Have you given a painted mini as a gift? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you given a painted mini as a gift?

I have not given painted gaming minis before, but I have painted (or re-painted) several \"near-minis\" as gifts. Early last summer, I reworked about 80% of a ceramic cake topper for my niece\'s wedding. This was well received by her family, and she was thrilled, still referring to it as one of her favorite gifts. More recently, I repaired/converted & painted four pieces of costume jewelry (all dragons) as gifts to friends. All were well received and recognized for the effort and personal touch more than any particular skill on my part. The best reaction was from the non-gamer/non-painter.

I don\'t normally paint miniatures for perfect strangers, but I seem to have run out of friends. :innocent:

I gave my hasslefree Jen to my mum:

I wrote \"No love me, no like me, no hug me!\" on the base, which was something I\'d yell at her when I was young and having a tanty. She loves it. I\'d give her another, sure.

I also gave a hasslefree Mrs H mini to my mother in law and a thunderbolt mountain one to her husband :)

Originally posted by Zordana

I wrote \"No love me, no like me, no hug me!\" on the base, which was something I\'d yell at her when I was young and having a tanty. She loves it. I\'d give her another, sure.
    Thats priceless, Zor!:bouncy:

I sent a set of Gondorians over to my sister in New Zealand to go with the Orcs I did for her last year to complete her chess set......She now wants me to do her a fantasy demon set......should be fun.

my wife asked me last night for a Fabius Bile painted by me for her b-day present...

sound like she\'ll play a chaos army after all..

[quote]Originally posted by Spacemunkie
    I\'ve given minis to people before - never specifically as a pressie though

I did get two as presents myself when I left the school I was teaching at.

One of the lads in my form made me a cracking little diorama of a guardsman digging the grave of his dead officer, and another painted me a rather splendid orc boss.

Fantastic gifts that almost brought a tear to my eye (and that takes some doing :)) [/quote

Any pics??

Yep, gave this to a friend...
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/112282
    He doesn\'t really paint, but he really liked it, and the Reaper Templar Knight I gave him for his birthday.
    And this one went to my aunt...
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/114799
    She definitely isn\'t a painter, but still loved it nonetheless.

This was painted for a friend who helped us move (and is a logn time D&D buddy...

This little guy from Ral Partha I did up quick for an old codger at work who didn\'t understand what I did and was often the brunt of my practical jokes on his computer...

I sent this Partha elf to a friend who was my long-time DM and high school buddy, and who sent me an autographed Judas Priest \"British Steel\" album...

This figure was painted for a good friend (and collector) Gus, who has bought more than a few of my minis for his birthday. He came all the way from minnesota to visit me and get her too!

Hamish MacThomas sits on my Father\'s mantle...

okay, that\'s it. :P

This was my Christmas present for my Brother-in-law.
    ;)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/143458

No but I intend to. I think I\'ve mentioned it before.

Theres this girl in my class who is obsessed with Legolas. We were watching the video of The Odyssey and paused to discuss just before Odysseus attempts to fire an arrow through 12 axe handles proving he is really him. I exclaim \"Without the help of the Gods, noone can do that, its impossible!\" to which I hear a whisper in my ear \"Legolas could\" :rolleyes: . She also likes the Lord of the Rings minis game, so I\'m going to do a small diorama of the scene where Legolas slides down the stairs on the Uruk sheild for her birthday. Shouldnt be too difficult, just the Helms Deep Legolas with the rock removed, a greenstuff shield, polystyrene stairs and plastic Uruks. Sure, its hardly the best present in the world but its more personal than a £10 note stuck in an envelope.

My next post on the subject will probably be in the PYP thread with a block of pink foam glued to my face, my shirt covered in my own blood and a speech bubble declaring \"Sod this, a CD\'ll do\" lol

I may also have to steal lono\'s idea of Sauron and Isildur...

Originally posted by snowball99
    Originally posted by Zordana

Thats priceless, Zor!:bouncy:
    Heh cheers. I could be a little cow when I was younger. lol

Default I\'ve done it 2 times

I\'ve done it twice.

The first time I did this box with four figs. A Sister of Battle, a space Marine, A valhallan Seargent and an Eldar swooping halk exarch.

Each figure represented a trait I saw in my girlfriend (who was leaving for college)

I painted the figs, built the box by handa and wrote a little poem with each fig. I was super proud of it and thought it spoke about how much I valued our friendship.

She took one look at it, frownded and said she wouldn\'t be able to take it with her because it meant one less pair of shoes... :mad:

The second time was for my mom. I painted a Sister of Battle fighting off three cultists in a ruindd building. It ws meant to represent her stugles against a number of people. She liked it and put it in the living room.

Blog Entries

3 painted as gifts to my friend Martine so far. All Christmas presents, it\'s kinda tradition now.

First one was Celestine, I was super proud of how she turned out but I didn\'t have time to take any pics of the finished product before giving her away :P

Second one was the Wardancer Lord I have in my gallery... that one was hard work but a ton of fun. I won\'t be painting the figure again for my army though, for WYSIWYG reasons mainly.

Finally this year I gave her what has affectionately been dubbed \"Little Jack\" by the two of us. Also known as the Mini of the Week :D I think I\'m officially hooked on Andrea Miniatures, I wonder if that leaves enough time for Privateer Press to take over my dreams...

Oh and I gave Martine a customized Sister of Battle Seraphim, unpainted. Private painting lesson for the future!

Originally posted by dauber22
    Do minis painted by other people count? I gave my son, Dedwrekka, the one who got me into this whole crazy mess, beautifully painted orcs by the exceptional Mr. Dragonsreach. They are his pride and joy. :D

Oh, wait! I also gave my sister three Dark Elf Witch Elves that adorn her desk at work - sort of a warning to people who come to see her lol
    They inspire me to try new techniques everytime I look at them.

Default painted mini

yep sure did... my friend scott loved doom 3 and got a pewter demony thing and i painted it.... since then i have not been able to live down the fact that i painted a demons butt.

it was a well defined demon butt though.

Originally posted by uberdark
    yep sure did... my friend scott loved doom 3 and got a pewter demony thing and i painted it.... since then i have not been able to live down the fact that i painted a demons butt.

it was a well defined demon butt though.
    Then you should look into getting a Netherlord (2) from Heresy Miniatures... It\'s a huge, extremely evil-looking demon with an impressively sized manhood. The term \"netherwang\" is commonly used to describe it! :D

Maybe I should also mention that there\'s an option of putting a maimed elf corpse that covers the spot. :innocent:

Originally posted by Ritual
    Maybe I should also mention that there\'s an option of putting a maimed elf corpse that covers the spot. :innocent:
    The most evil condom ever.

Originally posted by hakoMike
    Originally posted by Ritual
    The most evil condom ever.
    ahahahahaa... oh god i can just see it now......wait for it.... waaait for it.... \"UGGHHH!\" its like elf bestiality 101:drool: