What Camera Do you use?? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Camera Do you use??

Quote Originally Posted by dark shaman View Post
    Good point! and point taken! as for left for toast thats not correct! depends on the quality of the lens, and also lighting so your left for toast comment 'well'!!! its as also what you would call a good pick? you've got to say us painters are a funny lot! whats good to some eyes, are sometime OK to others Just a thought! and not to rattle things! Btw the new breed of point and shoots are getting better! but , and if you read my post Slrs DO offer better control !
    You didn't read my post very well did you?

But feel free to carry on digging.....

Whoop! Am waiting for my 35L

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemunkie View Post
    Whoop! Am waiting for my 35L
    I'm waiting for my Nikon D300 to get fixed.
    Looks as if the Lens Optical stability feature has melted a couple of contacts so it won't work with any Non-Nikon lens. Which means that could put in outside the warranty as well.
    Also gonna be serious ouch time on the wallet as the lens needs to be repaired as well, first estimate on the lens £106.

Ah Fudge!!!
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Bugger. What lens is it?

Just mailed my 40D and grip today. Sad to see it go, but the 1Ds kicks its arse

Bugger. What lens is it?
    Sigma 18-200 zoom.
    Worked perfectly up until Gamesday...............Wouldn't care but Wife's last words to me that morning were:-
    "Make sure that camera doesn't get broken!"

Bleedin Broomrider
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

Well got some reasonable news at the weekend. Camera fault is outside warranty, but only £125 to repair. Was expecting around £400.
    , and proud of it.

That's not too bad at all.

Be interested to know what caused the problem.

Hi all,

Today I've bought myself a brand new camera, it's a Samsung WB500.

Facts:
    - 10.2 Megapixels
    - 24 mm Ultra Wide, Optical 10X Zoom Schneider Lens
    - Dual Image Stabilization (Optical IS + New Digital IS)
    - Photo Style Selector
    - High Sensitivity ISO 3200 (up to 3M)

I hope I've bought a good one, but it looks pretty ok to me.

- Cosmic Secret
    'Thus the explorations of space end on a note of uncertainty. [...] The search will continue. Not until the empirical resources are exhausted, need we pass on to the dreamy realms of speculation.'

- E. Hubble, concluding lines of The Realm of the Nebulae (1936).

Well, I'm now using a Canon G9 on the reccomendation of some of the excellent gentlemen and women of this forum, love it Just need to get a bigger memory card, haha.

Squig

That's not too bad at all.

Be interested to know what caused the problem.
    Well Camera's Back; Two melted contacts in the lens mounting/control panel.
    Had the whole panel replaced.
    There's a suggestion that the Optical Stability motor on the lens may have been at fault, but as the lens is still away being investigated by Sigma themselves I can't confirm that.
    Anyhow it's a strange happening.
    , and proud of it.

i use a Canon powershot SX200 IS
    it has 12.1 megapixel, so it's more than perfect

@ Mike: That's a bugger if a lens can take the camera with it. Only got one lens with a stabiliser in it and that's a Sigma as well

In other news, the 40D got sold. Now have a 1Ds and S90. Will purchase another DSLR body some time next year. Not sure what yet - a 1D4 if I can swing it, otherwise a 7D, used 1D3 or maybe a 5D2 if a cheap used one pops up

I use a Canon eos 500D I think, and a sigma macro lense. I also do auto levels, crop and resize in GIMP. For lightning I use two lamps with daylight bulbs. I also really want a lightning box (not sure if that is what they are called, basically a box to put the minis in with transparent paper to difuse the light), you know what I mean .. A question though, do they make your photos better?

Quote Originally Posted by cleen X View Post
    I use a Canon eos 500D I think, and a sigma macro lense. I also do auto levels, crop and resize in GIMP. For lightning I use two lamps with daylight bulbs. I also really want a lightning box (not sure if that is what they are called, basically a box to put the minis in with transparent paper to difuse the light), you know what I mean .. A question though, do they make your photos better?
    Santa was kind to me this year. I had a Canon EOS Rebel T1i in my stocking this year. The reason I'm posting this as a reply to cleen X's post is that the EOS 500D and T1i ARE THE SAME CAMERA!

