how was this done?

Thread: how was this done?

Default how was this done?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/18618

Ive contacted the poster in English. Ive also enlisted the aid of someone who speaks french. But no response yet so Im putting it to the experts. What techniques would you use to make the sandstone look the way he has it looking?

Also any tips for doing the heiroglyphs?

for the sandstone take this as an example:

http://www.ghostpainter.net/temple_ruin.htm

I think it has a similar look. Basecolor is a mix of Raw Sienna+White, drybrush or highlight by adding more white (up to pure white) then washes with raw sienna and burnt umber.

thanks Ghostpainter. Raw sienna and burnt umber are what ranges. GW or vallejo?

Originally posted by slannpriest
    thanks Ghostpainter. Raw sienna and burnt umber are what ranges. GW or vallejo?
    Neither. They are pigment names for \"real\" paint. GW equivalents might be Scorched Brown for burnt umber, and Snakebite Leather for raw sienna.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Originally posted by slannpriest...Raw sienna and burnt umber are what ranges?...
    Those would be the standard pigments colors. (Artists acrylics or oils).
    See Liquitex, Windsor & Newton, Golden, etc. then match accordingly to they brand of paints you use.

NSA beat me to it.

lol

the colors are from an artist tubes paint range. W&N Finity to be specific. But any other brand will do too.

Vallejo has burnt umber in their ModelColor range, but that is more a raw umber in my opinion.

Maybe try Plague Brown (VGC) and Charred Brown instead.

:rolleyes: too slow!! snakebite leather sounds good!

Message original : slannpriestIve contacted the poster in English. Ive also enlisted the aid of someone who speaks french. But no response yet so Im putting it to the experts.
    AlaricCanton hasn\'t posted any new minis since May 19th 2004 so I\'d be surprised if you get an answer from him.

I\'d use for the sandstone : Vomit Brown (GW) for the base color, add a light wash of Dark Flesh (GW), and hightlight with Bleached Bone (GW) and Skull White (GW).

You might want to the heiroglyphs with a thin tipped black pen or find some transfers. Otherwise, a stable hand allways works (be sure to draw your motifs or look them up on the net or in egyptology books before though).

thanks, your help is much appreciated guys.
    AlaricCanton hasn\'t posted any new minis since May 19th 2004 so I\'d be surprised if you get an answer from him
    good point. I didnt even think to look.
    They are pigment names for \"real\" paint
    real :o you mean no more goblin green and scab red? :(

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

here is a fun place to get some glyphs -

http://hieroglyphs.net/0301/cgi/pager.pl?p=01

basicly - what is your ancient egyptian name?

Airhead=

thanks for the link. The most appropriate thing I could put together was \"moon strik\" which is kinda like night strike which is more what I was going for. I dont know how to post the hieroglyphs like you did.

That\'s a cool site, airhead.

Here\'s mine:

marineboy

And thank you all kindly for the recipe for good sandstone -- be using that on an ME7 base.:)