brush care

Thread: brush care

Default brush care

okay, i have had a look through the archives so don\'t shout at me if this is a repeat of an earlier thread. but, i was wondering what people do to look after their brushes. i\'m always looking for new ideas and i\'m fed up with buying new brushes all the time.

personally, i have two water pots to clean them in - one for metallics, one for \'normal\'. i also have a sponge with washing up liquid in which i dampen and stroke the bruch across. i then rinse and run it across a paper towel.

i\'ve started using brushes with long tips. i try not to buy anything with a tip less than about 1cm. i find these brushes (as long as they\'re good quality) last longer as the paint takes longer to travel to the ferrule (i think thats what the metal bit is called). but i have a real problem with my fine detail brushes. i have a couple of OOOs and the paint dries really quick in them and the tips start to split after weeks or so. i snip off any stray hairs, making sure that the rest aren\'t touched but then the problem keeps repeating itself.

so i repeat - what do you do to look after your brushes?

Default conditioner

There is a product called Brush conditioner. I had thought I had cleaned my brushes pretty well until I got this stuff. It even cleaned out the paint that had gotten trapped in the ferrule.

I revived a few good brushes with this.

Hummmm
    I have just what you\'re looking for. If you go to Bobby wongs site you will find an extensive article about brush selection and care. I think you can also find that same article here in the article section.

Default You\'re lucky

I did get yelled at when I started a similar thread. Well, not really, I got politely directed to the Bobby Wong article - which is a very fine one BTW.

However if you want my 2cents worth:
    Liquidise some chips or shavings of soap in a jar and dip your brush in it before painting and after. Coats the hairs with a thin layer and helps preserve them and keep their shape.

Buy a bar of gritty artists soap from an art supply shop. Rolling the brush gently in a soft part gets rid of any nasty dried in bits around the ferrule. Yeah, I know you\'re not supposed to dip brushes in that far but you\'re also supposed to look twice before you cross busy roads;)

Default my takes...

freakinacage, i understand your frustrations cos i went through the same problems.

my most frustrating complaint is getting paint within the ferrule. Once the paint dries up there, the bristles split quite easily.

Always clean your brushes between painting...i do that even for within a minute gap.

A friend of mine taught me a trick. I tried it and it kinda worked. However, please try on a \"spolit\" brush, please.

Use model thinner to clean the brush gently. Then let the brush rest horizontal in a bath of conditioner (yes, your hair conditioner) for a day or two. It kinda of reinvorigate the brush.

Default I\'ll have to let you know on this one...

Well, following a recommendation on another thread, I went down to my local art emporium and spend a inordinate amount of money on a small jar of: \"The Masters\" brush cleaner and preserver. Apparently it\'s \'original\' and \'specially prepared\'. Sounds impressive eh? Unfortunately as all my brushes are in storage, I will have to leave you all on a knife edge as to its efficacy. I will keep you posted, but it will probably be quicker to go out and try it yourself.

What do we want? Procrastination! When do we want it?...Next week!

Default \"spit\" shine?

I am REALLY guilty of a rather disgusting brush \"cleaning\" practice... After it\'s been rinsed, I pull it between my lips to give it a point, then let it dry. After it\'s dry the point remains pretty fresh through the next session. Those brushes I don\'t spit-polish lose their point very quickly.

It\'s a habit I started way before I got to mini painting, and yes, I am well aware it\'s potentially dangerous for my health. (Fortunately, oils taste like dooky so I at least keep those out of my system.) I know several other people who do the same thing.

So, health and dignity concerns aside, does anyone know if this will kill the life of my brushes? I want to invest in three or four really good W&N this month and I\'d hate to find out that saliva is the human equivalent of hydrochloric acid to sable hair.

MOUSE - How well do you have to rinse those brushes left in conditioner? I can\'t get the stuff out of my own hair without five minutes of hard labor.

- Otter
    \"Never send a ferret to do a weasel\'s work.\"

Default A time-honoured tradition...

Originally posted by Otter
    I am REALLY guilty of a rather disgusting brush \"cleaning\" practice... After it\'s been rinsed, I pull it between my lips to give it a point, then let it dry.

So, health and dignity concerns aside, does anyone know if this will kill the life of my brushes? I want to invest in three or four really good W&N this month and I\'d hate to find out that saliva is the human equivalent of hydrochloric acid to sable hair.
    Naughty Otter!

Actually, both you and your brushes are probably quite safe. IMO saliva wont damage sable. (If saliva did damage hair, wouldn\'t all cats be bald?).

\'Brushlicking\' is a pretty much standard practice. Indeed, there are horrific stories about watch face painters in the early half of the last century. The Luminous paint used for this process used to \'glow in the dark\' \'cos it contained extremely high levels of radioactive material. Young girls/ladies used to be employed in their hundreds to paint the hands and numerals of watches/clocks. Almost all licked their brushes to keep a good point, almost all died hideously.

I do the same as you and, I suspect, so does every one else on CMON. If you want your W&N\'s to last however, it is worth considering something more elaborate. Best tip I heard on these forums was to collect the gunge that accumulates under your soap in the bathroom and use this. Sounds good to me...:flip:

Default conditioner in brushes ...

otter, after the conditioner treatment, i left it in warm water and rinse it.

My GW fine detail brush is still serving this unkind master but it has lost a few of its hair cos i normally cut those stray ones. lol

i have read the bobby wong article but figured that everyone has different ideas. thanks will have to give some of them a try.

otter - don\'t worry, i also lick my brush to get the tip right after i dry it