Golgotha by Victor Hardy - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Golgotha by Victor Hardy

It was Bruno Grelier, not Bruno Rizzo!!!

Congratulations for your mini, I was in UK and your mini was one of the best.

It\'s well done, but it just doesn\'t work in the same way that YellowOne\'s Eldar Titan does. Some of the faces are a bit off too.

Comparing it to Renaissance and Old Masters stuff is just overblown guff.....

I got to see this in Baltimore (after struggling through the crowd around it) and it is truly amazing! I don\'t think any 2-D images can really do it justice. It\'s incredible.

With all the controversy around it (and along with a particular\'s movie\'s release), I\'ve started thinking of it as \"The Da Vinci Demon\" :D

well this would be one of the best 10 i ever rated but the useless blasphemy of the wings freehands and the excessive banner really bring it down. 8.5-9 for me. you could stop doing freehand when u reached the \"critical point\" when they became excessive ;)

Marmoset

That\'s a bit harsh Tony :rolleyes: I think this mini is absolutely wonderful, the amount of time and dedication required really shows. I\'m not even a great fan of NMM, über-freehand or styles like that, but the overall effect of this mini and the skill required... I can\'t rate it anything under a 10. I really love the gold, the tone you achieved is marvellous. Fantastic mini. Well done :D

Originally posted by Tony Manero
    you could stop doing freehand when u reached the \"critical point\" when they became excessive ;)
    Who decides where that point is? Personally I think it is a fantastic piece remeniscent of several classical depictions of hell (michaelangelo, goya, bosch, fra angelico).
    To think about the size of this is amazing though. Those guys would have freaked to see anything so small yet so detailed.
    I think Marco\'s problem is he\'s seeing the wings as painted wings, not as actually occupied by lost souls.
    That and I don\'t think he can get past the real-world religious symbols. That will be a problem everywhere so obviously not everyone will be happy. Heck, look at what happened over the cartoons of Mohammed. What if it had included an image of Mohammed?
    Anyway I love it and am looking forward to reading about its creation and about the controversy.

*on further thought, it could be illustrated wings after all. But then, look at what people are doing with tattoos now:

Probably the most anticipated pics in the world ever lol

Marmoset

What, golgotha or über tattoo man? lol

The painting is stunning, the name is offensive.

Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    Offensive to whom?

Originally posted by Tony Manero

1: freehands are totally unthemed with GW stuff and so on.

3: i don\'t like christian influence in miniature world.
    Tony why don\'t you like christian influence?
    People put some motiffs of buddha , and other religions.

Rozarius - is on GW minis (chaplains) you know what Rosarius means...
    GW took much from christian culture - flagellants ;) for instance, sister repentia , the whole witchhunters ;)
    Don\'t get picky lad !
    I think that 500-700 hours spent on this mini made it look brilliant - this is a piece of art - not a mini anymore ;)

Originally posted by hashmallum
    Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    Offensive to whom?
    Cristians of course, since the whole thing is based off crist and his \"death\":

Easton\'s Dict. [golgotha] # 1522 Golgotha the common name of the spot where Jesus was crucified. It is interpreted by the evangelists as meaning \"the place of a skull\" #Mt 27:33 Mr 15:22 Joh 19:17 This name represents in Greek letters the Aramaic word Gulgaltha, which is the Hebrew Gulgoleth #Nu 1:2 1Ch 23:3,24 2Ki 9:35 meaning \"a skull.\" It is identical with the word Calvary (q.v.). It was a little knoll rounded like a bare skull. (cond. left)

lets don`t behave like sissies and mama boys. if such stuff offended my religious feelings I probably wouldn`t play Warhammer at all. GW stuff is full of christian influences.

I actually agree with Tony here.

I don\'t think anyone can agrue that technically the conversion and painting is brilliant, on par with anyone in the world. HOWEVER, there is more to creating a work of art than this. Speaking on composition of the piece, it feels FAR too busy, and there is no where for the eye to focus on, with all the freehand, the composition is hard to take in all at once. Subject-wise I can make no sense of it either. What am I looking at and why? Obviously it seems Victor does have some idea of a message to tell, but it is both unclear and on the outside seems very intentionally inflamitory and disrespectful to a large segment of the population.

There is brilliance here, just not unqualified brilliance, and I can see why many would not want to look at this piece, and can very much understand the original DQ, and the silver in Baltimore

Yep
    Dead Emperor (humanity\'s saviour) on golden throne ;)
    Demons , Chaplains, Sisters of Battle , Confessors ;) Rosarius, space marines are like monks - Brothers
    The whole \'machine god\' religion

This are blasphemies of GW :D
    But the population hasn\'t anything against it :D
    Do you people?

sorry not christian influence, i mean useless blasphemia :)

but that would be the same with a cocacola bears freehand, totally unthemed.

next time try to freehand a nascar car on empire steamtank lollollollollollollol

Originally posted by hashmallum
    Yep
    Dead Emperor (humanity\'s saviour) on golden throne ;)
    Demons , Chaplains, Sisters of Battle , Confessors ;) Rosarius, space marines are like monks - Brothers
    The whole \'machine god\' religion

This are blasphemies of GW :D
    But the population hasn\'t anything against it :D
    Do you people?
    Nope :D Better than the RL religion imo :P More interresting! :D

But religion is a reaaaaally touchy subject. Just look at the reasonat problems here in Denmark, with the mohammed drawings....

I\'m not at all offended, but I agree that there is just too much. Lovely technical skill, but better than the best freehand artists in the hobby? Not really. As good as the best, but too much. Still, great piece, I voted 9.

edit - hah, just noticed the devil child! lol I\'m not suprised they didn\'t accept it ;)

edit 2 - and a zombie Jesus too! Nice.

Just noticed reverse Victor on backside of banner. The hidden staff is very fun and extraordinary :)

really hard to keep up with two threads on the same subject; already commented on the other thread that I feel it is too busy, and Eric has totally hit the nail on the head regarding focus. Where do you start looking?

Until I read Victor\'s article, I am still confused about some of the imagery, and if it requires an article to explain it, then it doesn\'t work!

I feel the whole piece might have worked better without the back banner - apart from an excuse to paint some incredible work, it serves no purpose to the piece - it would get in the way when the demon flaps its wings (OK, I know it\'s made up science fantasy, but I still like my science fantasy to work!)

All this aside, it shows some exceptional painting, that is without doubt, but I am glad the whole world hasn\'t waxed lyrical about it! :P