Request: Differences between modeling \"clays\"

Thread: Request: Differences between modeling \"clays\"

Default Request: Differences between modeling \"clays\"

This is a request for basically a short summary (or confirmation) about modeling puddy or clay...

Greenstuff (AKA Kneadite?) - cures at room temp. Is not easily filed\\sanded. Is flexible after curing. The best for filling gaps and minor conversions??? Very gummy when sculpting with.

Brownstuff - cures hard.. can be filed and sanded to make sharp points... Is it otherwise the same as GS? Is it very gummy like GS?

Apoxie Sculpt - Cures in the air, and can be sanded\\filed... any other advantages\\disadvantages???

any others (to AVOID? )

From what I understand people often use a mix of GS\\brownstuff and lots of plasticard\\cork.

To be able to handle most modeling situations... would GS, BS\\Apoxie, plasticard, and cork fit the bill???

PS can I bake... baking clays, in an oven... for cooking?

Milliput dried hard and can be sanded. Can be mixed with GS for best of both worlds and is a little cheaper than GS so is good for larger products.

Originally posted by J2FcM
    Greenstuff (AKA Kneadite?) - cures at room temp. Is not easily filed\\sanded. Is flexible after curing. The best for filling gaps and minor conversions??? Very gummy when sculpting with.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Not really (might be a personal preference thing, I like hard putties for filling).
    Yes, but can be modified in various ways (the easiest being to play with the proportion of blue and yellow).

Brownstuff - cures hard.. can be filed and sanded to make sharp points... Is it otherwise the same as GS? Is it very gummy like GS?
    Yes.
    Yes.
    That\'s like asking is a pear otherwise the same as an apple, except for the taste and colour :)
    Don\'t think so.

Apoxie Sculpt - Cures in the air, and can be sanded\\filed... any other advantages\\disadvantages???
    Yes and yes.
    It\'s quite soft when mixed, which if you\'re used to something firm(er) is difficult to get used to. Long working time. Good adhesion (slightly better than MagicSculp\'s overall). Sets quite a bit harder than MS.

any others (to AVOID? )
    Personally I\'d steer clear of Milliput since lots of other putties are better in lots of ways, so there\'s no point in trying it.

I would recommend MagicSculp as a general sculpting putty, over AS, as it\'s a little easier to use for most people at a guess (and it\'s usually cheaper too, which don\'t hurt).

To be able to handle most modeling situations... would GS, BS\\Apoxie, plasticard, and cork fit the bill???
    Well yeah, but you could quite easily work with just one of the putties and plastic card, a bit of wire etc. Lots of pro sculptors use just a single modelling compound.

PS can I bake... baking clays, in an oven... for cooking?
    Yes, but how\'s the temperature control on your oven? You have to be careful not to overheat them.

I should mention that some of the people in the polymer clay world are very cautious and recommend not using your kitchen\'s oven for hardening that type of clay.

Einion

Milliput comes in a variety of qualities. I\'ve used the standard (yellowish) and superfine (white) for projects before. As mentioned it can be mixed with greenstuff, in which case you get some of the plus points of both. It reduces the stickyness of the GS as well.

I tend to use a GS/put mix for anything that I am intending to cut/file/sand later - but then again I\'ve never used BS or Apoxie Sculpt... yet (BS is arriving in the post today). I have also personally found Milliput easy to obtain and can be bought at the wargaming shop just out of town, whereas anything else has to be mail ordered.

Anyone tried FIMO before? Ive been looking at Art Supply Warehouse and they have a lot of types of FIMO... but If I remember correctly that stuff needs to be BAKED... baking BAD. sigh Super Sculpey needs baking too:cry:

I use super sculpey for a base on bigger work. Its hard but not rock solid, and anything can be done to it. Use it to start and then add your GS after all the big work. I like it. The baking isn\'t too hard on it. 10 min at 275 is perfect for almost anything.