Preferred backgrounds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred backgrounds

Default Preferred backgrounds

What is your preferred background for viewing (not displaying) minis? Plain, solid color background, appropriate terrain, realistic? Just curious for future reference. Thanks for your responses!:beer:

If you mean in photos, it depends. If it\'s some kind of diorama, then it\'s nice to see the whole scene and not just the mini in it.

I personally prefer the background to be a solid neutral color, preferrably some shade of grey or black. I\'ve never been a big fan of the light blue backgrounds, but to each their own. However, I feel that sometimes it just takes away from the mini.

I prefer neutral backgrounds because they make the \"reading\" of the mini easier. Either blue-white ones for day time minis or black-grey ones for OSL effects.

Blog Entries

20% blue or 20% grey card works for me -
    Then you can actually see the mini.

Well, if a mini is in some sort of \"landscape\" background, then sometimes it can be distracting - especially if the mini is in the same colours...

If someone was going to have a photo in that sorta style, they should ALSO include plain background pics TOO.

psychadelic 60\'s colors..., with swirlies and flashers!

Or just a plain blue fade.

I think that if you\'re expecting people to be able to judge and feedback on your mini accurately, you have to choose a background that enables this - something plain and neutral but with enough contrat to the model that it stands out clearly.

Sometimes its fun to see people putting an \"appropriate\" background on but this does make it harder to appreciate the work that\'s gone into painting the mini.

Most of all though, avoid any distracting objects in the ackground - ie don\'t put up a photo with other half-finished minis behind etc as this takes the focus heavily from the main piece. Either use a paper/card backdrop or photoshop it (it doesn\'t have to be uberprofessional - just keep it plain).

Originally posted by supervike
    psychadelic 60\'s colors..., with swirlies and flashers!

Or just a plain blue fade.
    flashers?! :o (cue Finn reminding us that CMON is not for children.) Oh! One of those magic eye thingies in the background!

A dull background for photography that a paint program\'s \"flood fill\" feature can easily separate from the actual mini has been my favorite... that way you can put whatever background you want in.

blue to white for me, always!

I think the desk top shots are fine for WIP\'s but a definate no no for submissions

I\'ve been thinking about trying grey/white for my next submission. Might be good.

Blog Entries

I have seen a few posted with a silhouette of a battle as the background that I think looks nice. It adds flavor without detracting from the minis - usually.

Well, I\'ve got an Eldar Biel-Tan Falcon that\'s just about finished. I think this is almost Golden Slayer Entry quality and I want to make sure of having the \"best\' presentation for it. It has a lot of detail, poseability and a \'special\' feature that I won\'t go into until it\'s posted. Thanks for all your comments, and keep \'em coming!
    Kev:beer:

btw, I\'d love to have one of my Shining Spears for my Avatar, but I\'m not sure how to do it, any help out there?

Originally posted by kevlar56
    btw, I\'d love to have one of my Shining Spears for my Avatar, but I\'m not sure how to do it, any help out there?
    Photo It crop to the area you want, Size the image to 50 Pixcels and upload it in the User control panel/ My account section.

My veiw on Backgrounds : I prefer a Plain or Gradient backgroud for veiwing a mini. Although sometimes placing a mini in a contextual background sometimes does work. But it does depend on the quality of the photo as well.

One thing that does \"Bug me\" is seeing huge Name Blocks behing a mini. Whether is the painter or the mini\'s name, either one irritates me.
    However the painters Logo or copyright information placed subtley I can understand and appreciate.

schmackeroo

funny one this cos I have phoo of the same models on different backgrounds, the worst rated one are the ones recommended to use, and the one with the better ratings i,ve found alot of people dont like. I\'m leaving them all on and will be posting more just to see the difference.
    http://coolminiornot.com/artist/schmackeroo
    red and pine and junk or white????

I\'ve started using a backdrop of the desert landscape used on the McFarlane\'s Dragons packaging.

It hasn\'t helped my pictures any, but it looks better than the corner of my desk and my lamp behind the minis. :)

schmackeroo

Default pic of the best?

is it the models paint job or its enviroment thats important?
    choose.
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/141424
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/142043
    or should i just doctor in photo shop. is that cheating????

The pic on th red background has brighter and more vibrant colours. The grey seems to suck away the colours.

How about one of those pictures you have to stare at to for a while before the image comes out?