I\'m probably breaking etiquette with this post.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I\'m probably breaking etiquette with this post.

Default I\'m probably breaking etiquette with this post.

DRINK DRINK DRINK!!!

I just find it hilarious that people are this naive. \" GW invented miniature wargaming \"?!?!?!!

This was originally posted on the TMP.
    Originally posted by chriskrum on TMP This is not really a rant but something of a surreal experience that I had earlier today. I stopped into the GW store in Glendale CA. I needed some large round bases for some HMGs (28mm WWII Russians). As usual I got cornered by the shop guy—which is fine, it\'s their store. He asked me what I played? If I\'d\'ve listed all the periods and games I\'m into it would have taken half-an-hour, so I just stuck to the basics: Ancients and WW2.
    \"Any Warhammer?\"
    \"Not since 3rd edition.\"
    Then the guy proceeds to tell me how he was interested in WW2 and looked into buying the miniatures but they were just too expensive. This while I\'m standing in a store where a box of 10 plastics costs thirty-five dollars, where six inches of green stuff is ten, and a lone character figure at least twenty-four dollars.
    I\'m thinking, \"Black Tree, BAM, Artizan, where was this guy shopping?\"
    In a flash of insight I asked him \"if he\'d maybe looked at 54mm collector\'s figures?\"
    Nope, they were the same size as the ones GW sells.
    Then the guy started to tell me how GW invented miniature wargaming and brought it to the States… yada, yada, yada, but that\'s an entirely different topic and a real rant.

Just a symptom of being young and clueless I would guess. The young guys at my local store simply do not know and aren\'t interested in the history of GW let alone anyone else. In the words of one guy there \"if it\'s pre 95 it doesn\'t exist\".

haha aw man that was great i love it :)

Blog Entries

Why of course they did, you unwashed Heathen! Invented it and sold it to the masses - I shall now contact my local Inquisetor/Witch Hunter and sic them on you foul non believers in the hope of saving your Imortal Souls - and bringing you to the true light of GW for ever!!

Young and nieve.

Kid\'s asking: \'who\'s the Beatles\'? Holding up an LP at a garage sale saying:\'what a HUGE CD\'!!

Really. Already ten years ago some twentyish said to me, \" I heard this group the other day I wasn\'t familiar with. Mybe you know them. I think they were called the Talking Heads.\"

Those unfamiliar with the past are doomed....lol

Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    Young and nieve.

Kid\'s asking: \'who\'s the Beatles\'? Holding up an LP at a garage sale saying:\'what a HUGE CD\'!!
    see, thinking gw invented it all is one thing. i know i thought they were the only (proper) manufacturer until i got online in the late 90\'s. there was only one shop in town and it was 98% gw and the odd bit of reaper. but they were only the crap sculpts. and then i saw the light. i aven\'t bought a gw mini for about a year now (although i will break that with the new giant)

not knowing who the beatles are. sheer ignorance!! mind you it does depend on the age... i hope you went over and gave a short history lesson shawn! :D

It\'s not that strange since many people don\'t have any exposure to other stuff than GW. We also saw that here on exhibitions. I usually have figures of several brands with me and you often see people being confused about them since they are not in GW catalogue. Sometimes there is even a debate amongst the public on what GW figure it is. :)

It\'s a rare occurrence to find a GW in-store staff member (and what a bunch of members they are, hoho!) that hasn\'t lost the art of commonsense and the application of normality. I know one who made the cut - the chap works in a pub now instead. He still sometimes displays the peculiar nervous energy that accompanies any red-jersied pedlar of overpriced alloys, but his transition has been a pleasure to watch :D

Originally posted by steelcult
    Why of course they did, you unwashed Heathen! Invented it and sold it to the masses - I shall now contact my local Inquisetor/Witch Hunter and sic them on you foul non believers in the hope of saving your Imortal Souls - and bringing you to the true light of GW for ever!!
    Oh come on! You know they invented mini gaming:rolleyes:!

Along with paint, brushes that won\'t hold a point, and all glues.

And speaking of glues. After seeing the \"new\" tube thing they have for the white glue I have a feeling you\'ll be able to go to a gw store and see more than one geek with his hand permanently stuck inside their pants! lol

@rev you should try going in there and \'accidentally\' mentioning another brand name! they go all shifty as if they are afraid they are being watched!! lol

You should have seen the confused looks I got when I explained to one fella I only paint and normally try and get RT-era stuff from Ebay. He didn\'t know what the hell to do or say, so he just mumbled something like \'things have moved on\' and sloped off. I don\'t know if he was being brave or just quoting company policy lines lol

Originally posted by reverend
    I don\'t know if he was being brave or just quoting company policy lines lol
    i doubt he was being brave!

Too trew lad, too trew!

They weren\'t the start of wargaming...
    ...they\'ll be the end lol

Drink!

Blog Entries

Originally posted by striker8
    Originally posted by steelcult
    Oh come on! You know they invented mini gaming:rolleyes:!
    Well, if you count H.G. Wells as English, and the founders of GW as English, then yes, they are technically related to the founders of modern miniature wargaming - in the same way I as an American am related to the Father of the Emancipation Proclimation, A. Lincoln.

Have any of you worked for GW or spent allday with irritating people asking silly questions or just getting in the way?.

Because believe me it is far easier to give an answer to a question or comment that may give yousome peice than enter a long talk about something you done give a damn about.

Most GW staff have a good knowledge of thier job and product, but as has aready been pointed out Gw covers most of the minitures market on the high street so many people will not have come into contact with other companies.

For those who don\'t know what Steelcult means with the HG Wells link, here is an article on the history of wargames: http://www.hmgs.org/history.htm

Total jerk from NewJersey RunnyBunny's Avatar

So what is GWs policy on pricing. by weight? Or is it done by ego? Can you price things according to how great you think your stuff is?

Originally posted by stphn shphrdayahoo.c
    Have any of you worked for GW or spent allday with irritating people asking silly questions or just getting in the way?.
    Are the irritating people you speak of customers? Usually a salestaff would want to speak with them, being as they may buy stuff, which is the reason the store is open.:rolleyes: