Best New Wave Band
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best New Wave Band

Default Best New Wave Band

I freely admit I was child of the 80s - goofy haircut and a fashion victim. I was loading up some old music on my Ipod and got a bit nostalgic, so I thought I would start a poll.

What was the best/most influential \"New Wave\" band of the 80s/early 90s?

I just came up with these off the top of my head - apologies if I left out any major contenders. I intentionally left out \"one hit wonders\", but feel free to discuss them!

I would say The Cure but not as a personal chioce. The Cure HAS been influential since the 80\'s, still influencing bands every day. Though my personal favorite has always been New Order because I can relate more to their lyrics. Still 2 great bands, But if you asked me which one was more influential, history tells that The Cure is it. As for one hit wonders... Take on me by A-Ha... definately influential... and lets not forget... The Buggles \"Video Killed the Radio Star\", event though the song was released in 1979... it is still considered an 80\'s one hit wonder as well as The first music video played on MTV.

Blog Entries

I think definitely Depeche Mode. Their Violator album really defined the genre, and I still love listening to it.

Depeche Mode gets my vote as well.

A few others worthy of mention:

Naked Eyes - \"Promises\", \"Always Something There to Remind Me\"

Psychedelic Furs

Tears for Fears - several good ones, but \"Shout\" and \"Mothers Talk\" are outstanding

Echo & Bunnymen - maybe a bit \"guitary\" for the genre, but close enough

The Cure and New Order, not because i think they are influential or anything. I wasn\'t around then so i wouldn\'t know. But i love the cure\'s music, own all the albums, and some of my earlist memorys are of me running around in my Dad\'s huge fleece pretending i was Robert Smith on for video for Why Can\'t I Be You!

Okay, so if I was to say Black Sabbath, would you think I had failed to get into the spirit of things here?

...okay, Devo.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Brimshack
    Okay, so if I was to say Black Sabbath, would you think I had failed to get into the spirit of things here?

...okay, Devo.
    Whip it Good!

For me it is a tie basically between The Cure and Depeche Mode (with Kraftwerk and New Order also close). But I went with The Cure.

New Wave is a strange term... it seems to be a very broad general term for basically any music that came after (and with some influence of) the punk wave. Lots of these bands have also been associated with smaller sub genres later on.

Other bands worthy of mentioning are Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, Echo and the Bunnymen, Teardrop Explodes, Birthday Party/Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and, of course, Joy Division the band who became New Order after their singer comitted suicide.

I could mention a whole lot of really obscure bands worth mentioning too, but that would only be name dropping! ;)

Can you tell I\'m also a sucker for the music of the late 70s/early 80s? :innocent:

EDIT: Gang of Four - yes, forgot about them. Good call! :)

@brimshack - You would definitely be out of the spirit of things with Black Sabbath.

By all means, feel free to start a \"Best Metal Band\", \"Best Classic Rock Band\" or \"Best Grunge Band\" poll. It is all good!

I even welcome a \"Best Rap Band\", or \"Best Country-Western Band\" poll, although that may be a contradiction in terms. (Runs for cover.)

There is no such thing as a good new wave band :|~

Definitely Talking Heads for me, although, like the poll says, I\'m not sure they fall into the \"New Wave\" category.

The Cure baby, the most upbeat depressing music you can find.

Violent Femmes. :) (they could be New Wave, right?)

elouchard

Do the Cars count? They were real good.

@moderrhu - Violent Femmes are great. Many memorable nights of drunken debauchery with the Femmes blaring in the background. I am not sure how they should be classified - their first album has more of a punk or garage band feel to it. Whatever you call it, it works!

I guess most of the bands I listed can also be labelled as \"electronica\", but I don\'t like that term either. Too many things fit that description.

Bjork/the Sugarcubes deserve mention as well.

@ elouchard - Cars are great, but I would almost call them \"Classic Rock\". What do the rest of you think?

I think The Cars would be classified as classic rock. Still a great band though.

Originally posted by treide
    @brimshack - You would definitely be out of the spirit of things with Black Sabbath.

By all means, feel free to start a \"Best Metal Band\", \"Best Classic Rock Band\" or \"Best Grunge Band\" poll. It is all good!

I even welcome a \"Best Rap Band\", or \"Best Country-Western Band\" poll, although that may be a contradiction in terms. (Runs for cover.)

But my genre is inherently violent and prone to conquest of other genre related discussions. It just isn\'t enough for them to be the best metal band. They must also be the best Mariachi act in the known universe. The musical conquest begins here and now in your pole.

(Whattaya want; I said Devo!?! :P ...I\'m speed racer and I drive real fast.)

@ Brimshack - That simply wouldn\'t be a fair fight. Any of the big metal bands (AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc) would annihilate the entire list of New Wave bands from the poll! Plus, Ozzie probably has rabies from decapitating all those bats...

Originally posted by treide
    @ Brimshack - That simply wouldn\'t be a fair fight. Any of the big metal bands (AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc) would annihilate the entire list of New Wave bands from the poll! Plus, Ozzie probably has rabies from decapitating all those bats...
    Huhahahah! Our conquest of the Pet Shop Boys complete, Metal fans everywhere cast their eyes upon Israeli style Jazz music. :twisted: