Photoshop Montages....

Thread: Photoshop Montages....

Default Photoshop Montages....

Right.

This follows on from what we learnt in our last session...... HERE!

You will be using the same technique to select the different views that you want to use in your montage!

Step 1:

The little orange and blue dude is the result of the previous tute. He is the basis for our montage. The other two are going to be added.....

Step 2:

We are working on \'Geeza\'. Go to Image > Canvas Size. Alter the canvas to the desired size and click where you want your original centered. Hit Enter, and it\'ll end up doing this:

Step 3:
    Time to stick the Biopsist onto \'Geeza\'. Select the mini in the same way as you did in the previous tute, using the Magic Wand, Paths or a Marquee Tool (whatever floats your boats...). Remember the old Contract and Feather commands.....

Step 4:
    Copy, select \'Geeza\', then paste. The mini will appear as Layer 2, 3, 4 etc depending on how many images you are putting into one image. The layer will not necessarily appear at the top of the pile of layers - it pastes itself immediately above the layer you had selected when you pasted. Drag and drop the layers on the pallette to shuffle them around. Use the highlighted Move tool with Show Transform Controls (or Bounding Box...) ticked to resize the image on it\'s layer.

It\'ll look like this:

Step 5:
    All you have to do now is click on your Background layer and slap a gradient on it:

Repeat as many times as your computer or CMON image limit can stand!

Have fun!
    :)

Oh, thanks Spacemunkie , just what we needed. I for one will certainly be trying this out, cheeers:D

very, very good tutorial, that backround....you\'re just showing off :P

cheers, i\'m sure this will be of great use.

Excellent!! Just what the doctor ordered. (if I were a doctor, but sadly, I don\'t even play one on TV)

unless you count that time I played doctor when I was 9 with little heidi from down the street...but maybe you were all better off not knowing that information....

My missus is a nurse :D

Strangely, she\'s also a doctor!!!

Default Very Informative

I now understand the use of layering. Thank you for the tutorial; what was the first tute called and where can I find it?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. :D

Nice one! How does one get the cool shadows under the minis like you did?

Stick a layer in between the background and your mini layers.

Paint the shadows in with a brush (soft edged one using 30-50% opacity works well - build it up slowly...), then whack a Gaussian Blur filter over the shadow layer to blend it more.

You can tweak the opacity on the Layers palette or change the blending mode if you want background texture to come through the shadow.....

Thanks a lot, I bookmarked both of your tutorials. Great stuff! :D

Hi Thanks
    I really appreciate that. One question I have is that the maximum upload for Coolmini is 1024kb. Surely all of this would push that way over? any advice and I will rock on with it!
    Thanks,
    Nick

When you do the final save in photoshop you can reduce the file size by reducing the quality of the final photo, this is fine for online work but not good if you were going to print your work.

Also CMoN has increased its file size think yourself lucky it used to be 600Kb file size.
    "Just goes to show - arseholes leave a bigger impression on our lives then nice people" - by Markus Tay

Wales is not part of England Welshmen Born and Bred

Brushlicker and proud of it. Its the only way to paint

Quote Originally Posted by singularity View Post
    Hi Thanks
    I really appreciate that. One question I have is that the maximum upload for Coolmini is 1024kb. Surely all of this would push that way over? any advice and I will rock on with it!
    Thanks,
    Nick
    This actually makes the picture smaller than if you just use a cut out photo. With a digital background there's not even remotely as much colour info as there is in a full pic

Something I have noticed when saving the image is that Photoshop saves it as a larger file than other programs. In my case if I open the picture I have just saved in Photoshop with Zoombrowser ( Canon software) and do a "save as" with no alterations at all, when it has saved the image the size of the file has been reduced, but with no obvious loss of qualtiy. I don't know whether this is because PShop saves additional information on the file that Zoombrowser ignores, or whether there is a difference in quality, but you don't see it when viewing on a screen.
    Might be worth trying it in Paint or other simple viewing programs to see if it has the same effect.
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

Most of the time it is very dificult to spot quality loss on a photo viewed on your monitor but if you try to print that photo in different file sizes that is where you will really see the difference, for printing to paper the larger the file size the better and also if you are going to print then Jpg isn't the best format.
    "Just goes to show - arseholes leave a bigger impression on our lives then nice people" - by Markus Tay

Wales is not part of England Welshmen Born and Bred

Brushlicker and proud of it. Its the only way to paint