WH armies\' origins - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WH armies\' origins

Originally posted by RedSevenBlue
    Space Marines= Chex Mix of nationalities.
    True.
    Space Wolves are based I believe on Norse antiquity.
    I don\'t really know the GW universe, but I recall when Deathwing came out it was blatant that they were American Plains Indians.

Gav Thorpe compared the Beastman to the tribes that attacked the Romans (as pointed out above) He also compared the orcs to Scots/Celts/Picts - highland wild warriors. This was in White Dwarf a while back.

Years ago, GW used to have miniatures and rules for the NIPPON army. Ninjas, samurai and so forth.

The Genghis/Kubla Khan Mongolian and Chinese dynasties is very present in the modern day Ogres.

Beastmen = Germanic hordes
    Elves/Dark Elves = Similar to the roman empire when it fractured
    Wood Elves = Strong Celtic/pre-christian britain influence, Wodes and Picts maybe
    Bretonians = British/French Medieval
    Empire = Germans/Rennaisance period
    Chaos = Viking invaders for the raiders
    Dwarves = Strong nordic influence, but tempered with Tolkeinian ideals
    Orcs/Gobbo\'s = Scottish tribes (according to Gav Thorpe at any rate)
    Kislev = Russia
    Lizardmen = Inca\'s/Mayans/Aztecs

Not sure about the rest, other than the undead which rather speak for themselves.

Cadians = Americans (modern era)
    Catachans = Americans (vietnam)
    Mordian Iron Guard = Germans
    Steel Legion = WWI/II trench combatants
    Tallarn = Middle eastern
    Space Marines = Similar to knights templar, mixed with various flavours of history
    Orks = Scot hordes with guns :)
    Tau = Mix of South eastern countries. Chinese society and ideals (for the Greater Good), with Japanese tech and \'samurai\' military structure
    Necrontyr = Borgified ancient egyptians via the terminator movies
    Eldar = Again, crumbling roman empire but with an Asian accent
    Tyranids = Giant cockroaches, resistant to Raid

I thought Kislev = Poland based on those big wings they wear on their backs.

Could very well be polish too. I know that they draw from russia though, what with the Tsars (Czars, and all the other crazy spellings of that word) and the style of their clothes. Also geographically it makes some sense.

Originally posted by Quiarcus
    Cadians = Americans (modern era)
    Catachans = Americans (vietnam)
    Mordian Iron Guard = Germans
    Steel Legion = WWI/II trench combatants
    Tallarn = Middle eastern
    Space Marines = Similar to knights templar, mixed with various flavours of history
    Orks = Scot hordes with guns :)
    Tau = Mix of South eastern countries. Chinese society and ideals (for the Greater Good), with Japanese tech and \'samurai\' military structure
    Necrontyr = Borgified ancient egyptians via the terminator movies
    Eldar = Again, crumbling roman empire but with an Asian accent
    Tyranids = Giant cockroaches, resistant to Raid
    I\'m sorry to point this out, but, Necrons I think were before the terminator movies. Terminators came before THE Terminator.

Originally posted by emopainterguy
    (Czars, and all the other crazy spellings of that word)
    It all depens on the country.

The Necrons are highly reminiscent of the cyborgs in The Terminator films, as evidenced by the machine-like qualities, the skeletal appearance and the \"We\'ll Be Back!\" rule, a play on Arnold Schwarzenegger\'s signature line: \"I\'ll be back\". The Necrons Gauss weapons functions much like the alien weapons in Mars Attacks as they both produce green rays which reduces their wictims to their bones in a matter of seconds. The Necrons are also possible opposites of the Warhammer Fantasy Tomb Kings army in that, among other things, the Necrons despise psychic powers while the Tomb Kings embrace it and are very skilled at it (psychic powers being the 40,000 counterpart to magic). Both armies, however, carry strong skeletal and ancient Egyptian appearances. Their background also has many similarities to the Cthulhu Mythos, with tales of ancient, malevolent gods awaking after eons of slumber to plunge the universe into neverending darkness. There is also a lot of debate about whether or not they are based on the popular Doctor Who villians The Cybermen who share an extremely similar background to them, including having given up their human bodies for metal and being encased in tombs for a long period of time before being awakened. The basic appearance of the Necrons, although not their background, can be traced back to the \"Chaos Androids\" released by Games Workshop for their Space Crusade game.
    From Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necron

I think the Necrons were released after the first Terminator movie, couldn\'t find a year though...

Its all a matter of opinion. If you ask me. Flayed Ones are just stupid. How about this, I take a necron head and rip it apart and put it over my space marine\'s head and the I put a box on my space marine and a necron symbol. lol

Blog Entries

As is GW\'s habit, the concept of the necrons is lifted - and I\'m surprised that they havent been sued by the most contensious man in Science Fiction, Harlen Ellison - if necros are lifted from Terminators (James Camerons Film) then by default they are lifted from Harlen\'s story Soldier -

Especially the flayed ones.

Missed a bit...

Anyway I just wanted to applaud Marmoset for
    starting this surprisingly consistent thread:D
    Well, I\'m sure you know what I\'m talking about.;)

I can totaly see Orcs as the scotts (and the funny thing is every time it\'s always the scotts who are green skins! lol).

Apart from all the mad monsters and what have you, I reckon the Halfling/Hobbit, Dwarf and Elf are originally meant as metaphors for our own personalities. Anyone agree?

Well, not so much personalities as national characteristics. If you look into the history of \"race\" you will find that it was as much about character traits as it was about skin color. Maybe moreso. The idea was you could tell someone\'s character by where they were from or what their bloodline was. As such, \"race\" is nearly impossible to define. Tolkein lived in a very racially conscious world. Races would all have specific characteristics that you could also find in real-world nationalities and ethnicities. Hobbits were the citizens of the British Isles.

Hobbits were the citizens of the British Isles.
    Small with lots of hair on their feet?

Marmoset

Hmm... OK. Lots of interesting theories :) I have compiled a definitive list, complete with gaps. To be edited as we go along :D Sorry if I have forgotten anything.

WARHAMMER

Bretonnia: Medieval France and Britain, Arthurian stuff

Dwarfs: Vikings, something Nordic at least

Empire: Holy Roman Empire, but German rather than Italian (Wissenland, Middenheim, Marienburg)

High Elves: Scandinavian, with all their blonde hair :D

Lizardmen: Aztec/ Maya/ Inca

Ogre Kingdoms: Mongols, Genghis Khan and all that

Tomb Kings: Ancient Egypt (well duh:duh: )

Vampire Counts: Obviously Transylvanian :D

Beastmen: Germanic Hordes, Saxons

Chaos undivided: Vikings

Kislev: Russian or Polish

Wood Elves: Druidic bronze age stuff, Wodes/Picts

Greenskins: Arabs, Celtic Highlanders lol (there is one called Oglah Khan)

Albion: Scotland the noo

Cathay: China

Tilea: Italy

Nurgle: ?

Slaanesh: ?

Tzeentch: ?

Khorne: ?

Dark Elves: ?

Cadians: America (modern era), fascist Germany neo Nazis fascists!

Catachans: America (\'nam)

Mordian Iron Guard: Germany fascists, neo Nazis

Steel Legion: WWI/II trench combatants

Tallarn: Middle eastern guerilla warfare

Space Marines: Similar to knights templar, mixed with various flavours of history

Space Wolves: Norse antiquity, Thor etc.

Thousand Sons: Ancient Egyptians

Black Templars: Devout (extremist in fact :rolleyes: ) medieval Europeans

Necrons: Borgified Gamma Matrix Terminator... Ancient Egyptians :D

Eldar: Elves of the future

Tau: Japanese, manga influence

Kroot: Strong Apache, Native American influence

Orks: Meh, just WH greenskins with guns :P

Imperial Guard: Various soviet, fascist/communist influences. FASCISTS!

Comissars: Russian, neo-Soviet

Vostroyans: Russian

Witch Hunters: Cromwellian medieval fanatic stuff. \"Purge the witch, the heretic and the mutant.\" Also fascist nazism :D

Daemon Hunters: ?

Tyranids: ???

Vespid: ?

Dark Eldar: ? Dark Elves of the future, but we don\'t know what Dark Elves are yet :P

OK, that is it so far. I think. I have quoted most from your replies, so it is an amalgam to refer to (I hope lol) so tell me what needs adding/ taking away/ changing and the list will be edited. :)

happy painting

~Bill

WARHAMMER

Bretonnia: Arthurian fluff

Dwarfs: Vikings, something Nordic at least

Empire: Holy Roman Empire, but German instead of Latin

High Elves: England. (You know these guys swear their the HE.)

Lizardmen: Aztec

Ogre Kingdoms: Mongols, Genghis Khan and all that. I think they took the army theme from Mulan. :)

Tomb Kings: Ancient Egypt (well duh ) from the Mummy

Vampire Counts: Obviously Transylvanian

Beastmen: Germanic Hordes, Saxons

Chaos [undivided]: Vikings

Kislev: Russian or Polish

Wood Elves: Druidic bronze age stuff, Wodes/Picts.

Greenskins: These guys are the Arabs. Note they live in Arraby. Look at some of the arabs old army and it\'s dead on.

Albion: Scottish

Cathay: China

Tilea: Italy

Nurgle: Based of an old Scandinavian god.

Slaanesh: ?

Korn: Heuzeptul patron god of the Aztec. God of war god that demanded blood sheed by virtue of war. He was fierece in battle and deman ded the same from his followers.

Tzeentch: Is Quezacotl. This is an Aztec. God of change and Knowlege. One of his avitar forms is a bird.

Dark Elves: United States. They\'ve paralleled the split of the HE/DE to the revolution. Damn brits calling us evil. ;) Also note the new world influcene on the DE note that thier \"land\" also happens to be where the USA is.

Marmoset

Good points xavier, but we are using races as the basis, not gods :DI will edit the list accordingly :cool:

All hail Quetzalcoatl!