What area of expertise do you work in?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What area of expertise do you work in?

Default What area of expertise do you work in?

Having had a few stressful weeks I was talking to friends about managing stress and refered to how I use Painting miniatures as a meditation.
    This led to general discussions on the most stressful jobs between all of us, eventually the discussion wore down, but left me wondering what the demographics of the site visitors are.

So I\'d be grateful if you\'d take the time to answer the poll.
    Many thanks.

Well lets see I still got 3 years of High School left then (only 2 after this year), Then hopefully I can change my answer to military.

I am a software engineer for Sprint Telecommunications. I build the software in each of the switches we own to make sure your call gets to where its supposed to go, or your features work without a problem.
    VLRM is one too I think, but in Spain. :)
    I WAS military 5 years ago, but got out after a stint in the Pentagon. For supposedly being the brain bucket of the United States Defense, it sure is a Hell hole inside!
    :|~

I\'m also a software engineer. The company I work for creates software for container ports: for example software for yard planning, the loading of container vessels, the assignments of cranes, car terminals, cargo terminals and a lot of administrive programs.
    For my current project I build GUI\'s using Microsoft\'s C#.NET.

soon to be store-owner I am (like yoda also I speak now)

Another software engineer/programmer here (or at least I will be in about two month when my final exam is done). My field is multimedia applications.

It sounds a bit strange posting this with the help of a PC but I use painting to get away from the computer from time to time.

AAvH-Darkblade

Default Software, all the more reason for Mini-Hardware

Well, Dragonsreach seems we are on the same page, I also paint as a meditation. I find there is nothing better to keep me sane in the insane world of IT. I\'m Vice President of a software development company that develops an Applicant Tracking & Management system for all sizes of business. It is delivered via the Internet (ASP) so is a 24/7 operation . . . stress . . . I directly oversee product development, business development & client services . .. basically the only people who don\'t report to me are the CEO, the accounting department and a few admin staff. So there are many nights I go home straight to my painting table, stopping only to kiss my beautiful fiancée on the way.

Darkblade :cool:

crap, i kind of feel dumb between all these software engineers :~(

Default communications....

I work for a major telecommunications company for which am officially entitled a \"central office technician\" I maintain and coordinate several offices that handle directory assistance, and operator (dial zero) calls.

I have become more of a \'fix whatever problem arises\' fellow, so I get alot of time working on circuits, pc\'s, windows problems, IT,plus some high end switching work. Kind of a \"jack of all trades, master of none\" job.

Before this current job I was the \'telephone man\' where I use to install and maintain regular old phone lines.

It is not the most glamorous job in the world, but it certainly pays the bills!!:D

Blog Entries

Got to kinda hedge my answer here - I work in the dread Tech Support industry -

Originally posted by GunjiNoKanrei
    It sounds a bit strange posting this with the help of a PC but I use painting to get away from the computer from time to time.
    I started scale modelling again (after a break of a few years, miniature painting followed soon after) shortly after I graduated for exactly that same reason. Before that computers were my main hobby, but these days I only touch one during the weekends sometimes for a game of counter-strike, and sometimes in the evenings (like right now :)) to check my mails and cmon etc. So basically my old hobby is my job right now, and it gave me the opportunity for another great hobby :D

Like Dragonsreach said: it\'s some kind of meditation for me...

Default Error error error errrrrrrrrroooorrrrr

Sorry just B%$$*@ed up the pole - hit IT by mistake - should be eduction. Probably won\'t matter if you get a lot of responses.

Stupid mistake :(:(:(

Contrition great - switching off now!

Originally posted by Nomis
    Sorry just B%$$*@ed up the pole - hit IT by mistake - should be eduction. Probably won\'t matter if you get a lot of responses.

Stupid mistake :(:(:(

Contrition great - switching off now!
    For some reason I\'m still able to vote... so I have voted education for you, ok?

:innocent:

Lurch already said it, but to be precise I am a Telecommunications Engineer. I\'ve worked for 3+ years at different telecom companies in a crumbling market... You just work your @$$ off and still everything keeps falling apart around you. That was not fun.

But now, by an unexpected turn of luck I found myself working as a teacher. I\'ve always liked that, and I\'m teaching computing to future technicians (industry beware!). So far it\'s only temporary: here it\'s a government job, so you need to pass a series of exams to make it definitive. I just sit them and failed :|~ !!! But I hadn\'t really studied, my colleagues told me it\'s always good to sit them at least once so that you know what to expect. Now I know... Next year I\'ll be back.

Right now I\'m quite happy with my life. I don\'t miss all the stress I had one little bit. Now I have to build the stress for myself if I want to. I\'ve taken up swimming again and am planning on re-starting tennis, too. And since I\'m actually on holidays since today, I plan to start painting immediately! Be it miniatures or the house, which is in need of it... lol

Oh, so even though I am an engineer, my answer has been education, of course...

-Percival-

Also programmer...write software for the Energy Industry...yawn...

OK, I\'ll chime in. I\'m a professor of Biology (advanced degrees are in genetics). I wasn\'t sure whether to mark education or that I\'m still in college. Lifelong learner, I suppose. Besides, the question\'s ambiguous (and how many times have I heard that? Too many to count).lollollol

Hmm..... :duh: a whole bunch of people saying they are an engineer, and only one hash mark beside the engineer choice... :o
    Lets make up our minds people!!! :bouncy: :P

I work in Manufacturing. The company I work for specializes in media duplication/replication and caters to special interest groups/corporations. I manufacture the VHS cassettes for them. as supervike said, \"It\'s not the most glamorous job in the world, but it certainly pays the bills.\"

Originally posted by Lurch
    Hmm..... :duh: a whole bunch of people saying they are an engineer, and only one hash mark beside the engineer choice... :o
    Lets make up our minds people!!! :bouncy: :P
    Well, I did explain my case, didn\'t I? I guess the question it\'s not what you are, but what you work in. You have engineers delivering pizzas these hard days... :o