Dr.Who revisted

Thread: Dr.Who revisted

Default Dr.Who revisted

Season 2 of the new Dr.Who series has just started here in the states, and I was wondering if we are a season behind the UK? I tried to find threads relating to this and there are several, but I was looking more specifically for comments on the \'New\' Doctor.

The old \'new\' one I though was excellent, even though the series itself is a bit cheesy. I like the cheese though, because it\'s a throwback to the silliness of the original.

This \'new\' new Doctor (how many have there been?) reminds me of those guys from the Wiggles. :|~
    He\'s all like \'lookit that!\' and \'ain\'t that soo cool\'! You would think after a few milenia he would become jaded.

Anyhow, what\'s with the second episode bringing back his original girlfriend? Was that the same actress that played the part in the original series? I hated the dog from the original, but it was a nice piece of nostalga bringing him back, as long as they don\'t use him again. He\'s a little too cheesy, even for a show that thrives on cheese. I did like the one guys comment - \"I\'m the bloody dog?\". lol

I understand this is a desperate move to pull in some of the fans from the original, but I hope this doesn\'t become a recurring theme. The show needs to cover new ground, and the whole touchy-feely ending was a bit \'girly\' if you ask me.

P.S. - if this has been covered in another threads my apologies in advance.

Oh it get\'s a whole lot more touchy feely trust me.......

Yup your a season behind (for a change)
    I quite like this doc he brings some of the childlike quality back and has a real excitement about everything....

No more K9 but plenty of Daleks and Cyermen..

Also the episode with the wolfman gives you the starting point for Torchwood..Speaking of which Torchwood the series starts over here soon.

My prsonal opinion..I enjoyed this series although at times it tries to be a bit too emotional.

Originally posted by MarkusTay

Anyhow, what\'s with the second episode bringing back his original girlfriend? Was that the same actress that played the part in the original series? I hated the dog from the original, but it was a nice piece of nostalga bringing him back, as long as they don\'t use him again.
    Yes it was the same actress, as for seeing him again..............You may not like to hear this.

She and K-9 have got their own series coming out.

I\'m sorry, but did I miss the time warp dropping me back to 1978?

A female companion and K-9 getting their own series? Didn\'t that already fail?

and \"original\" doctor? Hartnel, right?

This is what the K-9 is supposed to look like in the new spinoff

Well Elizabeth Sladen was the best and longest serving assistant. So I have no problem about them bringing her back. (loved the line about being Dropped off in Aberdeen)

As to Torchwood, Yes it\'s a spin off, but starts on BBC Three (digital channel) so not available to non satellite/cable/freeview viewers.
    It\'s credited as havig \"Strong Language\" which in the UK means the F word.
    It starts at 9pm on 22nd October, so that\'s after the Kiddies watershed.
    Again this is 13 episodes and does have Captain Jack in it.

Torchwood

Going to keep my fingers crossed as BBC Three has produced some good stuff. (\"I\'m With Stupid\" for one thing.)

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    Well Elizabeth Sladen was the best and longest serving assistant. So I have no problem about them bringing her back. (loved the line about being Dropped off in Aberdeen)

As to Torchwood, Yes it\'s a spin off, but starts on BBC Three (digital channel) so not available to non satellite/cable/freeview viewers.
    It\'s credited as havig \"Strong Language\" which in the UK means the F word.
    It starts at 9pm on 22nd October, so that\'s after the Kiddies watershed.
    Again this is 13 episodes and does have Captain Jack in it.

Torchwood

Going to keep my fingers crossed as BBC Three has produced some good stuff. (\"I\'m With Stupid\" for one thing.)
    HMMMM.

\"If you are outside the UK you will not be able to watch any of the video on bbc.co.uk/torchwood for rights reasons.\"
    :(

What\'s it about? I loved Dr. Who. Tom Baker is the only real Doctor, BTW. :D

I\'ve only seen Pertwee, Tom Baker and the guy who came after Tom Baker, (he was on All Creatures Great and Small as the affable goof ball). This was the 1980\'s.

I\'ve always wondered about the Daleks. They are chock-full of genocidal malevolence and evil, but to escape from them, all you need to do is run up a flight of stairs. As far as sidekicks go, I\'ve always liked Leela. Well, ever since I saw her run around in Edwardian lingerie in the Talons of Wen-Chiang.

Torchwood seems to be similar to the X-Files (and I\'m sure I\'m greatly simplifying things...) I\'ve had to live vicariously through YouTube with the previews and web content. I\'m very curious to see how it turns out. I loved Capn Jack from the 1st new series and am looking forward to seeing him again.

Of course, the next who spin-off will be called \"Hot Rod Cow\".

@ Hieronymus - You didn\'t see the last season, guns and levitation work real well.

I\'m not fond of the new Doctor, he reminds me of Rimmer from Red Dwarf.

I drifted in-and-out of the Dr Who craze in the eighties. Fond memories of Tom Baker and Peter Davison (the \"English\" Doctor, all cricket, tea and a stick of celery in his blazer pocket???). Colin Baker drove me away like Timonthy Dalton as James Bond - tried to be too serious. Then there was Sylvester McCoy (let\'s not go there)...

Ecclestone was excellent - back to the real Dr Who feel of fun-filled, care-free adventure. The new guy - and new style - work really well for me. It\'s an enjoyable romp through time and space with some nice emotional touches that keep the suspense going and I\'m really looking forward to the next series.

Blog Entries

Little threadromancy here -

Just got season 1 of the new series and am liking what I see - will have to wait till I get home for season 2 and Torchwood.

In this case it\'s probably more \"regeneration\" than \"threadomancy\" :D

Series one was great and series two is great with added campness. As for Torchwood - I\'ll give it another episode or two before I judge...

Blog Entries

Too true - now I\'m hooked all over again, and cant get the next season.

Just found the Torchwood episodes on Youtube if you\'re interested. Had missed the second half of episode two so just catching up now - maybe Dr Who Season two will be there too.

Blog Entries

Ahh, well, unfortunately YouTube is blocked by the filters here.

Oh well. Wait I will.