Your favorite GW references

Thread: Your favorite GW references

Default Your favorite GW references

Ok so after reading the Dark secret thread in the 40K forums I was wondering what your favorite references that GW have used in their fluff are. Culturally or people references.
    ie. Caliban - The Dark Angels Planet; also the name of the savage enslaved by Prospero in Shakespeares The Tempest.
    Marco Columbo - Tilean/Estalian explorer; Christopher Columbus/Marco Polo reference
    Dark Angels - named from a poem
    Lion El Johnson - Dark Angel primarch; Lionel Johnson author of The Dark Angel.

So theres a few of the ones I find interesting, I\'m sure there are others. Love to see what else you can come up with.

most GW stuff is from latin. heres one though
    Inquisition- spanish inquisition, otherwise known as with hunters

Abbadon = hebrew for Distruction.

Though I have to say Distruction the Dispoiler sounds pretty dumb.

Originally posted by rosac
    most GW stuff is from latin. heres one though
    Inquisition- spanish inquisition, otherwise known as with hunters
    GW fluff comes from so many different places that it is not even funny. A lot comes from european medieval history, almost as much comes from the Bible, either straight or somewhat altered.

Here is a thread where you can find a lot of different refferences

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=93140

Originally posted by Gilvan Blight

and more here

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14732

Abbadon is one of the demons and offten used in the past to reffer to the hell itself. The mixup with the despoiler is probably because of rather vague refference that \"addadon\" (as a destructor) is an attribute of another demon - Asmodeus who is a demon of impurity.

However in his discription Asmodeus is much more similar to Slaanesh then to Nurgle.

Speaking of whom.

Nurgle is probably Nergal, a diety of... war and pectilince (what a surprise)

Blog Entries

Revelation 9:11 And they had a king over them, [which is] the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue [is] Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath [his] name Apollyon.

Abaddon, Hebrew meaning is \"Destruction\"
    Apollyon, Greek meaning is \"Destroyer\"

Blog Entries

I always thought the old Lizardmen army book had humorous names, like \"Teensi Weensi\" (I can\'t remember the spelling though) and \"chili pepa\".

lol , reminds me of the river (in klatch?) in pyramids by terry pratchett called the djelibebi - the child of the djel :)

Chaos Warriors bear a striking resembance to the Nockmaar soldiers in Willow and the addition of the skull helmet to the \"new\" sprue is definatly not a nod to General Kael ;)

aparently Mag urak thraka, an ork leader is named after margret thatcher.

:)

Sculpted after her aswell, a stunning likeness.lol

Squig

I would have to say my favourite is Konrad Kurze (Col. Kurtz) being killed by the Assassin M\'Shen (Martin Sheen).

what about fluffy the rabid bunny? i here it is an unreleased green. hehehe. anyhow i think we oughta ask phil to make a green of a rabid bunny that is tainted with chaos. thats almost funnier than chuck norris\' fist in my face.

Originally posted by Swordwind
    Chaos Warriors bear a striking resembance to the Nockmaar soldiers in Willow and the addition of the skull helmet to the \"new\" sprue is definatly not a nod to General Kael ;)
    The Chaos Warriors are much older then Willow though. They haven\'t really changed they way they look since the early 80s (earlier 80s then willow). I think it\'s actually more likely that the soldiers in Willow are a nod to Warhammer.

At least with the Rogue Trader book, much of the 40K universe is taken from Frank Hebert\'s Dune series. Especially concepts such as suspensors and blind Navigators.

Its all good :D

The one everyone knows: Corax, Primarch of the Raven Guard is latin for Raven. His last words \"Nevermore\" is all the Raven says in Edgar Alan Poe\'s The Raven.

Blog Entries

At least with the Rogue Trader book, much of the 40K universe is taken from Frank Hebert\'s Dune series. Especially concepts such as suspensors and blind Navigators.
    Yay! I was waiting for this: I commented similarly inTHIS thread last year.

