Blood Raven army log - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Blood Raven army log

Well my reds are coming out funny right now. Probably not a good thing with a predominantly red scheme... I\'m gonna try some glazes and hope that fixes things. Pictures soon.

As a side bar, what colour should I do the purity seal wax? I could just do it a brighter red (which is by far my favorite option right now) but any other ideas would be appreciated.

Crap picture as usual. Reds are \'done\' (sorted out that issue with some scab red glazes). Got a couple areas to touch up, and then all the battle damage to paint on. I\'m realizing there is a lot of red on this guy lol... Maybe its cuz nothing else is painting but its really overwhelming. I\'m at loss as to what things to paint what colors too. Lots of little skulls that could be metallic or bone, and some wil be one and some will be the other but which I dont know.

it looks good, I must say :)

it will be intresting to see it finnished :)

// Larre

Alrighty. Update-a-roo. 1 billion layers of kommando khaki down. 1 billion more to go lol... I love the colour, but god does it suck at covering! Everything is stuck on (but not glued) to get an idea of how it\'ll look.

Apart from finishing the parchment/bone areas I still need to do all the metallics (chest eagle, random skulls, gun, banner pole, backpack, etc), and freehand (name scroll, BR icon, scratches and wear). I think I\'m gonna go with \'Elias\' unless I come up with something cooler that will also fit nicely on the name scroll on his chest.

And I kinda hate to say this but the dread is getting put off till a later date. No point in rushing it for the competition, and I\'m still short a few bits to really pimp it out.

Never delay the dreads man....:cool:
    I think your reds came out very good, love to paint reds my self.
    If you can use any idears from my dread just feel free to steel as much as you like.
    Your banner is really good too, and you are absolutely right in not painting more stuff on it. I really like the raven skull (I take it\'s a raven), it\'s always cool when there is some free hand stuff on the minis, and it\'s fun to do as well. As for the skulls I think you can mix it, but do most of them bone, that will look really good with the reds, but a dark metel would work as well.

I find the best colours for purity seals is the oppostite on a colour wheel.

I think green in the case of red.

@Manus: As you can see I did some bone, and some metal (the one on top of the powerfist is metal). I didnt want to stop working on the dread but I realised that if I continued to spread my time between them I wouldnt have ANY entry for the competition tomorow so I picked the one I was most happy with at the time. The dread will eventually get finished. Oh, and yes that is supposed to be a ravens skull (something off about it but I\'m happy enough with it).

@DaN: Well I had thought of using green but I have an issue with those two colours together on minis... looks off to me. I do like contrasting purity seals but I can\'t see too many colours as wax... So I went with a brighter red. It looks ok I think.

For some reason I havent touched the gun at all yet... Everything else is pretty much base coated or in some various level of shading. I got frustrated with the parchments so I haven\'t touched them for while. I\'m thinking for the tabard I\'m gonna do a small cross near the bottom with a halo around it. I dont want to do a lot of script on him as that was the majority of the freehand on the librarian.

Got the parchment areas all done. Gun is started. Need to finish: powerfist, right shoulderpad, skulls, terminator honour/cross, gun, banner pole and eagle metallics, base.

Blog Entries

No updates the last couple of hours... is that a good thing (as in you\'re being super productive) or a bad thing?

He\'s looking really spiffy though. Fabulous freehand work once again.

Hopefully I\'ll see you there tomorrow, I\'m bringing my Warrior Priest and a recently finished (varnish still drying) Crisis Suit. I think it\'s an XV81 or something, the Forgeworld one with the SMS on its back and the single giant jetpack.

Are you leaving the tabard (With the lovely freehand cross and halo) as it is - cos it does look very flat... :P

Maybe just a few washes of snakebite or a darker brown to add some depth to the recesses?

Yeah I left the tabard as it was. It doesnt look that flat in real life, but after inspecting Jericho\'s warrior priest today I think I should be adding more depth to my tabards/parchment. No pictures of the finished product but once I get some I\'m sure there will be some pleasant surprises ;).

Came in 2nd (to Jericho\'s warrior priest - He cheats! I swear it) at the competition today. Won a $20 blister for it so I picked up that fancy new librarian terminator. He\'ll be featured online/in an upcoming white dwarf, which I\'m really psyked for.

Blog Entries

Nice work on the Sarge, the armor chips and everything really made a huge difference. I\'m still jealous of your freehand by the way :D

OK. Long overdue update. Snapped a quick shot of my sarge. Noticed some areas need some touch ups. Once I do that I\'ll get some decent pics for my gallery. I cant seem to get a shot of the back for the free hand but I\'ll try harder later.

Also started a chaplain conversion. Not great. Not bad. Legs Look funny, I\'ll try to fix that later.

it looks good, the chaplain looks especially promising! keep up the good work :)

// Larre

Ok. So here\'s a sneak peak at my termie librarian. Playing around with basing (the only thing i have no idea what to do for right now...). This is so far in the lead. Don\'t have much else other than sandy ground with rubbly bits and what not... There was a slight accident involving a pin vice and his fancy hand but its all sorted out with greenstuff now lol. The head of the staff with be a more blood ravenesque eagle thing, which I just need to pick up a bit for and I can do it really quick. Not much for conversion per se, but I\'m adding a couple bits/details here and there... I want him to stand out physically, not just the paint job (which all I can say involves blue lol).

that will looks awsome! :wow:

// Larre

Thanks for the reply Larre, I\'m gonna use that base now, its all built and primed hoping to get a huge amount of painting on it done today, I\'m thinking Dark Angels colours... All my basing seems to be green lately lol...
    Right now I\'m debating adding lightning from his finger tips like this:

I can do it, its not that hard to physically create, but I\'m just not sure I should. There in, as the bard would say, lies the rub. (I\'m such a dork...)

That sargeant looks awesome, your reads are divine.

I melted my base :( :cry:

Thanks marineboy, I go with my strengths. I can paint red, so I paint lots of red. Practice practice.

So I started doing lightning. It looks ok, I\'ll post a pic when its finished... I need to figure out how to paint the base now that its partially melted though (not too bad, just kinda bowed in on one side of the missile launcher). I think I\'m gonna paint it all scorched and hopefully it\'ll look good.

Blog Entries

How\'d you manage to melt it?!