Miniatures close-ups
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Miniatures close-ups

Default Miniatures close-ups

Do you have any miniatures close-ups? I mean real close-up. Something like this:

It\'s about 800% zoom.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

sure, but nobody want to see mine.
    lol

tsss.. that\'s not a close-up. This is a close-up! lol

I\'ve posted it before though.. only an experimental thing by my friend who\'s a photographer (using two lenses put together). Notice the depth of field.. that\'s the largest we could get..
    and still his nose is fuzzy. And yes.. he has got some skinproblems. ;) Shame I can\'t get any shots like these on my newer minis as he\'s moved away.. kind of takes you down to earth... lol
    maybe when he comes to visit! :)

2Avelorn: you are so brave! lol

Anybody else?

dear lord i dont have the guts. but i will try to later tonite....maybe... if .....i am still feelign up to it. :)

I need a new camera to do that... mine doesn\'t have the resolution or depth of field it takes... :(

This WIP photo is the closest pic of a mini I have. The ink shine makes it a little hard to see.

ah cool, I love seeing the close-ups!! They are great, people shouldn\'t be afraid.

Here\'s a pic of my recent mini - unfortunately my camera isn\'t as good as you guys, argh, this is the maximum size I can get, it\'s the size it comes straight from my old camera haha - I want bigger pics! Like you sven, oh man.,..your pic is HUGE! hehe

I\'ll post some more pics later maybe.

Might i ask why? Or was this just a blatent pimp and show off of the smoothness of your painting?

Just a hunch, thats all.

@Avalorn: He seriously needs some moisturiser! Look how dry and cracked his skin is!

hehe.. actually I have reduced this image slightly.. :o

@Matty1001: Yes.. and some acne-reducing agency! So ever since this photo I always mix in a little bit of that in my cleaning water while painting skin.
    Works wonder of smoothness in faces! I tried to use an acne scrub first.. but somehow I just got the reverse reaction..???

;)

Originally posted by matty1001
    Might i ask why? Or was this just a blatent pimp and show off of the smoothness of your painting?
    well, I don\'t think it needs to be seen as a \'show-off\' or anything like that - in my opinion, looking at really big pics of people\'s work is great for learning, because you can gain a better insight into how things are painted. Seeing the brush strokes allows you to appreciate the work that goes into small detail, and if it\'s a great mini, it gives you a better idea of the level for which you should be aiming. From the other perspective, showing big pics of your minis to other people makes it easier for them to help you, because the flaws are more readily apparent, rather than being disguised by a smaller scale pic. A large photo really shows exactly what is going on, in terms of technique, I think.

Well, that;s just my opinion anyway - I really enjoy seeing large photos of other people\'s work.

This is site for posting miniatures, talking about painting techniques and etc. So, looking at close-ups can help somebody improve his own technique.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by automaton
    Well, that;s just my opinion anyway - I really enjoy seeing large photos of other people\'s work. Except having to scroll over to read what has been written.

Originally posted by johnboyjjb
    Originally posted by automaton
    Well, that;s just my opinion anyway - I really enjoy seeing large photos of other people\'s work. Except having to scroll over to read what has been written.
    haha yes - blame avelorn and his monster pic! ;)

Originally posted by Alexi Z
    This is site for posting miniatures, talking about painting techniques and etc. So, looking at close-ups can help somebody improve his own technique.
    As i said \'just a hunch\'

And yea, they help, even Avelorns 1:1 scale photo helps, as i can see where he applying the different colours.

haha sorry... use the \"enter button\" :P

I agree that it is invaluable! But also remember that very few can produce sharp enough images that will truly reflect of the mini looks.
    Most screens ahve 72dpi resolution as well which can be compared to the usual 300-400dpi in printing.

And secondly that IRL you tend to look at other things that might not be picked up at photos. A perfect blending might for example look
    really cool on photo. But the photo might instead hide that the contrast is lacking. And the visual impact IRL is almost always gained by good contrasting.

Not to mention different lighting.. Many \"controversies\" about minis not looking the same IRL is often due to different lighting conditions..
    like the poor ones at UKGD.

Food for discussion? :)

Originally posted by Avelorn
    And secondly that IRL you tend to look at other things that might not be picked up at photos. A perfect blending might for example look
    really cool on photo. But the photo might instead hide that the contrast is lacking. And the visual impact IRL is almost always gained by good contrasting.

Not to mention different lighting.. Many \"controversies\" about minis not looking the same IRL is often due to different lighting conditions..
    like the poor ones at UKGD.

Food for discussion? :)
    A lot of my minis look very different in the pictures compared to real-life.
    This is due mostly to the fact that I\'m still trying to learn how to photograph minis and get decent results.
    I think this may be true for a lot of painters here and on other sites.

Someone once told me that miniature painting is actually two hobbies in one: painting and photography.
    Maybe if I had a set-up like a studio-in-a-box or something,
    then my pictures might turn out better. Then again, maybe they wouldn\'t.

I\'m not posting in this thread until we\'re on page 2...........

Blog Entries

I\'m afraid. Natalya you picked a great mini to start with and you zoomed on the right location:D