The Grand National
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Grand National

Default The Grand National

Is anyone having a bet? I\'ve just put £20.00 on Direct Access to win - doubtless it\'ll be £20.00 down the swanny but £500 if it does win :D

Who are you backing ^^

Not if you win lol

I\'ve got Sir OJ on the sweepstake in work and also another one called Billericay or something like that. I might be wrong there. If I win I stand to make a whole £20 lol

Bugger!

My wife got 4th though each way so we ended up ahead :D

Woohoo! I had the first and fourth in the works sweepstake. Stuck a fiver on the second, Hedgehunter, also. Still up on the day tho.
    Must admit to loving a punt on the nags. Yes, it is a waste of money, but then so is any hobby/addiction. :)

My view of gambling is somewhat skewed after seeing my (ex) father-in-law gamble away his business and two family homes. The mother-in-law didn\'t find out until the bailiffs turned up....

I\'m not a big fan of gambling either to be honest, but once a year is a bit of a larf :)

Wow, thats rough Spacemunkie. Guess the man had that self-destructive gene....
    Hope your family got through it all \'okay\'...

OK, I have to ask...I\'ve gathered this is gambling on something, but what in the heck are you people talking about?

lol

£80 won from each way bet on Hedgehunter!

I\'m very happy:)

I agree with Darthfoley. WHat the hell are you taking about? Are you gambling on horses? ????????????

Default The Grand National....

Biggest UK horse racing event of the year. Millions of people who never normally bother have a \'flutter\' on the National.

I have an abhorrence of gambling as I feel it is a waste of good money that could otherwise be spent on alcohol...but each to their own:D

I understand no horses/jockeys died this year which is a bonus...It\'s a pretty gruelling event....

Thanks Finn!

I kinda thought that was what y\'all were on about. :D

I had bloody Ballicassidy (sp?) on the sweepstake and he was walking it all the way until he fell unchallenged at the front in the last quarter of the race lol

HUGE BET Dammekkos2, (by my standards anyway). The odds on Hedgehunter were never better than 6-1 on the day..... so you must have put on at least £160 each way. £320 in total to have made a profit of £80.
    Nice one. Makes my £5 on him to win look puny!

Unfortunately one horse was killed in the race. Thyneandthyneagain, it was.

Betting confuses me. Help!

Mine fell at the fifth hurdle :( £5.00 down. i don\'t know jack about racing and my horses performance showed that :( Damn i\'d rather it be running last all the way at least that way i could of carried on shouting at my t.v. to help make it run faster. This is a tactic what gamblers seam to do so if its good enough for them its good enough for me...well not in this case :(

Well Rev\'.... You can bet to win or each way. Each way means that half your stake is bet for the win and half for a place. In the National the places were 1st to 4th. Place odds on the National were a quarter of the odds... so if you bet each way on a horse @ 6-1 and it is placed but doesn\'t win your place part of the bet is payed out @ your stake x 1.5.
    So if Dammekkos2 had £160 each way (£320 total) on Hedgehunter @ 6-1 the WIN part of the bet is lost, because it didnt win.
    The PLACE part of the bet was okay, the horse finishing second, so £160 x 1.5 = £240. The £160 place part of the bet is also returned.... so Dammekkos2 would collect £400 from the bookies.
    £160 x 1.5 = £240 + the £160 place stake = £400. To work out the profit its the £400 collected - £320 that was your total bet anyway, =£80. Remember the bookie kept the £160 part of the win bet because the horse was only placed.
    Long winded but i hope it makes sense ???