Stripping WizKids minis

Thread: Stripping WizKids minis

Default Stripping WizKids minis

I\'ve been looking for something that I can use to strip the paint off of Heroclix figures and other WizKids minis. Pinesol is pretty useless when it comes to these lil buggers.Any advice out there would be quite helpful.

Acetone (is that the name ??? ) i.e. nail varnish remover, paint comes right off.

Read it on this thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=18628

Thanx for the advice man.I will have to try it out.

Will the acetone also work well on D&D miniatures, because they are cheap and are great for roleplaying, but the paintjobs could use a boost.

It would be easier to just paint over on those D&D minis, the paint is thin enough on them.

Yeah, I wouldn\'t even bother with stripping. I\'ve just primered right over top of the crappy paintjobs and it worked fine.

most grades of acetone will devour plastic priming over is the easiest idea.DD:cool:

I would recommend stripping. But not in public, unless it\'s for money.

Anyway.............yes take the paint off of the minis, I\'ve stripped and painted a number of Wizrds Starwars Minis. When stripped there is quite a bit of detail hidden under the mounds of paint. It a pain in the arse, but worth it in the end.

Seriously thinking of re-painting some D&D mins and wondering if people ever have problems with the paint chipping due to the soft plastic the minis are out of?

Is this something I have to worry about, and if so, is there something to do to strengthen the plastic? Does varnish help with regidity?

Originally posted by Gilvan Blight
    Is there something to do to strengthen the plastic? Does varnish help with regidity?
    Basic answer is No.
    The rigidity that varnish would give is surface only. In order to provide a more ridgid figure you\'d need to provide internal structural support, just like our own skeltal structure.
    And to be honest for a Heroclix type figure if you were willing to do that you may as well sculpt your own range.

Seriously thinking of re-painting some D&D mins and wondering if people ever have problems with the paint chipping due to the soft plastic the minis are out of?

Is this something I have to worry about, and if so, is there something to do to strengthen the plastic? Does varnish help with regidity?
    I\'ve only repainted one D&D fig, but I haven\'t seen any problems with paint flaking off as it flexes.

Go figure.... I breathe wrong on a metal mini and the paint falls onto the table in great heaps. lol

Thanks for the info.

I may try out painting some of the Fantasy Flight and Days of Wonder minis as well, as I was worried about them due to the rubber like plastic they use.

I may try out painting some of the Fantasy Flight and Days of Wonder minis as well, as I was worried about them due to the rubber like plastic they use.
    Check out Boardgamegeek and look at the games that have figures you\'re interested in painting - a lot of them have good examples of pained pieces in play, but of course that could be just for show.