What a set of Rankers....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a set of Rankers....

Default What a set of Rankers....

Not a massive Gripe but a little bit of an annoyance...
    Just finished rebasing all my minis on new movement trays ..
    And now they throw the five in a rank in.
    damn them...
    Bit of a bugger wonder if all the boxed sets will have fifteen in from ow or is every boxed set gonna have to be tag teamed with a mail order sprue...

also tactically buggering up my new lists..
    Units of 16 Daemonettes Drop 1 and use 3 ranks of 5 or add 4 and have 4x5 (instability is a bugger ) then lose at least 1 unit..grrrrr. But as I\'ve alway said changes like this mean I have a new army withot buying one as I have to relearn new tactics............

rant over....anyone else feeling a bit ripped....

Yeah, i find it extremely annoying..they just destroyed one of my favourite formations (4 models per rank and models a unit)

Also a bit odd...what about Chaos and similarily based minis? They will now have to get custom made movement trays! And will fill a lot more! :flame:

Yep that\'s the annoying part on mine but I guess it\'s back to balsa wood for me.

I\'ve always found old CD trays to work really well.

Originally posted by Hoblit
    I\'ve always found old CD trays to work really well.
    Ptoblem is, my \"old\" cd trays are all pretty much in use lol

Hmm, I\'ve been running 5 files already with my orks so nothing changes with them. And I like to make my own movement trays with magnets so that doesn\'t bother me. I think the rule shouldn\'t apply to calvalry or ogres. They really get the shaft. I guess as an ork player I don\'t have much sympathy for you S3 T3 players lollollol I really think a 4 wide 8+ deep unit of humans is uncharacteristic and i\'m happy not to be facing it anymore...

Originally posted by clover
    Hmm, I\'ve been running 5 files already with my orks so nothing changes with them. And I like to make my own movement trays with magnets so that doesn\'t bother me. I think the rule shouldn\'t apply to calvalry or ogres. They really get the shaft. I guess as an ork player I don\'t have much sympathy for you S3 T3 players lollollol I really think a 4 wide 8+ deep unit of humans is uncharacteristic and i\'m happy not to be facing it anymore...
    ...blah :D

The only thing it will affect is some of my mounted units as Ive been running 5 across on 25mm and 6 for 20mm. Most of my fast cav are only 5 anyway so dont get a rank. Still I can see how alot of people would be peeved but we all should have known they would change the rules so we had to buy more minis.

Originally posted by Ogrebane
    The only thing it will affect is some of my mounted units as Ive been running 5 across on 25mm and 6 for 20mm. Most of my fast cav are only 5 anyway so dont get a rank. Still I can see how alot of people would be peeved but we all should have known they would change the rules so we had to buy more minis.
    Yeah, I was looking through my old WD\'s the 190\'s (issue #) and there was a 3000 point skaven army with only 3 ranked up units! some war machines and some nasty special characters. Now days you\'de see at least 10-15 ranked units in a skaven army that big. I was amazed I hadn\'t realized how far they had come in the last 10 years getting us to buy more crap.....

Blog Entries

Hmm -

Try the Lizardmen - Temple Gaurd are deployed in units of 10 or more and come in a box set of . . . . wait for it . . . 5.

Bastards.:cussing::D:cussing:

The worst is:

Ogres and other similarily sized stuff!

Consider the ogre kingdoms army:

Now 10 Ogres (!) is needed for a rank bonus of +1
    15 for +2 which before was 12 models!

I think its a realy bad rule! :flame:

Although, to be honest. If you are relying on ranks for your ogres, you need to change tactics.

That\'s what gnoblars are for.

Yeah thats totally stupid, i play lizardmen, and the biggest movement base only fits 4 in a row, and i have 16 of them, and soon a hell of a lot of Temple Guards, thats buggered and rather annoying, do you think they will bring out movement trays fpr bigger units like Saurus and Chaos?

They said at GD yesterday bigger trays are in production and come as mor of a cut and add the borders kit making it easier to adapt to different formations..

Ogres do get screwed a bit but they should be able to get by without the rank bonus and there are a few items that can be given to give +1..

Also yeasterday they said that all the newer plastics to be released will be divisible by 5 so 10 15 20 etc..,

so we will see...

In terms of the templeguard and things like the bretonnian reliquae how do these work as the slann and reliquae are supposed to go in the middle?? how doe that work with 5 or do you have to go 6??

Blog Entries

The way the rules work right now you\'ve got to have 10 TG to play them on the board, so you have to buy at least two sets -

Originally posted by Hoblit
    Although, to be honest. If you are relying on ranks for your ogres, you need to change tactics.

That\'s what gnoblars are for.
    They get bonus to their bullcharge strenght when they have ranks!

Thats all im gonna say!

I don\'t really see what the big deal is. If the changes that were made didn\'t improve Warhammer then fair enough, you could cry about a money grabbing scam.

The thing is they all pretty much improve Warhammer. They make it a more balanced game as far as competetive play goes. More importantly for me they make it more feasible to play Warhammer as it should be - large ranked up units manouvering about with a scattering of skirmishers supporting them - and still have a chance of victory.

And I\'m sorry Product but Hoblit is absolutely right, even taking a unit of Ogres larger than 6 models is really rather ridiculous unless you are playing a 3,000 point or more battle. Just because your bull charge increases when you have ranks doesn\'t mean you have to, or indeed should make the most of that rule.

It sounds a bit cheesy if you ask me, relying on so many orges.

And as far as I know, the rules for bull charge don\'t even mention ranks. They state that the unit must have a minimum unit strength (I think it\'s 5) and that for each ogre directly behind the strength of the bull charge increases by 1,

This led to the ogre conga line. Four ogres directly behind each other charging into a unit -strength 7 bull charge anyone.

Ogre Conga Line... lol

Cool idea, I\'m not enterly sure wheter the wording of the rule was meant to work that way. Wouldn\'t surprise me if the studio guys had just forgotten the possibility of a misunderstanding... :rolleyes: