when the mini world takes over the real world
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when the mini world takes over the real world

Default when the mini world takes over the real world

ok so the other i was watching tv and looked at the jug i had with some lemonade and noticed that it had a mold line and decided that it needed to be shaved off. it was then that i realized that i was getting way to into this hobby. i then started thinking about how when i see a certain texture while driving i also imagine how to use that on my miniature bases. so does anyone else have times where your mini world encroaches on the real world.

and yes we are getting quite geeky now.

:drool:

The mold line thing happens to me all the time :D
    Freak inside :drunk:

Originally posted by uberdark
    ok so the other i was watching tv and looked at the jug i had with some lemonade and noticed that it had a mold line and decided that it needed to be shaved off. it was then that i realized that i was getting way to into this hobby. i then started thinking about how when i see a certain texture while driving i also imagine how to use that on my miniature bases. so does anyone else have times where your mini world encroaches on the real world.

and yes we are getting quite geeky now.

:drool:
    What\'s a \"real world\"? ???

I tend to get like this as I don\'t get enough/any time to paint anymore so I spend all my time thinking about what I want to be doing - colour schemes, techniques, dioramas etc. On my last flight back from Poland I was looking out the mindow at the evening clouds and thought that the purple-to-grey blend would look perfect on a mini... (having tried it, I was wrong :( )

Ive been known to sit at work and take the mould lines off of the cheap mice we have, before I put them in the spares room.

I think it can become subconscious, yeah it could be considered geeky, but its the same with most things you end up doing a lot, you end up doing them as a habit rather than a conscious action..

I do it all the time but not just with mini rerelated stuff. Editorial stuff aswell, when reading magazines and newspapers i always imagine the grid structures and how the type is placed, kerning, line spacing etc...
    I think its just something that happens because people are so used to doing it repeatedly.

Yup...i see mold lines constantly...as well as thoughts on NMM when I see a shiny reflective surface.

Its more than a hobby...its an obsession!

I once went to an exhibit on bonsai trees....

All the time. I always am thinking about how something can be used for basing material before I toss it.

My wife and I were in a Southwest art gallery/store, and I noticed some miniature Kachina dolls. The owner was talking about the intricate detail of the paintjob on such a small scale, and I couldn\'t help but think to myself \"I\'ve seen much better.\"

This hobby definitely changes your perspective.

Okay don\'t even talk about saving crap because it could be used for minis.

Under my steps is a horde of platic, foam, metal, bits, boards, cards, boxes, cardboard, etc.

That\'s not to count left over minis bits, just stuff I COULDN\'T possibly toss.

Out of all of it, I have made some linear obsticals, 2 hills, a forest, a lake and some rivers.

Default I know the feeling well!

I\'ve been going to school for a while now to become a CAD (Computer Aided Draftsman!), and different classes have affected how I see things at times! During the Mechanical Drafting class I would be looking at something and start breaking it down into sub-assemblies! Same thing with doing the surveying class - you start seeing contour lines everywhere! Likewise with painting, I\'ll see something and get this intense look on my face and the Missus will ask what\'s up and then sighs when I tell her I\'m trying to figure out how to recreate whatever I happen to be looking at (chrome, fur, etc...) on a figure! Good thing she loves me! :D

I sat in traffic and pondered SENMM while looking at the chrome bumpers of the cars around me.

Blog Entries

What\'s really bad is my 5-year old has started asking me to trim the mould lines from his plastic soldiers and cowboys so he can paint them. 2nd generation nerdiness.:D

Originally posted by philologus
    What\'s really bad is my 5-year old has started asking me to trim the mould lines from his plastic soldiers and cowboys so he can paint them. 2nd generation nerdiness.:D
    (sniff) you must be so proud!

When I was heavily programming, I used to look at trees or cars and wonder what their poly count was. Nowadays I just compare the lightest leaf color to the darkest leaf color to compare the contrast caused by the light in whatever direction its coming from.

Yes, I have obsessed over mold lines. Even the coffee cup sitting on my desk on front of me has an egregious mold line. I have resisted trimming it, but only because I would be marring the amazingly smooth and shiny surface.

Oh, and normal conversation has been replaced with painting/gaming conversation.

Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    I sat in traffic and pondered SENMM while looking at the chrome bumpers of the cars around me.
    I do this too, one time I nearly rear ended a chrome tanker truck, trying to get close to see the SENMM, then noticed it was covered in those \"flamible liquid\" warnings. Probably not smart of me...

Haha yeah. Chrome.

I have also looked at expensive products of various dubious origin and complained to myself abotu mould lines, or even shoddy painting LOL.

Textures are always running through my mind too... jeans, metals, dirt. You name it. Those alongside a good blasting metal song :twisted:

Originally posted by ZaPhOd
    I have also looked at expensive products of various dubious origin and complained to myself abotu mould lines, or even shoddy painting LOL.
    Definately done that one. Pretty much every time I got out to a store I see something assembled or painted poorly.

I\'ve done it with Video games even, looks at graphics and think things like \"the flames are backwards\", or \"that wouldn\'t reflect like that\"

in america we have those god awful country craft santa clauses and i find myself comparing the painting on these to my own style. i also took one of my sons transformers yesterday and started painting it. david is not happy since i took optimus pime fum him.

lol

Originally posted by matty1001
    I do it all the time but not just with mini rerelated stuff. Editorial stuff aswell, when reading magazines and newspapers i always imagine the grid structures and how the type is placed, kerning, line spacing etc...
    I think its just something that happens because people are so used to doing it repeatedly.
    But that\'s a little different - you are applying your knowledge to something in the same medium, I\'m the same with websites. The mini thing is a whole new level of crazy because it has nothing to do with the stuff you are looking at!

Removing mould lines is something I really hate, so it\'s not something that has happened to me. I guess I avoid spotting them whenever possible, quite often on a mini after finishing a paint job! :rolleyes:

I think I pay a lot more attention to seemingly normal items like a rusted and chipped road sign, or torn up pavement slab than most people would though, filing them away so I can apply it to painting later.

I recently read a book called Masters of Doom (about John Carmack and John Romero, the founders of id and makers of Keen, Doom, Quake - and it\'s really worth a read) and at one point Carmack got so into the coding of the Quake engine that he entered some other realm of vision - Matrix style, where instead of seeing light coming through a window his brain was instinctively coding it. I think that is where you have to admit you have issues!

quote:

Orginally posted by hakoMike...

\"Oh, and normal conversation has been replaced with painting/gaming conversation. \"

How is painting/gaming conversation not normal? The only other topics I\'m aware of are movies, books, and forum discussions.... The weather doesn\'t count as a valid subject, to my mind.

Default C:> C:>\\DOS C:\\DOS>\\RUN

Or something like that. :P
    I tend to think this way about converting stuff... Like I see a cool monster or weapon or something in a film and I\'m thinking whether I could make it. :P