What\'s your workspace like?
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What\'s your workspace like?

Default What\'s your workspace like?

Being short of space, (and time), I\'ve taken to painting on the edge of a dining table. I have three (what I lovingly call) \"crash carts\" that I roll out depending upon what I\'m up to. 1 is for modeling supplies and tools, 1 is for paints and airbrushes, and 1 is an in-progress cart. I was wondering what other people\'s set-ups were like. Pictures?

I bought a Japanese publication on figures and it came with an interesting pamphlet featuring the contributing artists. Each artist\'s work space was photographed and it was pretty facinating how similar yet different each was.

Love to hear how others work.

Thanks
    AWhang

Blog Entries

mine is a white melanine/mdf/particle board workbench with a set of steps made out of scrap lumber to hold my paint bottles and supplies - above the paints is a shelf holding wips - I also have two swing arm magnifing lamps to add light to the area or what I am working on

I cleaned up ever since I had to change tables because it was too wobbly. However, the new table is slightly smaller, so even though I have less than I used to, It still affects me. I have at least 4 WIP along with my cutting make and tools, oil paints. Weird enough, the biggest thing taking up space is my wet pallette, the thing I need most!!

Blog Entries

Just a desk with drawers. Litterboxes for that cats were my feet would go. A line up of wips across the back and my Paintier paint rack.

when i get serious with either penciling freehand art or painting minis i hit the floor. unfrteanatly when i paint i dont use a board under the mini im painting, just use one off to the side so i can mix paints, and i spilled a whole bottle of black wash on the rug. even though i worked like a mule to get it out you can still see it like a soft shadow. since then ive learned to keep my paints in a self contained container but i still go riskee over the floor with the mini itself. ::::;?)

i keep all my supplies in some stowed away tupperware with lots of little cuby spaces but im trading that away for some great stackable drawers from sterilite. 3 drawers, just the right size to hold most non monster minis and i fill the bottom drawer with paints and just slide it out and pick away. i now use these things for everything. good stuff.

Default Messy

http://www.blackmoor.ca/blackmoorimages/myworkspace.JPG

taken back in February. It\'s worse now.:rolleyes:

Peace!
    :innocent:

Messy as well! its a white foldaway table with 2 plastic boxes for paints, and a box contaaining my wet pallette. Just mess really!:rolleyes:

Kat

Well, we\'re in the process of moving, but as soon as I get mine all set up in the new house, I\'ll let you know :) It\'ll be nice to have a clean workstation again! Too bad it won\'t last long...

Default Workspace...

My workspace is literally disgusting. I bought a small coffee table from Ikea...dump almost everything into a box and place it under that table. These are the commonly used tools and items during painting, sculpting...etc. The rest are dumped into the storeroom.

Most importantly, I have proper lighting, cutting board, stands and palette. As for paints, they are placed in boxes (S$1 for each) whereby it is classified according to colour categories.

I work on the dining room table - and keep getting nagged that it needs replacing - guess why.

My paints, brushes, scalpels, glues, etc are in a large fishing tackle box suplemented by a small one for the increasing number of vallejo pots (tubes?) these are stored in a cupboard in the dining room/living room

Unpainted/new minis, raw materials pallets, cutting mats etc. are in a 9 draw merchants chest and WIP (the P is very aspirational at the moment and the W is very dusty) clutter up a wall unit meant for china display.

My light/magnifyer is in a corner and hobby books are in the book shelves.

The problem is that this is a family area so the table is actually used for it\'s real purpose every day and with two children the TV is on all the time - I used to like the Simpsons:flame: so it is very easy not to get painting!

On reflection my wife is pretty tolerant - I think I\'ll buy her some flowers on my way home from work!:D

my first reply was a bit of a joke.
    My workspace *right now* is a mess. I have a folding card table covered with cardboard and then covered again with various and sundry rags, plastics, styrofoam, wood, putty, and of course bottles of paint. When I feel like being tidy I put all my paints in their dedicated tool box and tuck the other stuff in a cabinet. I haven\'t felt the need to be tidy lately. When it all gets put away it comes out again somewhere else in some other formation. What I DO have is a dedicated chair. I bought an easel lamp and clamped it to the back leg of the chair. Wherever I put that chair it always has excellent lighting.

t_haye2

Mine\'s a tip!! Well, the one at work is :D:D I paint at the kitchen table at home at the moment, since I\'ve moved...(yet again) and don\'t have any furniture in my room apart from a bed and a chest of drawers. I\'ll be bying this three piece desk at the end of august, beginning of september, if cashflow allows it. The one I\'m after will have enough room for all my paints, brushes, tools AND a computer!! Although I don\'t have one :(:(
    i know some of you believe you can\'t paint properly in a messy area, but it seems to work for me, I guess it reflects my fuzzbrain personality!! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Nomis
    I work on the dining room table - and keep getting nagged that it needs replacing - guess why.

My paints, brushes, scalpels, glues, etc are in a large fishing tackle box suplemented by a small one for the increasing number of vallejo pots (tubes?) these are stored in a cupboard in the dining room/living room

Unpainted/new minis, raw materials pallets, cutting mats etc. are in a 9 draw merchants chest and WIP (the P is very aspirational at the moment and the W is very dusty) clutter up a wall unit meant for china display.

My light/magnifyer is in a corner and hobby books are in the book shelves.

The problem is that this is a family area so the table is actually used for it\'s real purpose every day and with two children the TV is on all the time - I used to like the Simpsons:flame: so it is very easy not to get painting!
    Mines exactly the same :)

My painting space usually consists of a tray on my lap, although sometimes I don\'t bother with the tray. :D

I have a seperate desk, but I usually put everything back into a cupboard when I finished painting. Because during the weekends I \"paint on the road\", everything is stuffed in a tackle box, except for my minis. Some stuff remains on my desk: varnish spray can, primer spray can, bottle of water, cup for water.

Maybe it\'s also because I am a rather tidy person in the house :D or that I\'m afraid that someone will move or damage my stuff...

Originally posted by Nomis
    On reflection my wife is pretty tolerant - I think I\'ll buy her some flowers on my way home from work!:D
    GOOD IDEA!

I don\'t know how my wife puts up with it either.

I tend to have a \'floating\' workspace. Lots of times (including right now) I have my space set up at the dining room table. But, I also have an area in the living room (so I can watch tv), I have a shoebox in the bedroom filled with orcs I am \'prepping\'.

But officially my workspace is in my garage. I spent alot of time (and money) last year putting in cabinents, a work table, and some decent lighting.

So, there are very few \"mini\" free areas in the house. Even the bathroom has the monthly issue of white dwarf for \'inspiration\'!lollol

Default I work in a lovely environment :)

I\'ve got a weird thing i made from a set of IKEA shelves. and it looks like a bloody Preacher\'s pulpit...

It\'s cool though!

And messy.

And doubles as a bookcase somehow.

rev :)

Originally posted by supervike

So, there are very few \"mini\" free areas in the house. Even the bathroom has the monthly issue of white dwarf for \'inspiration\'!lollol
    Phew! I\'m glad you put \'inspiration\' at the end of that sentence... I was sure it was going to end differently :D

My workspace tends to be tidy once per week, then gets generally worse until it\'s tidied again.

I have what some of my friends would consider an ideal workspace. An entire room of the house dedicated to my \"stuff\".

That\'s why I always laugh that I have this great space, yet no time to do anything with it. If I had a website, I\'d post pictures.