Looking for some feedback- wolfen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some feedback- wolfen

Default Looking for some feedback- wolfen

Hey all,

Just thought I\'d post a link to my gallery for all you Confrontation fans. I\'m after some feedback on the wolfen models I have up there, if you\'d be so kind. As you will see, my style of doing their fur is rather different to the standard Rackham cards.

So if any of you have something to say please post some comments on them or general discussions about technique questions/answers that sort of thing I can respond to on this thread..

The link is:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/browse.php?submitter=kittykat23uk

Don\'t forget to vote! :D I\'d be especially interested in comparisons between the figures - their CMON scores are quite variable and to me I feel like they are all painted to about the same standard..

Many thanks.

Kat

You\'re painitng is very good but some points are not you, it\'s veiwers at CMON. I LIKE the more natural, real style, but people here like high contrast and definition.

That aside, on some of the snow bases they look glossy. There\'s a product for upholestry in model cars. If you get the white kind, you can glue it on something and it looks more powdery.

Rackham\'s wolfen always seemed a bit smooth to me and you did a great job on making them look furry! :D

Default Hi there !

I was always saying - your puppies are great !
    Looking forward to see more of your works (other races maybe?)
    :innocent: :] :innocent:

To Chrispy- Thanks dude, I expected as much, I try and keep their clothing and other items really smooth and contrast that with the fur effect. About the snow- I like it to glisten as it does IRL when its beginning to melt. I experimented with a more powdery look, but it didn\'t seem quite right to me.

To Xeen- Thanks, at the moment I\'m working on a forgeworld temple guard for this years Gamse Day. After that I may be back doing wolfen, though I also have an Orc Brontops rider to do at some point. :D

Regards

Kat

I was wondering, do you use them to play, or are they all display pieces? I love your bases, but some seem impossible to use on a battlefield...

Originally posted by kittykat23uk
    After that I may be back doing wolfen, though I also have an Orc Brontops rider to do at some point. :D

Regards

Kat
    ooh please I would love to see that one :)

Originally posted by el pimpo
    I was wondering, do you use them to play, or are they all display pieces? I love your bases, but some seem impossible to use on a battlefield...
    At the moment they are just for display- no one else I know has got any confrontation minis. However, all the models are mounted on their own bases and are removable from the dioramas for play- in case Confrontation picks up in this area. :D I would love to try them in a game- though considering the models I have got I doubt they\'d form a well balanced army!

Regards

Kat

the others suck except \"the one\" because i simply cant make out any detail on them as well as that one. they got the jaggies and loss of compression, its really hard too see any of the line detail in them that i do in that one. also, i know you may have only started painting this way recently, but i think models like your archaon bsaically his horse could benefit very well from your new style for \"furry\". so sure, the rest of the wolfies may be painted to the same standard, unforteanatly i just cant see it, either they have more cloth and are covering wierd areas or what i personally think, the camera is not doing them the same justice either from lighting, a closer view, or just capture quality.

Default Cute doggy dog

Hi Kat - love yer wolfen :D I\'ve bought quite a few myself and I\'m now trying to decide which one to get going with. I\'ve started the Rune Guardian and also Ashan \'Tyr. So many doggies, so little time.

The \'fur\' technique looks very realistic - what about putting together a \'how to\' on how to fluff-up yer puppies?? (no comments please :) )

Originally posted by tooshy
    what about putting together a \'how to\' on how to fluff-up yer puppies?? (no comments please :) )
    I know this (because I asked :) )

Not bad at all :)

When you posted the pics, where they wider than 600 pixles? If they were CMON have resized and that can cause a lot of grainyness.

Also, if possible, could you please post the front, back, base pics in one image. Just seeing the back is IMHO worse than the \"Another mini\" posts.

Ok, on to the painting. Looks like you have a small problem with gloss. I personally use W&N brush on matt varnish on top of a gloss varnish for my gaming wolfen. As you can see it takes all the gloss away:

I like the fur effect. Quite interesting :) The way you shade/highlight hair is also excellent.

I think your NMM could use some more contrast. I suggest using some pure white highlights to give the effect of shine.

Some parts could also do with a few more highlights/shades to give some depth (Zeiren\'s staff, the croissant wolfen\'s crossaint and strip of Ylia or whatever they call them, the grave guardian\'s nails, and red in general) I also think a gem effect would be really nice on the solitaires bracelets.

