Bases and slate

Thread: Bases and slate

Temporary Sanity

I got some slate bases from Scott at GroundForge (Click here) and they\'re real nice. But I\'m lazy when it comes to bases, and he took all the thinking out of it for me :)

Default Bases and slate

Ok, generally my bases are pretty plain and unadorned as i came to things with a gamer attitude. Recently i\'ve been wanting some sexier bases but realised i have no idea where to buy slate [i think it is that people use for rock bases] or any other range of basing materials other than the standard flock or sand.

Anyone able to point me in the direction of somewhere that can assist?

Many thanks

Behold!

http://www.brushthralls.com/Slate/index.php

:)

Kep

One thing you want to get is some sort of layered look. I found a way with two oven-baked clays with different properties:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/367

There\'s probably a way to do it with milliput -- one idea is to paint a layer of white glue before layering, folding, and rolling so it breaks apart with thin sheets. You\'d have to experiment to find a good solution.

Default Slate Rules!

For a pittance you can get the stuff in huge bags from garden centres ;) I just nicked some spare stuff from my shed, and use a hammer if I need very small bits. Works a treat! :D Cork is also good, apparently. Any soft stone can be effective, if used in the right way, but soft stones (like slate) only, so you can drill through them for pinning purposes :cool:

Cheers

~Bill

Just check the streets for people getting thier rooves (roofs?) slated, get tons of the stuff for free!!

my problem with real slate is that it\'s wrong in scale. You don\'t have the right scale detail. Also, you can\'t be as precise with a hammer as you can with a pair of pliers. Finally, it\'s a lot more work to pin a figure to the base if the majority of it is made of stone!

Originally posted by Temperance
    my problem with real slate is that it\'s wrong in scale. You don\'t have the right scale detail. Also, you can\'t be as precise with a hammer as you can with a pair of pliers. Finally, it\'s a lot more work to pin a figure to the base if the majority of it is made of stone!
    The (real) slate I use don\'t give me any scale problems. In fact, it has even better texture detail than what I can achieve with layered putty. And since you can get a huge amount for almost no money at all from flower shops there\'s bound to be a piece that works for the task at hand.

Originally posted by Ritual
    The (real) slate I use don\'t give me any scale problems. In fact, it has even better texture detail than what I can achieve with layered putty. And since you can get a huge amount for almost no money at all from flower shops there\'s bound to be a piece that works for the task at hand.
    I agree that the basic rolled milliput method is lacking in detail, but if you use a method that you can peel apart layers (either with a knife or fingernails) you can get some extraordinary texture and details that are far better than natural slate.

While not nearly painted as well as your work, check out the base on these figures:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/119985
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/111464

I have a layered detail on the slate thinner than a millimeter -- I don\'t think you\'ll find that on natural slate. Also, I was able to sand it so it sticks out at an angle (at least on the troll\'s base) as opposed to just lying flat on the base.

One thing that helps with a better detail on the flat edge of the artificial slate piece is to fold a larger piece than you need and then peel off one or two layers -- you don\'t have the absolutely smooth layer that you get from the clay but now a slightly rougher surface that will be the quality that you need.

donga666

I get all my slate from looking at the floor, especially at this time of year (alot of wind).

There is tons of the stuff just lying around on the floor.

Or spend a couple of quid at the garden centre (or fill a pocket using 5 fingered discount).

@temperance
    You\'ve got some fine texture on your slate there, but I think the rock I use has basically the same level of texture. Maybe it\'s not pure slate? I\'m no expert on rocks, but I\'m thinking maybe the rocks I use could have some amount of granite or another harder rock in it (most of Sweden lies on a bed of granite...). I do like the idea of being able to peel off layers with a knife, though... Once I\'ve decided upon a particular couple of pieces of rock to use, there\'s no way I can \"trim\" them to look exactly like I want. I simply have to chose the best rocks for the purpose and go with that.