I want a fast car!

Thread: I want a fast car!

Default I want a fast car!

Does anyone know of a source of nice modern model or toy cars (preferably of the sports car and sedan type) that are in scale for 25-28mm minis?

Blog Entries

Have you tried the local model railroad shop?

What scale would be correct? O is too small, that\'s all I know.

Blog Entries

O may be too small. There are actually three standards out there: 1:43, 1:45, or 1:48

In Britain, O gauge equipment is produced at a scale of 1:43, which is 7 mm to the foot (using the common British practice of modelling in metric prototypes originally produced using Imperial measurements). It\'s often called 7 mm scale for this reason.
    This might be a tad large, because it would mean that a 28mm mini is 4\' ... not 5\' but it is still close enough for government work.

The British 1:43 rail scale gave birth to series of die cast cars and model commercial vehicles of the same scale which gradually grew in popularity and spread to France, the rest of Europe and North America at the same time that the rail models were becoming less popular.
    You can get a plethora of cars at 1:43 scale. Just gogle for 1:43 scale cars.

I also collect 1:43 scale cars and I just compared a Spacemarine scout to one and it works well.

excelent. Thanks. Looking at the car sites wasn\'t giving me a relation to minis.
    Can I assume the larger the 2nd number the smaller the car?
    The first site I looked at had cars in
    1:28, 1:18, 1:24, 1:43, 1:64, 1:72.

Of those, looks like 1:43 will be the closest. I\'d like to see 45 and 48 too.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Dang - all this time I thought we were at 1:60 (1 inch = 5 feet for us non-metrics)
    That is what movement has been on D&D for forever.

Which compairs favoroably to S (1:64) scale on model railroads (a seeminly short lived scale that died out in the 50\'s and has some crappy buildings associated with it if you search ebay.)

Reaper\'s Heroic and GW\'s 30 or 32mm scale is to a 6 foot guy? .03 m : 1.8288 m is 1:61 (give or take just a bit.)

Now if you take that space marine off of his base, that vette looks a bit big on him - most 6 foot guys have a hard time fitting in a vette, let alone in power armor.

Wouldn\'t 1:64th be closer?

Now herocliks uses a 1.5\" to 5\' scale which would be 1:48

Originally posted by airhead

Now if you take that space marine off of his base, that vette looks a bit big on him - most 6 foot guys have a hard time fitting in a vette, let alone in power armor.
    I\'m 6\'1\" and I fit into my vette comfortably.

Here\'s a different picture without a base. Sorry for the poor quality as it was done quickly but I think it still shows what you\'re looking for.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

my point exactly, he stands barely above the roof of th car. Fine for game play, but if you try to tell me that is the right scale, then spacemarines are barely 5\' tall.

I can live with that. I really just wanted to post a picture of another one of my 1:43 scale cars :D
    Wanna see some more?

Well, I\'ve learned a lot in the past month.
    I bought a lot of 15 die cast police cars on ebay. Most of them are 1:43 scale.
    They are nice toys, but are definitely big.
    The mini that is to be the center of the diorama is an old lady and she barely comes above the fender.

1:43 is a bit too big
    1:61 is way too small (seems to be the \"hot wheels\" size)
    1:55 I think is also a bit small, and is definitely hard to find.
    1:50 would probably be perfect, and lots of stuff is done in 1:50 scale - unfortunately it all seems to be military vehicles and construction equipment.

I occasionally see 1:48 scale, but for some reason those cars are \"superdeformed\" - they are never realistically proportioned.

I think I will have to use some 1:43 cars. I think I may be stuck with that. I could find a sports car in a smaller scale, and just use some forced perspective, but I\'ve never done that so wish me luck.

p.s. anyone interested in a 1:43 die cast Ford Crown Victoria with Maine highway patrol markings? (there\'s a few other states too).

This is good stuff to know Vince. I actually have been looking for some scale model \'modern\' cars for a few weeks.

I was really wondering about the 1:43 scale since and how it would work with minis. I won\'t be using that one for sure.

It has been hard for me to find any scale, other than 1:18 and 1:24, both way too big.

Post any links you might have for convincing scales....

NecroN

There is a company that sells diecast cars at all the local deparment stores around here, that made vehicles that appeared to be the perfect scale for the Clix games. I picked up a few and used them for the short time I played \'clix. I know Clix are a bit smaller then most minis though.

Plus there is the problem of me not remembering the name of the company. It was an Itallian sounding name and they had cars in about 6 different scales. The prices were dirt cheap on the proper scaled ones (under $2 CDN).

There finally found it:
    http://www.maisto.com/

1/18, 1/24, 1/25, 1/27, 1/43, and 1/64

Hmm.. I am guessing we were using the 1/43, sorry thought they had more sizes.

Default I want a fast car..

Of course you do...you\'re a Lawyer....

You might even \'need\' a fast car...:innocent::bouncy:

Originally posted by supervike
    I was really wondering about the 1:43 scale since and how it would work with minis. I won\'t be using that one for sure.
    Best I can do is post a pic with some minis from various manufacturers next to a 1:43 scale 1998 Ford Crown Victoria \"National Park Service\" police car.
    I\'ll post one probably this coming weekend.

I can show pics next to some others as well, but I\'m not taking them out of the package so no promises as to picture quality.

Originally posted by airhead
    Dang - all this time I thought we were at 1:60 (1 inch = 5 feet for us non-metrics)
    Heightwise you\'re pretty much correct. Problem is that several figure ranges use a non realistic proportion (less than 1:7 body:head) which makes a figure look a tad short and wide. So, if you put it next to a 1:60 scale vehicle it may look too small while with a 1:48 it looks ok. GW is one of them. I remember something about a company calculating with 1:60 for height and 1:48 for width or something like that. Put a thunderbolt mountain figure next to a 1:60 scale vehicle will give a different impression altogether.

Exactly, proportions, especially on gw stuff is awful. Just compare any GW mini to the 1:35 tamyia stuff. The GW guns are way bigger especially in diameter (boltguns are like 150mm cannons...), yet the vehicles in 1:35 barely look big enough.

I have never been able to find a model car or tank that really looks \'right\' next to a gw mini.

Originally posted by vincegamer
    Best I can do is post a pic with some minis from various manufacturers next to a 1:43 scale 1998 Ford Crown Victoria \"National Park Service\" police car.
    Well, it took a while, but I finally got around to the pic.

From left to right:
    Hasslefree Tiriel; Dark Sword Amazon; SJB Alejandra (CMON); I-kore Commander X; Grenadier female evil warrior (1987).
    And in case you didn\'t notice, there\'s a GW space marine in the passenger seat. I can\'t close the door though. I think he\'s the old side-car passenger.

*note, the minis have bases but the car does not.

Hey Vince...thats not too bad!! I could almost live with that scale....

How many of those cars did you buy???