Product of the Year 06

Thread: Product of the Year 06

Default Product of the Year 06

So its nearing 07 now, and over the next week people might be tearing open some fresh new kit\'s and looking at all the brand new unpainted goodness in the world of minatures.....but what was your product of the year 06?

i thought it would be cool if people could write about thier favorite product released this year gone by and tell everyone else why that was thier pick of the best...

...was it a new model? The Eldar Wraithlord? The Warhammer Giant? A new model from Reaper or Wyrd? Or even a fantastic piece of historical goodnees from Andrea?

...was it a game? perhaps the Battle for Skulls Pass boxset? or the new Infinity game?

...A revamp of existing products maybe? The new Orc\'s and Goblins? The Vostroyan range? The brand new Eldar sculpts?

...maybe a book? a new edition of rules that have changed your style of gameplay for the better and made the hobby more exciting?

...A product range, the new P3 paints? A scenery set? Rough coat spray from GW?

So what is it this year that has completely changed the way you paint, play, or look at the hobby?

Il go first with the Cities of Death building kits.

These kits for a person like me are fantastic. Im not a lover of making scratchbuilt scenery and these kits make it fast and simple, with a great looking end result.

For £15 for a single box or £50 for he mega box they seem expensive but once you open them up and look at the quaility of the sculpting and the vast amount of variations you can build, that price doesnt seem to high.

The kits are simple to build and put together, i managed to build prime and paint a building to a very good looking standard in just under 3 hours, and iv got more bits to create another building.

Spare parts are aplenty depending on how you build the main building, im using spare bits for conversions, dioramas, and bases.

So the Cities of Death building packs get 9.5/10 from me and are my Product of the Year. (9.5 because you are limited in only using them for city settings)

(These are purely people own opinions and not meant to cause arguments!)

Since I am still relatively new to the hobby and even newer still to CMoN, I would have to say that the product of the year for me is not actually a product at all. It\'s CMoN! Thanks to all the people here with their helpful advise and articles, I am lightyears ahead of where I\'d be if I hadn\'t found you all.

Thanks folks! :beer:

I quite like a lot of the Eldar models. Freeman has sculpted some awesome stuff for Andrea(?) this year too.

Yeah to CoD buildings are cool, Battle for Skull Pass is great value, love the GAmes day mini (trollslayer) and the new eldar are cool.

Skull Pass. If I was a newbie this would be the greatest thing ever! Screw all the people who whine about the lack of quality in the miniatures and whatnot, this is an awesome starter set. For 40 notes you really couldn\'t hope for more.

Gets my vote.

Blog Entries

Good question..Im not sure Ive found anything to really say \"Has been the best thing this year\".
    I really did like the new rangers and orc kommandos. And got round to getting some Heresy stuff ( I love the Von halfling model!).
    All round success I reckon. Lets see what next year brings :beer:
    Hopefully more time with the folks at GD07

although i loved the wh giant (shiny plastic goodness) the one product that has revolutionised my sculpting is procreate. bloomin marvellous stuff

oh and the heresy trilogy (amazing)

worst or the year - rough cote. bought 2 cans and both have stopped working after one use and despite what it says on the bottle, melts the polystyrene like crazy

For me, the GW hero basing kit has been a great help in adding an extra dimension to my minis without too much extra effort. Also have just started using snow scatter which is surprisingly effective too. As for minis, I\'ve actually been more into buying classic models online so Ebay gets a big thumbs up too as I only started using that this year and am already nearly bankrupt :]

Originally posted by spazzy
    Since I am still relatively new to the hobby and even newer still to CMoN, I would have to say that the product of the year for me is not actually a product at all. It\'s CMoN! Thanks to all the people here with their helpful advise and articles, I am lightyears ahead of where I\'d be if I hadn\'t found you all.

Thanks folks! :beer:
    i agree fully. After starting painting for a school comp CMON and gamesday have been the biggest discovery for me this year.

cheers guys:beer:

Temporary Sanity

I would have to say my favorite product in 2006 has been ProCreate, also. Been a rather slow year for my painting, but I used ProCreate exclusively once I got it.

Im going to say Hasslefree miniatures they have something that suites anyones tastes be it gaming or painting. They have the best standards I have seen from a miniatures company and listen to their customers.

As far as minis i have to say Crunch-waffle gets my vote as best product of the year. Their stuff is steller looking, easy to c lean and a pleasure to paint. Also the guys at Crunch-Waffle have some of the best attitudes and some great people.

Just too many to think about....but I hadn\'t noticed those buildings of GW\'s before....pretty impressive!

Heres some of my top \'fun\' of the year!

Alpha Forge\'s Demobot and Asteroid Chief
    Wyrd\'s Killjoy and Misaki
    Urban War\'s 300 series.

Things I \'discovered\' in the last year (but may have been around for longer)

Old Crow Models...(COOL!)
    Superfigs
    Jim Bowen

Blog Entries

Originally posted by supervike

Jim Bowen
    Super, smashing, great.

For me Eldar figures, quite a few of Privateers miniatures and the Infinity stuff.

I\'d say the barbarian line from Ilyad (now sadly defunct) ranks pretty high on my list. Steve Buddle\'s Mad Hatter sculpt for Wyrd is another contender as is a bunch of Kev White\'s Hasslefree releases (Artemis, anyone...?:o ).