The numbering scheme for the Canons sold in North America is different from that in other parts of the world. This confused the hell out of me when I was looking for a camera to replace my near decade old Oly point and shoot.

Just first impressions here, but WOW. I took quick snaps on full auto with the stock lens and no special lighting and the photos I got out of the Canon were miles ahead of what my poor old Oly could do. I'm new to the whole SLR thing, and will post a more comprehensive report if anyone's interested once I get a handle on it.

One of the things I'm pretty sure of is that a macro lens is overkill. A camera pro told me that if I've got it on a tripod and have full control over the lighting at most I'd need an extension tube for the stock lens. A good macro lens can double the cost of the camera, so AFAIC it's a toy for those that can sell models for hundreds of dollars instead of the tens of dollars that I can manage.

Some might say that a DSLR is overkill full stop.

An LX3, G11 or S90 is far more versatile than a DSLR/kit lens and much more portable if you want a one-stop solution...

You also need to be careful when buying extension tubes. The cheap ones off Ebay will not AF (not a biggie) or allow you to change aperture - fine if you're using an old manual focus lens with an aperture ring but problematic with modern AF lenses and involves a lot of faffing about attaching and removing your lens every time you want to switch aperture. An 'auto' set that maintains AF and reports aperture is considerably more expensive and makes a used macro lens look more affordable. Check that you can use EF-S lenses on any you buy as many tubes won't take them. Canon's own brand (the mark II) are expensive but work on EF-S lenses and report aperture. Also look out for Pro Optic and Kenko.

The Kenko tubes cost around 150 bucks. A brand new Canon 50mm compact macro is 260 bucks. You can pick up old manual macro lenses and adapters for far less. Something like this will adapt cheaply and is a fantastic lens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-90mm-F-2-...item439c4e44f9
    Last edited by Spacemunkie; 12-31-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Agreed Spacemonkey, and were I buying the camera for myself it would have been a G11. However, Santa (AKA my father) also wanted more pictures of his grand-daughters. And for a pair of hyperactive five year olds an SLR beats nine kinds of hell over the G11.

The ability to take action shots remains solidly in the realm of the SLRS, and frankly, the cost difference between the G11 and the stock Canon Rebel SLRs is pretty narrow.

Aye, agree with that. The difference IRL wouldn't be huge for that sort of stuff though. The monstrous DOF of the smaller sensor would help keep everything sharp and the G11 has a faster lens. Rebel gives you more fps. It'd be close

Anyway, this thread is a load of old toss without pics, so here are some from today with my S90. A rusty old J Type Bedford pickup being used as a sign for a shop:

Last edited by Spacemunkie; 01-02-2010 at 04:59 AM.

@ Mike: That's a bugger if a lens can take the camera with it. Only got one lens with a stabiliser in it and that's a Sigma as well
    Well I got the lens back Yesterday and Sigma have done me proud.
    Replaced the whole of the lens circuitry, cleaned and tested the lens all without charge.
    The report seems to indicate that there is a fault within the original circuits but they have not specified what exactly.

However both camera and lens are working again which is the main thing.
    , and proud of it.

One is currently using:

1Ds Mark III: 17-40, 24 1.4, 50 1.2, 50 2.5 macro, 70-200 2.8, 35 2
    5D Mark II
    Nikon D800e: 70-200 2.8 VR, 80-400 VR
    Olympus OMD EM5: Voigtlander 25 0.95, 14 2.5
    Panasonic GH4: 12-35 2.8
    Panasonic GF2: 14-42
    S90
    iPhone 5s
    Nikon FE: 50 1.4
    Last edited by Spacemunkie; 12-22-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmurie View Post
    Santa was kind to me this year. I had a Canon EOS Rebel T1i in my stocking this year. The reason I'm posting this as a reply to cleen X's post is that the EOS 500D and T1i ARE THE SAME CAMERA!

The numbering scheme for the Canons sold in North America is different from that in other parts of the world. This confused the hell out of me when I was looking for a camera to replace my near decade old Oly point and shoot.
    Yup, I use a Canon Rebel XSi which I found out recently during a trip to asia that it's called a EOS 450D there. Also, the exact same model is called a Kiss Digital in japan. Guess only North Americans love rebels