Jericho\'s Dark Angel (and various side-projects) project log - Page 7
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Jericho\'s Dark Angel (and various side-projects) project log

looks nice! next step is to make it skinned lol

// Larre

Blog Entries

I was thinking of doing the silver next, but yeah skin is on the way ;)

At the moment I\'m just smoothing out his banner a bit. I hacked and ground off the DA logo so I could freehand the design on instead. I know Azrael\'s new backpack has the cool mural sculpted on now, but I already went to the trouble of puttying fire around the skull atop the banner pole to match the picture in the Codex... and I started grinding the banner down before I found out about the new official one :P

Blog Entries

OK so at this point I have no idea what color to paint the little eagle thingy holding his cloak up.

Gold probably wouldn\'t work, there\'s a ton on him already. Silver probably won\'t work because the majority of the silver on the model is will be in that area already. White probably won\'t work because of the feathers right next to it. Way too much green and grey on the model to use it for another accent piece. No way this thing would be black. I don\'t think it would look good in red either.

So daaaang, that\'s a lot of colors I don\'t want to use there. Didn\'t really think that part of the color scheme through did I? Anyway I think white, silver or verdigris copper might be the best options at this point? Opinions?

its looking good man. i love the piece so much. the colors are great on it. especially the bone white colors.

I\'m gonna say white. Not sure why... It seems far enough away from the feathers... and it looks like a lot of silver in that area (chains etc...). White seems like a good idea.

think white or a lighter grey than the cape would good.

Gold! GOLD! Always believe in your sooooul!

You\'ve got the power to know, you\'re indestructablllle!

Always believe in...

Ahem!

The eagle should be gold. There are a few other things in the surrounding area that are also that colour for sure, but they aren\'t overpowering. Another material for the eagle is going to make it too busy I think, and if the chains below it are silver then it will all maintain a good contrast.

(Or if you insist on getting something different in there, you could do the wings the same red as the symbol on his cloak)

Blog Entries

It\'s pretty hard to say no to any advice given in song form :D

I think I\'m leaning towards white though, it\'ll tie in with the big white wings on the Ravenwing. And I think I\'ll make the feathers on the gun black-tipped which will tone them down slightly as well... should work out okay I think.

Here\'s hoping you don\'t have him done for sunday :P.

Blog Entries

OK so I finally got confirmation about the painting contest Sunday... supposedly starts at noon and there\'s a \"regular scale\" and \"large scale\" category, any game system. So 40k vs. Fantasy vs. LoTR in each category.

So this leaves me with an interesting decision, do I enter the Warrior Priest for small scale or finish up the big guy here? The banner alone is something I would normally spend a couple of days on... and I don\'t have a ton of free time in between now and tomorrow morning between homework and a movie night I\'ve got lined up.

Ugh, I think I\'m better off going with the Warrior Priest, I really can\'t stand rushing models.

BTW Picked up Sammael today, FINALLY came out in Canada. And now I\'m tempted to convert his jetbike into Landspeeders for my army so I can avoid the plastic ones altogether. And since I have a number of Landspeeders my friend Tom wanted to buy off me anyway, I can turn that into Sammael money :P The real question is whether or not it\'s even gonna be possible to find room for 2 heavy weapons on that jetbike.

paint the eagle like a jewel, maybe green or blue.

JoD

Originally posted by Jericho
    It\'s pretty hard to say no to any advice given in song form :D
    Awww! I was banking on the tune winning you over.

I always used to sing that when I\'d get a gold weapon during my Diablo II addiction. Both terribly sad, and terribly cool at the same time I\'m sure you\'ll agree! lol

For the jetbikes, if you wanted a cheep alternative you could do conversions Battlefleet Gothic Imperial Cruisers, which are practically identical at the front, and you can get two of them for ten quid.

Personally I\'d stick with traditional speeders for the normal guys, to keep Sammael looking more distinct.

Originally posted by Jericho
    OK so I finally got confirmation about the painting contest Sunday... supposedly starts at noon and there\'s a \"regular scale\" and \"large scale\" category, any game system. So 40k vs. Fantasy vs. LoTR in each category.
    That is ABSOLUTELY RIDONCULOUS. Just plain dumb!

