when the mini world takes over the real world - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: when the mini world takes over the real world

Ha! Ive got you all beat Ive brought 5 min quick cure RTV silicone putty withy me to press on textures and patterns so I could replicate them later.

But Ill also carry my digital camera with me to take pictures of weathering effects. People look at you strange when your taking pictures of a rusty phone box. lol

err whell i always keep an eye out for slate when im round and about.

i have about perfected the \'tie your shoelace but actually pick something up move\':D

Being new to the whole mini-painting thing I\'m only at the stage of staring at things/people to work out where the highlights are at the moment!

Although I do confess to hopping off my horse to \'steal\' a pocketfull of very nice ornamental slate from someones garden the other day:redface:

Originally posted by Naukhel
    quote:

Orginally posted by hakoMike...

\"Oh, and normal conversation has been replaced with painting/gaming conversation. \"

How is painting/gaming conversation not normal? The only other topics I\'m aware of are movies, books, and forum discussions.... The weather doesn\'t count as a valid subject, to my mind.
    Discussing the record low temperatures of 1994 isn\'t valid conversation?!?
    No, you are right... normal isn\'t the correct word here. I suppose I would change it to \"Conversation turns to painting/gaming at every opportunity.\"

... jeez and i thought i was the only one to notice mould lines everywhere

ah yes. I\'ve taken to frequenting topless and nudie bars just to study up on skin tones.

That\'s my story and I\'m stickin\' to it. ;)

I am a electrician-mechanic, currently working in construction. I was found prowling at night on the field while looking for useful scraps. My colleagues thought that I was stealing copper and equipment... You cannot imagine their faces when they found that my car trunk was loaded with used polystyrene, old rusted iron tubes, used insulation foam, old iron wire and other worthless junk... They took me for a trash feticist....... :no:

Originally posted by uberdark
    in america we have those god awful country craft santa clauses and i find myself comparing the painting on these to my own style.
    I recommend continued practice then!!!!

Just kidding, I understand what you mean :)

Originally posted by dauber22
    ah yes. I\'ve taken to frequenting topless and nudie bars just to study up on skin tones.
    Really with all of the funny colored lights flashing all of the time how does that work for you? :o

Originally posted by Sage
    Really with all of the funny colored lights flashing all of the time how does that work for you? :o
    There speaks the voice of experience....!

Originally posted by Tony Manero
    ... jeez and i thought i was the only one to notice mould lines everywhere
    you are tony... this is all just an elaborate ploy to get you to admit to seeing mold lines everywhere.

*diabolical laughter ensues*

:twisted::evil::twisted:

I tend to find myself studying interesting face shapes for possible future sculpting projects, as well as folds in peoples clothes etc.

The gym is a great place too :) One just has to be careful not to eyeball anyone too hard, or they may get the wrong impression :o

When watching movies, I check for nice color schemes as well as costume and prop design etc.

Originally posted by Thecadian
    err whell i always keep an eye out for slate when im round and about.

i have about perfected the \'tie your shoelace but actually pick something up move\':D
    I\'ve reached the point where I\'m noting the addresses of houses with slate in their front gardens when I\'m out for a walk so I can sneak back one night to snatch a pocketful :twisted:

lawl i did that at my girl frieds house the other day!...but yeah the mold line thing happens to me a lot, was looking at my moble phone and thought to myself \"hmmm maybe i could fill this gap with some green stuff, then sand it down and paint it the same color\" i think the problem there was that i was bored out of my mind rather then having to do with mini\'s and the hobby \"taking over\" :]

Originally posted by Sage
    OSL? lol

About the whole bonsai Exhibit thing. I was looking at my wife\'s bonsai collection and thinking that one of the trees would make for an awesome diorama base.

But I think i might get in trouble if I take it.

i think some of the girls i know think i\'m gay (i\'m not btw) because every time they perve at a topless guy, i look to so i can look at the muscle shapes, and like quadrille, look at interesting faces too. always thinking about stuff when i watch films and have a half decent camera phone to take pics of cool stuff

Originally posted by Hoblit
    About the whole bonsai Exhibit thing. I was looking at my wife\'s bonsai collection and thinking that one of the trees would make for an awesome diorama base.

But I think i might get in trouble if I take it.
    I see you are not totally committed to the hobby yet then ;)

Originally posted by uberdark
    ok so the other i was watching tv and looked at the jug i had with some lemonade and noticed that it had a mold line and decided that it needed to be shaved off.

I must still be okay.

When I first read this line I thought he meant there was fungal growth in his lemonade, and he was going to skim it off and continue to drink.

Hmm... Some of the things here sound all too familiar.

Mouldlines. I started scale modelling when I was 6 so I\'ve always noticed mouldlines and such things. Worse, I have this urge to remove them too, so you sometimes find me scraping a pen or something else with a knife.

Ref. pics: yup, I make those too.

Breaking doen into sub-assemblies and components. Yup. I\'m a mechanical engineer by training, so I do that too. Worse, I also try to figure out how it all works and how it\'s made and used.

Looking at faces and anatomy. Yup, sculpting reference. Also, I sometimes dissect things I see metally into basic shapes (ball, box, wedge, etc.).

I think (or hope) this is normal for any kind of profesion and hobby wo no worries. :)

Bye, Ming-Hua