Is there any way to strip plastic models?

Thread: Is there any way to strip plastic models?

Default Is there any way to strip plastic models?

I have a bunch of tau models that I want to repaint and Im wondering if there is any way to strip the paint off of plastics. If not, then is there any recommended way of repainting them?
    On a side note, what do you guys use to strip metals? I used some actual house paint stripper and it took a nice amount of scrubbing and smelled pretty toxic... :|~

I\'ve never had any luck stripping paint, but there are several threads about it here. Search for stripping in this forum.

Anyway, if the paint is not gloppy-thick, why not just paint over it? Tons easier.

A search should cover it; here\'s an article someone wrote testing many of the popular paint stripping chemicals out there:

Ever Insane\'s Paint Stripping Experiment

I use some no brand nail polish remover. Of course not that i really use any ever on my nails.....of course...i don\'t wear nail varnish.....:D
    It\'s dirt cheap, it does the trick and you don\'t get high on the fumes, personally an up side for me but if you like that sort of thing....:P

Originally posted by GobboTeef
    I use some no brand nail polish remover. Of course not that i really use any ever on my nails.....of course...i don\'t wear nail varnish.....:D
    It\'s dirt cheap, it does the trick and you don\'t get high on the fumes, personally an up side for me but if you like that sort of thing....:P
    Don\'t worry we believe you.:]

i heard breake fluid is ok for plastics. but i can tell you acetone is a definit no no. it will melt the plastic into a gooey like substance.

Breqk fluid works great, as long as you don\'t forget the mini for a month in the liquid :rolleyes: A day is usually fine.

Blog Entries

I tried lots of different products but nothing is as good as brake fluid - works well, just keep it away from the kids / pets, wear gloves... wash your hands etc. I wear a mask too when brushing the miniatures down. :)

I use break fluid a lot because I am really picky about my paint jobs and I will dunk a guy a couple of times on occasion. I works well on plastic, but I find that green stuff goes all wiers and primer won\'t dry over it.

Dawn Power Dissolver. Blows away anything else I\'ve ever used to peel paint off minis.

i use methylated spirits. you can leave the models in there for as long as you like without it damaging them and it only takes about half an hour to loosen the paint enought to get it off. i used it to strip an entire Space Marine Force :D

I use mean green.. you get a gallon at the dollar for like 5 bucks.. & it works great arouns the house!

Pine Sol. I have a coffee can 1/3 filled that I put metal and plastic minis into when I need to strip the paint. An overnight soak and then a vigorous scrubbing with an old toothbrush under running water gets the paint out of everywhere except the finest nooks and crannies.

Mr Muscle oven cleaner. Does plastics or metals. Leave overnight and do it outside.

Works as good as break fluid and is easier to clean up. Just run mini under tap and use a tooth brush for any stubborn bits.

My husband and I use Wesley\'s Bleche-White. It\'s all all purpose tire cleaner. An overnight soak usually does the trick. In our experience, we have left both plastic and metal minis soaking in a bath of this stuff at full strength for several days (even several weeks in at least one case), and seen no damage to the mini. Also, it\'s relatively cheap and easy to get a hold of. You just have to be sure to store it tightly closed and keep it away from kids and/or pets.

I use Simple Green, it works on both plastic and metal mini\'s. I just leave them in for a day or so and then scrub the mini under running water with a tooth brush, paint is gone. I have left plastic mini\'s in Simple gGreen for several months and never had a problem. It also does not screw with any green/brown stuff that you may have on it. The only downside I have noticed is that it does not work as well on black primer.

all this is really help full, but drake farstrider could you tell me what is \'simple green\'.

Simple green is great for many things.
    I would not trust my resin to anything else. I strip some of the big resins 5-10 times in a row with no issue. I think Mean Green that Vincegamer refereed to is about the same stuff.

http://consumer.simplegreen.com/index.php
    We only use acetone on metal that are done with enamel.

Pine-sol for us was slow and changed some of the old metal minis to an odd gray color and tended to soften up GW plastic ogres on me once.

Simple Green is a cleaning product available over here in the states. The link TAB posted should tell you all you need to know.