Tools

Thread: Tools

Default Tools

I was gonna stick this at the end of the \'help with ordering greenstuff\' thread but i thought \'nah\', i\'ll start a new one.:D

So the question is where do you guys buy your tools? i am looking to buy to things in particular - the no 5 sculpting tool and and airbrush and compressor.

So guys and gals, tell me where you shop...

I buy the tools I need in a modelling store here in Antwerp. Haven\'t bought any tools online yet, so I\'m afraid I\'m unable to help you...

Default Well, for starters...

eBay is always worth a bet...
    then there\'s...

http://www.sylmasta.com/

or...

http://www.proopsbrothers.com/acatalog/index.html

You already know about...

http://www.heresyminiatures.com/

If you know exactly what you want try the manufacturer. I recently purchased a Paasche airbrush and the best all round deal appeared to be from Paasche themselves.

Buying tools in the UK? hmmm...tricky.:rolleyes:

Try the internet of course, but also try an American company called MicroMark, who will quite happily send stuff to the UK.

For the airbrush, you can buy them in either model shops, which tend to sell the Revell or Aztek lines, or in art supply stores, which usually have a greater range and access to spares.

Both the Revell line and the Aztek line feature good brushes, but they are not ideal for high viscosity liquids, like miniature acrylics and cellulose varnishes. I own an Aztek and although it likes enamels and oils, the sealed nozzle means dried acrylic can\'t be cleaned out properly.

The other brush I have is a Pashe H (very similar to a Badger 350) which I bought from my local art store, along with my compressor. It\'s a simple brush and is great for varnishing and very easy to clean.

If you get a compressor, make sure you get one with a moisture trap (to save your finishes) and a pressure gauge for greater control.

One last tip. Whichever brush you buy, buy a vapour mask and save your lungs!

As for the no 5 sculpting tool....no idea, sorry.:D

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Default airbrush supplies

Try bear air for your airbrush / compressor / supplies.

www.bearair.com

They might be able to recommend a UK equivalent.

Micromark is good, but pricey.

Compressor could be small commercial, like at home depot/diy/etc. unless noise is a problem. That limits options to small hobby sized diaphragms or expensive silent compressors (they use rotary compressors like refridgerators & air conditioners)

gwawl

For Airbrush supplies you may want to look at www.dixieart.com
    A souce for Tiranti Wax carvers may be found through www.sculpters.org but less expensive sculpting tools can be found at www.widgetsupply.com for starters.

Originally posted by freakinacage
    I was gonna stick this at the end of the \'help with ordering greenstuff\' thread but i thought \'nah\', i\'ll start a new one.:D

So the question is where do you guys buy your tools? i am looking to buy to things in particular - the no 5 sculpting tool and and airbrush and compressor.

So guys and gals, tell me where you shop...

sry a littlebit OT but how manage you guys to keep the skulpted surfaces smooth at my sulpt I ever smooth before but after adding the details it looks grainy again.

i buy my tools everywhere...paint shops and others
    (sorry but my english is not so good to tell you the categories of the shops:( )