from the Ordo Fanaticus site posted earlier (sorry I\'m bad with the html here, so just the pic numbers). Apologies now if I got any of these wrong.

Congrats to all the winners!

40K Single
    Gold - Adam Roe - #543
    Silver - #594
    Bronze - Brice Cocanour - #563

40K Squad
    G - Tim Holly Slayer Sword
    S - Tom Schadle #459
    B - Vincent Hudon #468

40K Vehicle
    G - #415
    S - #432
    B - Matt Sterbenz #452

Fantasy Single
    G - Tim Holly #370
    S - Jeff Freeman #378
    B - Eric J. #382

Fantasy Regiment/Monster
    G #320
    S Michael Summers #589
    B #279

LotR Single
    G - Eric J. #268
    S - ?
    B - Matt Sterbenz #275

LotR Regiment/Monster
    G #254
    S #258
    B #260

Youngbloods
    G ?
    S ?
    B #239

Open
    G \'nid vs. Space Marine
    S #204
    B Armoured Troll

Well, that\'s the best I could do. There weren\'t pics of some, and I don\'t remember the others. Overall, a good competition, better than the last few years at LA or Atlanta. 40K Single and Squad had to be the toughest, and the judging didn\'t go the way I thought it might (it never does), but I didn\'t have the luxury of time to study the pieces in detail. A lot of good stuff in the other pics. Congrats to all of entered.

-Jeff Freeman

Congratulations on your silver, Jeff. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention how utterly terrible the lighting was. They picked the darkest corner in the place. Barely any of my own pictures turned out because the auto settings had to use slow shutter speeds I guess, and I must have an unsteady hand, they\'re all blurry. I noticed when I was taking pics, down low in front of the cases to shoot head-on mind you, that I was casting a shadow on the figures. So more light was coming from behind me than from above. Poor choice. Hopefully Dirty Steve\'s official coverage will show things better.

Vincent\'s squad had subtle images (faces & symbols) painted on every free surface, but you couldn\'t make them out unless you were a couple of inches away, you could hardly see them from behind the glass. Get us some pics Vincent!

Bummer that there was no picture of the sword winner. Kinda wierd even :)