Blog Entries

Hehe not only that, but I finished a Crisis Suit that\'s been 95% done for months. Varnish is drying now. Should make a nice Large Scale entry ;)

Technically he could still use some of those \"barcode\" style Tau markings, but I have no idea where/how to do those just yet, and don\'t want to try until I\'m happy with an idea. Done wrong they really destroy the look of the suit in a hurry.

Anyhoo remotely on topic, the Sammael Landspeeders would be a lot harder than I first thought. I played around with some blu tac and whatnot and adapting plastic non-special character looking torsos to the bike would be really hard, and then there\'s that whole \"where the heck do I put the second heavy weapon\" fiasco all over again.

Still something possible but I wouldn\'t consider it likely at the moment. Anyway I\'ll try and snap a shot of the Crisis Suit when I\'m done with the Dullcoat. It\'s a Forgeworld one, converted up and on one of those resin Cities of Death bases they came out with a year ago or so. Looks pretty nice, I really like the colors I picked for the \"army\" but the thought of painting a fleet of Hammerheads/Devilfishes scared the pants off me.

Blog Entries

There we go. Once again, I might add some real fine detail work later on (in fact I plan on it :D) and maybe even try out some weathering. He\'s like obsessive compulsively clean at the moment.

He\'s also just pinned to the base right now, not glued. Once I\'m 100% done the fine detail work he will be glued with the front foot slightly off the ground, not resting in the gravel.

this one looks great! it looks like he will be armed for eternity ;)lol

// Larre

Ok. It\'s official. I hate you.

Off to finish my sergeant...

Blog Entries

That was a pretty decent afternoon at the shop, went after church and it took a bit longer than I expected, but I found out a lot about the new Blood Angels and some more forthcoming releases. Not much beyond what\'s floating around the internet, but largely confirming some rumors.

Blood Angels sound like a completely different army now, much more like you would expect them to be from the older background.

Biggest difference(s):
    -no free Furious Charge for the whole army
    -no rolling for random Death Company, any squad of 10 guys can buy an eleventh and have him automatically go to the DC... and instead of having half your DC with free powerfists and all that, they all get rending attacks in combat now
    -Mephiston is a crazy mofo, supposedly able to use his psychic powers AND force weapon in the same turn, in addition to retaining his crazy S and T

Should all be in the WD in the next 2 issues or so.

Also, I managed to pick up a pair of DA Command Squad boxes as my prizes for the contests (well I paid $10 for one of them, because they were a bit more pricey than a standard Regiment box). This brings my running total of DA goodness to 1 army box, 2 Ravenwing battleforces, 2 Command Squads, Sammael, Ezekiel, 30 Terminators from before, and whatever else I have lying around. I\'ll probably just paint the power armor characters for fun and use the Bikes/Termis exclusively in the army. The rest will be for future projects. The Veteran bodies might get used for a small Fallen army at some stage, maybe like 1000 pts tops.

First off, very nice job with the battlesuit. I found they were real swines to paint, what with all of the large flat surfaces, but your smooth blending and sharp edge highlights make this one look very good. Was it this one that you entered the comp with?

Yeah, I\'m waiting to see those new Blood Angel rules before I commit to the possibility of painting up some new Marines. I was all set to do Dark Angels, who have always been my chapter, but I was so gutted with the new rules that I can\'t bring myself to use them.

If the Blood Angels list appeal more I may change my allegiance and do a Terminator heavy (I have 25 of them waiting to be put together) force of them. If not I think I\'ll make up my own chapter instead. Certainly not Space Wolves anyway, I have played Dark Angels long enough to feel bile rising even if I consider that option!

Blog Entries

I think DA are a nice new list, but they are pretty different from regular Marines. Quite a bit stricter most of the time, with some very cool options and freebies and whatnot. I think the \"combined arms\" approach of mixing Deathwing and Ravenwing is the way to go, seasoned with a bit of power armor if you\'re feeling guilty. Which is something the DA probably do.

Anyway, the BA are actually sounding like a realistic army again, instead of a bunch of loonies with chainsaws.