This year\'s Turner prize winner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This year\'s Turner prize winner

Default This year\'s Turner prize winner

...is positively masterful compared to the buch of losers that usually get nominated

http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/turnerprize/2006/tommaabts.htm

Not exactly high art or anything (imho) but quite nice to look at, I\'d hang them all in my home. Apparently she\'s the first painter to win since \'88.

(some of last year\'s entries)
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=13823

Nice composition and color usage.

Blog Entries

Ok, not bad for modern art.

It evokes a reaction, so according so some sources it must be art.

I\'d give her a 6-6.5 on most of them.

lol

What a sad, sad competition.

There are members here that deserve to win that contest getting 8\'s and maybe even under lol

It does make a nice change to see some \"art\" winning the prize this year rather than just the usual \"marketing\" scam that has been celebrated in the past years. I actually really like the paintings - I\'m not usually a big fan of modern art (or old art even) but these are both interesting and pleasant to look at rather than shocking and challenging.

Unusual in that the Art is a form that is more readily \"acceptable\" to the masses instead of appealling to the \"Intelligentsia\". (and I use that term very loosely).

Although I find that the items shown are somewhat derivitive of other painters the work is still easily accessible to the viewer and doesn\'t need three volumes to explain the \'Artists\' intent.

Nice enough pictures I suppose, but the blurb is the usual modern art BS - \"As the internal logic of each composition unfolds forms are defined, buried and rediscovered until the painting becomes ‘congruent with itself’ .\"

Que?

Originally posted by Bloodfinger
    Nice enough pictures I suppose, but the blurb is the usual modern art BS - \"As the internal logic of each composition unfolds forms are defined, buried and rediscovered until the painting becomes ‘congruent with itself’ .\"

Que?
    EXACTLY!

@bloodfinger
    lol
    Unfortunatley I had to go to art school to reach that same conclusion.
    Art depicts life, what does that say about the way we\'re livinglol

I\'ll never understand modern art, so I guess I\'m just a classless slob. That artist\'s work is nice, but it doesn\'t look any better then half the backgrounds I\'ve seen on the web.

Whatever happened to art that meant something? I mean REALLY something, not some neo-intelligentsia diatribe about the powerful use of color to convey man’s existential journey through a preamble of commercialized Pop-culture.

See? I can dish that crap out, but I still have no idea what it means!

It\'s not modern art. Modernism was done with by the 70\'s.

Strictly speaking it\'s contemporary or Post Modern.

And it\'s far superior to the shite that wins the Turner Prize usually, although it certainly won\'t garner the same headlines. I really like it. Definite Blaue Reiter and Bauhaus influences in there. Which is great - she\'s German!

It\'s quite amusing that this prize gets slated each year by the masses for being too \'out there\' or up its own arse, then when they select a real traditionalist medium (painting on canvas...) as a winner, it gets slagged as being derivative.

Blog Entries

And you expected less?

@Markus Tay (got it right this time I did :D) - In the end though, isnt art (or ART) supposed to evoke an emotion? And you have to admit, this does evoke an emotion.

I like these ones. Art is so subjective, some contemporary art I like, some I don\'t and they can be equally far out. If it gives me any feeling then it\'s all good for me. :)

Wow... she studied at the same University as me...:)...

Niiiice...

I\'m going to enter the Turner Prize next year - my entry is a shed, made out of prostitutes advertising cards from phone boxes, which I converted into a boat, and then back into a shed, inside which is a real, unemployed man, sleeping in an unmade bed, with half a cow.

what do you think my chance are...? lol

Originally posted by DaN
    I\'m going to enter the Turner Prize next year - my entry is a shed, made out of prostitutes advertising cards from phone boxes, which I converted into a boat, and then back into a shed, inside which is a real, unemployed man, sleeping in an unmade bed, with half a cow.

what do you think my chance are...? lol
    Throw in an lobster in a urinal and I think you\'re pretty much there. :yes:

and a couple of piles of elephant crap...

It\'s all lost on me I think Art lost it\'s way with the passing of the old masters.. Generally now it seems any crap can sell as Art and be worth millions ...... Purely decided by a group that consider Art to be a symbol of status rather than expression..they decide it\'s worth a million so they can buy it and say i spent a million

recreation of reality like the ambient glow of candlelight on a portrait surely demand a greater skill than a line......

give me a good rembrandt any day

What would I want on MY walls...?
    A Jackson Pollock or a Manet... Hmm... HMMM... <Sarcasm abounds>

But if people want to pay ME millions of dollars for a \"harrowing pain of a suicidal hamster\" as depicted by a breezeblock balanced on a pencil, then it\'s pay day baby :P

No hamsters were harmed during the making of this breezeblock on a pencil parody

Originally posted by demonherald
    Purely decided by a group that consider Art to be a symbol of status rather than expression..they decide it\'s worth a million so they can buy it and say i spent a million
    Yes, that\'s a fairly accurat summation.

I\'d say a shed made form prostitute flyers, converted to a boat, then back to a shed, housing a homeless man, is a fairly good contender. Would the homeless man be involved in the boating stage, or just the shed stage? Either way, pretty good. You could also have him serviced nightly by every prostitute who\'s card is used, then burn the shed down with him inside when he\'s done.

Originally posted by DaN
    What would I want on MY walls...?
    A Jackson Pollock or a Manet...
    Monet for me, or a Rossetti, perhaps a Holman Hunt, hey I even appreciate a Bob Ross picture.