I have read all 14 Dune books and love them. Some similarities I noted before and now:

1. The Bene Gesserit Sisterhood is very much like the Sisters of Battle; especially the fact that the Orders Famoulous \"...role is to ensure that the Imperium\'s noble families work towards the ultimate good of mankind, brokering trade agreements, alliances and marriages between families.\" \"...their intimate knowledge of a families bloodlines can prove invaluable (to the Inquisition)\". This mirrors very closely the Bene Gesserit goal of seeing to the good and \"maturity\" of mankind through arranged marriages and recording bloodlines. Also the orders Dialogous specialize in languages which was a trait of Bene Gesserit training who\'s schools bear a striking resemblance to the Schola Progenium. The Ecclesiarchy maintains the Missionarus Galaxia which is uncannily similar to the Missionaria Protectiva. Hmmm.

2. In the Dune universe the spice is addictive, dangerous and necessary due to it\'s enhancement of human psychic abilities which are closely monitored by the Bene Gesserit and the priesthood of Arrakis. In 40K It is the psychic abilities which are necessary evils. Both worlds rely on their particular \"danger\" for space travel and communication. Herbert commented extensively on the \"hydraulic pressure\" exerted by controlling access to the single greatest commodity.

3. The Emporer of the known universe (Dune) occupies a Golden Lion throne. Hmmm.

4. The Imperial elite troops (Sardaukar) were recruited from a very harsh \"deathworld\" (can anyone say Catachans?) with high mortality rates in their training/indoctrination regimen. In other regards (their sole allegiance to the emporer) the Sardaukar resemble space marines.

5. Reliance on mutated human navigators residing in a guild structure with oaths protecting their relationship to the religio-state organism.

6. The marriage of vast religious infrastructure to the state and exerting almost unchallenged influence throughout the Imperium.

7. The presence of mobs of martyrist cults etc. that are tolerated by the Imperium.

The single biggest difference I see between WH40K and Dune is the external entities (aliens etc.) in 40K that assail humanity, in Dune their are no outside groups that are not of human origin.

Biel-Tan = Beltane (Roughly Mayday
    Saim-Hann = Samhain (Irish (Gaelic) harvest Feast)

Default More Dune / 40K

Don\'t forget:

The Butlarian Jihad vs The Dark Age of Technology.

I would have thought the Sardukar for Space Marines more so then Cadians. How many Marine legions come from happy safe planets.

The original Imperial Assasins were very reminiscent of Face Dancers. IIRC there was even a piece of equiment you could buy in the RT book to re-arange your face.

Thre Great Houses vs The Space Marine Chapters

The belief in a living god emperor who\'s only claim to godhood is precience.

There are tons more. You are right though, no Aliens in Dune.

Blog Entries

Don\'t forget:

The Butlarian Jihad vs The Dark Age of Technology.
    Yes, and the baroque or antique nature of technologies in both universes. Also Ix seems very much the model of for the Mechanicus Forgeworlds.

I would have thought the Sardukar for Space Marines more so then Cadians. How many Marine legions come from happy safe planets.

I did mention the space marines too, but the comparisons are a little inexact at any rate.

The original Imperial Assasins were very reminiscent of Face Dancers. IIRC there was even a piece of equiment you could buy in the RT book to re-arange your face.

I think the Callidus are the ones who can morph their face and body structure (with the assitance of drugs) The Inquisition War trilogy had a Callidus assassin who was a prominent character and she impersonated a genestealer after extensive surgery and drug therapy.
    Thre Great Houses vs The Space Marine Chapters

There are many references in 40K to Noble families who are chartered by the Empire to govern planets, similar to the siradar fiefdom of Arrakis, Caladan, Geidi Prime etc.

The belief in a living god emperor who\'s only claim to godhood is precience.
    Good Call on this one.

There are tons more. You are right though, no Aliens in Dune.