How could you achieve this effect? (Mother of Pearl)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How could you achieve this effect? (Mother of Pearl)

Default How could you achieve this effect? (Mother of Pearl)

I was wondering if anyone knew of a technique for achieving this effect?

Over the Easter break I want to start painting again and thought this would look good on some Eldar swooping hawks wings.

Any thoughts on how to acheive the effect would be gratefully received.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

1. go to home depot, look around the designer paints, find a quart of irridesent paint. Simple - but you have more paint than you\'ll ever use.

-or-

2. send me a PM and sase & I\'ll ship you a bit of my quart.

Granted, Kevin\'s way (airhead\'s way) is like a gajillion times simpler, but... there\'s always:
    NISSISS (non-irradescent seashell irradescent seashell) (patent pending) :D

Seriously though, this, and virtually anyother effect, can be approximated by carefully studying the real thing. The picture you posted itself contains a lot of what you\'d need to produce the effect. Study the colors carefully and the way they interact with each other and their juxtapositions.

For example, it looks to me like the main color is kind of a dull medium blue-grey with some subtle variations. THe highlights appear to build up from blues through greens to bright yellow on one side and up through dull reds and orange to yellow on the other side with a final, bright white hightlight.

Now actually achieving that is much more easily said than done :( but its not unlike NMM or SENMM; you just have to really study the way the actual material looks and reacts to get clues on how to reproduce it. Just to wax philosophic, probably the majority of art is in learning to see properly.

Still, I like that idea of NISSISS :idea: I know! I\'ll form a company: International Paint Problems Incorporated (IPPI) and market it under the trade name NISSISSIPPI :D

Thanks guys.

The irridescent paint idea sounds easy but i dont think it would look right.

I figured it was going to be a case of SENMM style painting but hoped someone had ome up with an easy and effective method.

NISSISS sounds like another oppourtunity to confuse those who don\'t like acronyms, and so I like it :) although possibly we could lose the (redundant?) double S\'s, just giving NISIS?

I would say using SENMM to achieve that effect will be nigh-on impossible, you\'d be best of with the iridescent paint

Winsor & Newton Pearlescent Acrylic. Artists tube.

You can add whatever wash you wish over the top or not as the case may be.

Blog Entries

I\'ve been looking into this sort of thing for a long time. The main interest I want is the oil-on-water-on-the-road look. The rainbowie goodness on a black background would be incredibly difficult but oh so good looking on a model.

Originally posted by raathistle
    NISSISS sounds like another oppourtunity to confuse those who don\'t like acronyms, and so I like it :) although possibly we could lose the (redundant?) double S\'s, just giving NISIS?
    Yeah, just left the double S\'s in so I could spell Nississippi :D Oh, and as I forgot to mention it before: Welcome to the Forums. Most of the people here are quite helpful, even friendly in their own wierd ways. Myself excluded, of course. ;)

Wasnt there a thread on this already. I seem to remeber using green, blue and silver to create the effect of the oil spill just cant find the original thread. i think Wolf fang posted it.

Take a look at Whizard Hlavaz\'s Silver Demon winning Abbadon. He used an effect similar to this on the armor.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/117239

It\'s somewhat difficult to see in the picture, but the armor shifts from green to purple (I apologize for not knowing the name of the effect...Darin said it many times over the course of the weekend and it never quite stuck in my mind. I just call it \'that car paint thing\'.) :D

I believe there is a pearlescent paint that comes in many colors made by Ceramcoat. It\'s usually found in craft type stores not model or gamming stores.

Thanks for all the input, sounds llike its not going to be possible then. Oh well, I can dream

I know it\'s alot of pic for just the critter in the corner, but I\'ve already got this shot and I\'m being a little lazy.;)

Is the w.i.p. dragon in the lower left corner along the lines of what you are hoping for? If you think so I\'ll get a closer shot and tell you what I use.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a technique for achieving this effect?

Over the Easter break I want to start painting again and thought this would look good on some Eldar swooping hawks wings.

Any thoughts on how to acheive the effect would be gratefully received.
    blues greens reds and yellows blended with metallics then blended together... thats if you want the colours to always be in the same spot... mind you it wont be exactly like the pic but same effect... or if you want the colours to change do what airhead said

The irridescent paint idea sounds easy but i dont think it would look right.
    You\'re right, it won\'t. The closest I\'ve seen is actually in nail polish!

I figured it was going to be a case of SENMM style painting but hoped someone had ome up with an easy and effective method.
    Yep, I think a variety of NMM is the way to go.

Originally posted by darthfoley
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/117239

It\'s somewhat difficult to see in the picture, but the armor shifts from green to purple (I apologize for not knowing the name of the effect...Darin said it many times over the course of the weekend and it never quite stuck in my mind. I just call it \'that car paint thing\'.) :D
    So it does this in the flesh, it\'s not a painted illusion?

If it does change colour with viewing angle that\'s what\'s know as a flip-colour effect, i.e. interference pigments (now seen as a security device on some banknotes). The one he used I\'ve never seen in paints other than automotive finishes, I wonder what it was.

Einion

Blog Entries

When I was working in GW a year or two ago, a guy came in. Worked in a high end paint shop for cars. I guess he nabbed a small pot of paint from work to do up his stealth suits... one that shifted from a nice rich green to a nice rich reddish brown.

He said it was like a couple hundred bucks per ounce or some nonsense. I was floored, both by the models and by the price tag. Could be the same stuff.

Airbrushed on BTW, mainly for thickness I reckon.

After looking at that Abbaddon, I\'m thinking the best way to do this is to simply come up with a rule of substitution of colors within a NMM progression. Complicated but probably the best theoretical standpoint unless I can find the ideal pearlescent paint.

And Creamcoat sounds familiar... there was a thread about this kind of thing on Portent before it got wiped last year.

For a mere $25us for 2oz (ouch) this can be had.
    pro: actual color shift ready for an airbrush an in a smaller quantity than the $50+ pwdered pigment

Con: it is car paint ..... with all the complications of application, consistancy, cleaning, and chemical toxicity

the page to order them is here.

I would love to get into them, but have not had an airbrush of the quality I figure would be needed in many many years

The only other option I have been able to come up with (other than blended pearls,metallics, or interferences) is Sally Hansen Nail Prisms (name of the entire line of colors), but working with nail polish on minis is a real PITA to get it looking smooth and nice, and, again, clean up is a buggar.

Delta has a \"Delta Renaissance Foil\" that will give you a very conviencing effect like that if used properly.

Maya~

Blog Entries

Ooh, haven\'t heard of that one before... *hits up google*

<edit>

Holy smokes Delta has transparent pearlescent colors, lots of them... very interesting! No green though, sadly. Yellow, blue, regular pearl, pinks, purples, etc. but no green.

Apparently it\'s Ceramcoat not CREAM like I always thought...

</edit>

Thanks for all the responses. That dragon looks quite close, except instead of a purple basecoat I\'d want a white or cream one, but its pretty close.

The renaissance foil I could only find in gold or silver leaf, so I don\'t think it would work (or I\'m just not looking properly).