Who\'d be a squaddie?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who\'d be a squaddie?

Default Who\'d be a squaddie?

Prince Harry and two of his chums graduating from Sandhurst Military Academy.

God help those poor soldiers.....:(

What\'s wrong with Harry?
    I mean so he\'s done some dumb things, he\'s a kid.
    He\'s not as bad as our American aristocracts, liked Teddy Kennedy.

Or our oil moneygrubbers, like...well.

Default Well..

...cards on table, I object to the monarchy in principle and would happily shoot the lot of them.

The fact that America has allowed an \'aristocracy\' to develop is only to be deplored...:(

I am sure that the bloke may well have some redeeming features, but after a six-week crash course at Sandhurst, I would not want to be a poor grunt in his squad....Looking at his comrades and firmly \'judging a book by its cover\' the same goes for them.

Of course the closest Harry is likely to get to combat is a food fight in the officer\'s mess.:bouncy:

Originally posted by finn17
    The fact that America has allowed an \'aristocracy\' to develop is only to be deplored...:(
    Yeah, we haven\'t had a politician \"of the people, for the people\" in some time.

Of course the closest Harry is likely to get to combat is a food fight in the officer\'s mess.:bouncy:
    lol

He\'s most likely got people to do that for him.

Originally posted by marineboy

He\'s most likely got people to do that for him.
    Yep it would not do for the little princeling to get all messy. :rolleyes:

His Royalness is just a kid doing kid stuff. I also fall on the anti-royalist side of the fence (they in no way represent my little country), but I won\'t criticise Harry for being stupid.

I think he\'s a good kid.
    I read an interview with him, and he said he was going to Iraq and that he wanted to be treated as any other soldier.
    Which may have been bullshit, but it has been a trend of many, many famous kids to want to just be normal.
    Now whether his father and grandmother allow this is another question.

Harry\'s just a young bloke trying to be a bit normal.

It\'d be a sad day if the monarchy was ever abolished in my opinion. It\'s probably not very trendy but I like the sense of cultural identity it offers. We\'re steeped in history, both good and bad and the monarchy have always played a central role. Queen Elizabeth or \'President\' Blair... I know which I\'d choose!

I read an interview with him, and he said he was going to Iraq and that he wanted to be treated as any other soldier.
    Remembering back to the Falklands War, Prince Andrew is supposed to have piloted helicopters that hovered aside fleet ships. Their mission was as decoy targets for the Exocet missiles the Argies were firing at them.
    As Andrew wasn\'t in direct line for the throne maybe Harry will get his \'wish\'?
    The Royals, love \'em or loathe \'em, are a neccessary evil for the UK i think.

Prince Harry and two of his chums graduating from Sandhurst Military Academy.

God help those poor soldiers.....:(
    The most dangerous thing know to a solider :- An officer with a map.

I\'m actually more sorry for the sargeants than the men, they\'ll be the ones getting orders implemented.

To take a quote from SHARPE: \" There\' Killing officers and Murdering officers. Killin Officers\'ll get you killed by accident.\"
    Say\'s it all really.

Originally by Beelzebrush
    Harry\'s just a young bloke trying to be a bit normal.

In what way has his life ever been normal?
    From a feted Princess with feet of clay for a Mother, A Patronising Duplicitous Oik of a Father, a Grandfather who\'s an ignorant tactless bigoted bully and a grandmother who\'s as detached from the troubles of the real world as Star Trek is.
    I\'d have more respect if he want\'s to be considered normal if he\'d ditch the Army and become a frontline Firefighter.
    [/rant]

@ DR

The key word of the quoted sentence was \'trying\'.

So scrap the monarchy and replace it with what?

You don\'t need to replace them with anything! They do f-all anyway!

And how did little Harry celebrate his graduation? By going to a lap dancing club. What a bell end. You\'d think he\'d have learnt his lesson after his Nazi gaffe.

You\'re right, of course.... he should have gone to the local tea rooms and celebrated over a steaming cup of Earl Grey and a slice of Victoria sponge followed by a trip to the nearest chapel to repent - never been to a lap dancing club or made a bit of a tit of yourself? I certainly have... luckily nobody sees fit to splash me all over the front page of the daily rag for minor indescretions :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Beelzebrush
    @ DR

The key word of the quoted sentence was \'trying\'. Sorry Andy I don\'t se this as trying to be \"Normal\" I see this as just following in a Tradition of his family. Had the attempt to be normal been \'genuine\' he should has enlisted as a regular PBI.

So scrap the monarchy and replace it with what?
    That is a very good question.
    I certainly would not replace it with an elected position. I have become far to dissolusioned with what is represented as Democracy and any of our \"Democractic\" governments to follow that path.

To be honest the Monarchy is an institution. It has very little impact on Politics and regretfully interferes as the head of the church.
    Divorce the monachy from these two areas and it becomes just a symbol of \"British\" life as seen by the Tourism industry, not representative of the diversity that the population of these isles has become.
    I just don\'t see the current incumbents as being anything for which I have any regard.
    Lap dancing club, Big deal. I don\'t suppose for one minute that the club was built especially for him.

I can only wish that strippers spoke so well of me when I was that age.
    Stripper\'s story
    But then again, I was a complete bastard at that age.

Originally posted by Beelzebrush

It\'d be a sad day if the monarchy was ever abolished in my opinion. It\'s probably not very trendy but I like the sense of cultural identity it offers. We\'re steeped in history, both good and bad and the monarchy have always played a central role...
    My gripe is the shite the monarchy in its different forms has lumped on Wales over the centuries. I think the \'we\' you use there is certainly an anglocentric view. Can\'t fault that though as you\'re English. If they disappeared off the face of the map tomorrow it wouldn\'t bother me at all because they represent a different country.

But then there are bigger things in the world to worry about lol

Default Exactly...

Originally posted by Spacemunkie
    You don\'t need to replace them with anything! They do f-all anyway!
    I simply don\'t understand why people always say, \"What would you replace it with?\".
    If the doctor told me I needed a tumour removed, I wouldn\'t ask him what he was going to replace it with?;)