The grave guardian looks quite grainy. Some of it might be the pic, but the weapons look rough and the cloth appears to be only shade and highlight and no blending. I would say the others are much better than him.

I really like the water spell effect on the solitaire. The melting snow effect is quite amazing too!

Hope this helps :)

Sorry to be so late... I\'ve been (heck, I am!) sitting a battery of exams to try and become a permanent, full-time, government-paid teacher. And i\'m still two-thirds of the way through it. Anyway...

Kat, I think I never told you, but I absolutely LOVE the way you do your Wolfen. I second the motion for an article on furry puppies!

I\'ll try to leave comments on all of them individually as I have time, but I already noticed that my favourite, hands down, is Syriak: IMHO, one of your best paintjobs (best colour combo, best fur colour and texture) combines with your best photo quality so far to make him outstanding.

As Jenova says, that glossy-ish finish is a problem... but you also say so on one of your submissions, IIRC. Perhaps it\'s also because of the photo set-up: you always seem to have the flash reflections in there... Unluckily I still have to experiment with that myself... maybe a non-reflective background could help.

In any case, I do like them all a lot!

Oh, and your scenic bases and dioramas are simply superb. I just didn\'t want to leave that out...

Thanks Guys!

:D

Most of the photos were posted at 800 x 600 so yeah they got shrunk and do look really bad! Because Syriak was posted portrait style, the width is only 600 wide- which is why he looks crisper than the others.

As I have been told, the width needs to be 600 or less, but I only found that out after I had posted the photos. In future I\'ll shrink them a bit more and hopefully that will make them less grainy. I\'ll also try and make them so you get all the different angles in the same shots.

When I do my next moon puppy I\'ll take some WIP shots and write an article on doing fur for you all. It won\'t be for a while though!

The Grave guardian looks a lot better IRL. The swords were an experiment to try and get a bone effect but it looks more like fossilised wood. I also experimented with crackle glaze on the swords.

I\'m still learning how to do NMM and am not too good at it yet!

I\'ll have to have a look for that W & N brush on Matt varnish. I use GW spray matt but it does come out glossy sometimes, being in the UK I don\'t have access to testors dull coat.

Many thanks for taking the time to review my moon puppies. :D I\'ll have to try and improve on my photography!!

Kat

OK, so now that we\'re at it... what did you use for the water effects on the Solitaire? Woodland scenics\' \"Water effects\" perhaps? If so, may I steal... er, borrow the idea...? :rolleyes:

Oooh, nice! I like the texture effects you\'ve managed to achieve and I don\'t think you should change anything. You\'ve got a definite \'style\' and that\'s rare in these days of paint by numbers figures. Keep it up (but get a better camera). :D

By the way, little trade secret, but there\'s a product used by RC plane makers called \'MicroBaloons\' that makes superb powdery snow. They use it for filling areas but a bit of PVA and it makes mini bases look all christmassy! lol

Originally posted by VLRM
    OK, so now that we\'re at it... what did you use for the water effects on the Solitaire? Woodland scenics\' \"Water effects\" perhaps? If so, may I steal... er, borrow the idea...? :rolleyes:
    Yes and yes! You need to build it up in layers - letting each one dry- it does take a while.. :D- though avoid spraying varnish on it because it makes it look a bit frosty- which I found out to my cost. :(

Panza- I\'ve got a huge tub of Woodland Scenics snow that I use. Once that runs out I\'ll have a look for that microballons stuff- sounds interesting. Though I doubt I\'ll be running out for a while. :)

The cameras not too bad, its a Sony Cybershot DSC-P50 its just that I\'m not very good at photography- lack of good light sources, combined with the compression of the pics thanks to CMON which makes it look bad!:~(

Cheers!

Kat

Just a note to say I\'m reposting some shots of the Solitaire 2, the grave guard and a new shot of Onyx the Prowler. :D Hoping they wont be shrunk this time!!

I\'ve also posted some of my older stuff, more dragons, etc.

Regards

Kat

Just shrink your picture to 600 pixels wide in Photoshop, that way you are sure the picture quality is smooth.

Default fine fine art

Great painting Kittykat23uk!!!

You have your own distinct style of mini-painting going on:)

Excellent miniature art:)

Cheers,
    Chris