War: pros and cons
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: War: pros and cons

Default War: pros and cons

Okay, the 11/11 thread was getting off topic and was detracting from the respect due to those who for whatever reason put their lives on the line because their government wanted them to.
    Politicing was not appropriate there.

However, it\'s fully appropriate here, so bring it on!
    Pro-war v. Anti-war ravings.....BEGIN

War is delightful to those who have not experienced it.

Which is true. Civvies love war if they\'re on the winning side. The general consesus in my house during the 2nd Gulf War was \"hurrah! lets get the barstuds!\". CNN and SkyNews were on 24/7. During the Falklands my mum bought a big map of the islands and a bunch of British and Argentine flags and would mark on the map troop movements and battles and such.

But when your actually there...

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

War bad.......... now let’s have a drink:D

Originally posted by wiccanpony
    War bad.......... now let’s have a drink:D
    Cheers to that :beer:

War bad - wargames good :drunk:

Oh yeah, Star Wars good and bad (in that order)

It would be great if there were never a need for war, or violence, but this is not the world we live in.

War has been romanticized in many of our cultures, and is a source of much inspiration, debate, art, etc. etc...of course it is also the cause of many ills, death, disease, famine, hatred....

i have experienced war as a child, there is absolutely no pro

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

@Bestienmeister - I\'m sure the Jews of Germany would disagree, as would the former slaves in the US.

This war has made and will continue to make things worse.

One of the most morose decisions the UK government has made in years.

Originally posted by Spacemunkie
    This war has made and will continue to make things worse.

One of the most morose decisions the UK government has made in years.
    Define \"worse\".
    And for who?

Was it worse when we pulled out of Vietnam, and the Kmer rouge slaughtered hundreds of thousands?
    Or was it better, because it wasn\'t us doing the killing?

Give it a rest.

We didn\'t invade Iraq to save the \'poor\' Iraqis. That\'s a bullshit arguement that has been tacked on since we went in.

We have succeeded in creating a state on the verge of civil war with little or no law and order. It\'s the perfect proofing ground for anti-western teaching and the training of terrorists (just as Afghanistan was...). Both of our countries have already been on the receiving end of this.

If your (or my) country was that interested in the plight of civilians, there are countless conflicts and nations that we could be getting involved with. Fact is that we turn a blind eye to most of them. We only get involved where foreign policy suits us.

You don\'t spread democracy and good will at the point of a gun.

Oh, the Khmer Rouge were Cambodian as were the millions they slaughtered. Your lot did little to buggerall to help them.

Once again, When you\'re paying for the meal you pick the restaurant.
    Of course, Iraq serves our interests.
    Name me two things a day you do that doesn\'t serve your interests in any way shape or form.

Civil war? Hasn\'t every Democracy in history had one? Most of them are still standing pretty well.

You don\'t spread Democracy and Goodwill at the point of a gun?
    Excuse, me but I think history will prove, it\'s pretty much been the only way to spread Democracy.

Or am I mistaken, and the whole American Revolution was just us and England sitting over tea?

Yeah, loads of invading armies have bought democracy... oh no, wait, thats just not the case is it :rolleyes:

\"Mummy, Daddy! Can I have a North Korean Happy Meal?\"

You miss every single point with aplomb.

My main reason for thinking this war is a waste of time is that it is creating a whole generation of angry muslims who are going to take it out on us.

We do not want to start a war on Islam. We\'ll lose.

Originally posted by Evil Dave
    Or am I mistaken, and the whole American Revolution was just us and England sitting over tea?
    The point is, democracy was not imposed upon America by a foreign invading power.

Forcing people to have the ability to choose for themselves? ???

You already did.
    It was called the Crusades.

You already did.
    It was called the Crusades.
    And that was Spacemunkie? Wow! he\'s aged well!

No, probably not. but if we\'re going to be pointing fingers at who did what...

No, probably not. but if we\'re going to be pointing fingers at nationalities...
    Can\'t see hin pointing fingers, he even references our (the UKs) involvement. He just doesn\'t agree with it

Orb I edited it, I was typing faster than I was thinking.

Personally, I think we should have finished the job in \'91.
    It would have been done and over with by now.

edit: and Spacemunkie has the right to disagree.
    Whether, you believe, the war was right or not, we\'re in it now.
    To pull out will cause far more damage to the Iraqi people than us staying in and getting them to the point where they can secure themselves.
    Cutting and running, shows a horrendus lack of responsibility, as well as showing the terrorists that their tactics work.
    Do you honestly believe we can just walk away and peace will be declared?