When in Rome.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When in Rome.

Default When in Rome.

I may be late with this. But are any of you fans of the Rome series? My wife downloads them from the net for me. It’s pretty cool.

i managed to see about have a dozen.

enjoyed them quite a lot.

it got me back into playing total war as well.:)

I quite like the series too though I missed a couple of them. So I\'ll probably be going after the DVD\'s in a while. I understood there is going to be a second series too.

Default Excellent stuff.

I really enjoyed them and stand in awe at the way they managed to avoid spending enormous sums of money on staged battle scenes by just showing Caesar riding out...and then riding back home again. Pointless trying to compete with Hollywood....

I loved them all

I was shocked at how brutal the crusifixion scene was in the first episode

Not something you\'d except from the BBC :o

a little bit off subject, I always think of rome as big! so when I thought of rome and somebody mentioned the total war series, it somehow reminded me of how Chuck Norris had an old cartoon show, it was back when he looked like brawny.

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

:rolleyes: I wouldn\'t mind a \"gift\" like Atia sent over to Servilia....;)

Ahhh..So the BBC makes it. I will be buying the DVDs. Yeah. The crucifixion was really graphic. I guess that uis what happens when all of your British TV experience centered around Asfab, Are you being serviced, Dr.Who, and Red Dwarf.lol

Originally posted by Swordwind

I was shocked at how brutal the crusifixion scene was in the first episode

Not something you\'d except from the BBC :o

Sounds interesting. All we got in Germany so far was \"Empire\"... About Augustus.

Hmmm... reminds me, I should continue with Rome: Total war... I guess the Gauls could do with more of Spain :D

You know what I would have liked to have seen? The BBC at least trying to make the actors put on some kind of latin accents. The only way they know to deal with period/historical/imperial dramas is to roll out the RADA accents and make everyone speak with High-English gravitas. We want accents! Good series by the way. Quite erotic in parts if I recall :D

It was HBO financed and BBC made, so should explain things. Very much enjoyed it, although it was riddled with inaccuracies (some historical (roman) modelling sites completely ripped it apart - Einion knows) but as entertainment it was great.

Originally posted by Ebonbuddha
    I may be late with this. But are any of you fans of the Rome series? My wife downloads them from the net for me. It’s pretty cool.
    I watched parts of it and thought the atmosphere/feel was quite good but it conflicted with other things on satellite TV so I had to miss much of it.

As a longtime history buff and historical modeller I do have to make the point about how inaccurate much of the military equipment/dress was though. It was better than Gladiator in that respect (not that that would be hard!) but things like the stirrups when on horseback bug me. I also think they played fast and loose with the timeframe about contact to and from the boonies to more easily be accepted by a modern audience largely unfamiliar with the period (same with Maximum getting home in a reasonable amount of time).

Originally posted by reverend
    You know what I would have liked to have seen? The BBC at least trying to make the actors put on some kind of latin accents. The only way they know to deal with period/historical/imperial dramas is to roll out the RADA accents and make everyone speak with High-English gravitas. We want accents!
    I\'m of two minds about this - there\'s a conceit for an English-speaking audience to be able to listen and not have to read subtitles right? So if we imagine that they\'re all speaking English just for the sake of this then a range of British accents from plummy to working class or regional I think gives a good added impression of the nature of the speaker\'s character for the viewer; just like their clothes, bearing and level of cleanliness do visually.

Einion

True enough Einion, but it also shows an underlying superiority complex. The British Empire was of course like the Roman Empire to the power of ten (due to the industrial revolution, etc...). This surely still has some significance to certain minds, particularly in the UK. Imperialism is a disease that still infects parts of these isles (BNP seems to be anti-Europe, anti-immigrant, anti-anythingthatdiminishesthereputationofEngland/Britain\'s\"glorious\"past) and the film industry here has long shown that the favoured way of presenting Roman and other historical stuff (world wars apart perhaps because that involved modern Britain) is to slap a plum English accent on the subject as a means of stamping authority on proceedings and forcing people to remember just how bloody great the British machine was. All I see is corruption and blood and slavery when I consider that Empire. Yuck.

By the way, that was a loose-cannon rant. I\'ve written it now and I\'ll leave it on the board, but it wasn\'t one of my most focussed thoughts on any subject at any time lol

Default Ooohh! Miss Pony....

Originally posted by wiccanpony
    You are naughty!:innocent:

You can have one in miniature if you like: http://www.heresyminiatures.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2748
    Provided we can talk Kev into having it cast. I hope he goes through with his \"dress up Kev competition\" idea. :)

I am a fan of the Series. I enjoyed the 1st season. Unfortunatly I will have to wait for future episodes to come out on DVD.

Now I get it...I just watched that episode this weekend. You are a bold lady Wiccapony.

:D;)lol what can I say..........I\'m twisted and loving every minute of it.:innocent:

damn!!! :o Kev had better cast it.. I\'d buy a dozen!!! :D

I wonder where will all of the detail go.:rolleyes:

I want an Atia of Julii or Niobe. Miniature that is...;)

I understand that “Rome” will continue this year, Caesar is dead and now it’s time for bloody pay back.:o