Spacewolf Venerable dreadnought FINISHED!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spacewolf Venerable dreadnought FINISHED!!

Default Spacewolf Venerable dreadnought FINISHED!!

Not really being happy with the old VD for the spacewolves, and thinking the new VD looks like something from a glam-rock band, and since forge world haven\'t made one yet, I decided to try and make one myself.
    First I want to make it larger and heavier looking. Next step will be the front and then decor at last. I bought the brass etch from Forge World, and it is really cool, hope it\'ll look good painted as well.
    Plastic card has been the choise so far, haven\'t tried working with it befor byt it quite easy to cut as you like. I\'ll also use that to try and make it taller.

Looking good so far matey, im doing something similar with a chaos dread,

After cutting, recutting and changing pieces, I finally ended up with some main body armour I resonably happy with. At the front I cut away the wings and skulls and made a smooth surface with GS, The head is from a wahamme fantasy dwarf standard with some bits cut away. The head will be partially covered with a screen at a later stage.
    The exhaust is made from a couple of silencers from the scout sprue, and I added the obligatory wolfheadwents to the bottom of the engine.
    Hope you like it so far. If you have any good idears please let me hear:idea:

looks really promising! :D

though I think that you should try to make a smoother GS area in the front.

// Larre

Finished work on the main body - pretty happy with the way it turned out. Only thing I really want to change is the lenght of the wolfskin - think it should be just a little longer.
    I think the FW brass etch looks good, the rune print is very shallow so my plan with a bit of roughcoat(think it\'s spelled that way) is a no go, it will obscure it all. Maybe I\'ll put on som structure paint or just leave it as it is.

Blog Entries

Yeah I\'d have the wolfskin covering pretty much the entire topside of that armor plate, with the tail and hind legs dangling over the edge. Other than that, this is looking pretty amazing for a first attempt at plasticard.

You\'re obviously a quick study lol

<edit>

The only thing I would recommend at this point is to have some kind of detail on the middle of the \"chin\" of the beast, even if it\'s just a nameplate it would make up for the relative lack of detail in this spot.

</edit>

Wow. This looks great! Starting to wish I had put a bit more effort into my Venerable Dread conversion... The armour plating is very nice, I\'m gonna be doing something similar to do the extra armor on my tanks. The dwarf banner head is a great touch. Keep it up.
    *edit* Yeah, the wolf pelt should hang down a lot lower. I think that would really make it pop even more.

I\'m not normally a big fan of Space Puppies but this is looking rather promising.... What I like most is the use of the dwarf icon for the head. Might I suggest removing the lower lip and sculpting a mouth grille type thing like on the front of marine helmets? That is if you haven\'t already glued it in

Wolfskin is going off ASAP :no: - going to make it larger and I think I\'ll position it in a slightly different angle as well. Just hope I can get it off without ruining to much.
    @ Jerico: the plan was to make some freehand knotwork or similar at the front - and a lot of other places.
    @ Undave: that would actually be very cool - but unfortionately everything is glued in to place, and it\'s not possible to get in there. But maybe next time. The plan was to paint the head as wood - as some artifacts left from the viking ages are faces carved in wood that looks like this - what do you think of that idear?

I need some help on the weapons - I was planning to do a lot of decorating, but not any extra armour - I think they are big enought as they are - could I have you opinion please

Hehe wood would be cool, why not go the whole hog and put Drakkar heads on your rhinos too:D

Also where did the wolf pelt come from originally?

Looks like the one outta the grey wolves boxed set, just the standard one.

How about some wolf tails hanging down from the front of the chest plate?

And what about some of the old dwarf weapons, like as the weapons the marine himself once carried, as extra ornamental pieces.

Blog Entries

The wolf pelt comes from the Space Wolf infantry accessory sprue.

You are right the wolfpelt is from the spacewolfsprue, comes as a cloak thing.
    @Bengoodall: There is going to be some wolftails but I don\'t want to over do them, as they are just kind of \"right of the sprue\". I had planned some chains with trophyskulls - ork/nid hanging down from the front - you like that idear? Weapons as ornamental pieces/his old weapons I really like that - that will be comming up.
    @Undave: I\'m actually planning something like dakkar heads for the tanks/speeders etc. going to be really cool:cool:

As an age old Dark Angels player (although I think I am boycotting them now due to the crapness of their Codex) I first of all have to say I hate it, and anything associated with Space Wolves! ;)

But more seriously, I think it all looks great except for the head, which just doesn\'t work for me. I think it doesn\'t fit the look of Space Wolves properly. Other than that it\'s cool. Trophies are always a nice touch, but be very careful that you don\'t go too over the top.

The head was thought to look somthing like this, though not quite as goofy. Redid the wolfpelt - made it longer and more in proportions

I think this looks fantastic!!! The only suggestion I would make is to ditch the plastic dread arms and use the metal SW dread ones instead- they already have the wolf like trophies and trinkets on them

I think the head is going to look great, however, I personally would\'ve gone for something less Beowulf like, and more akin to Grendel for the death mask.

@OrkyDave: intially I wanted to use the metaldread as a base, but I think it\'s quite unclean casted you can kind of see it\'s and old model. I like the sharp edges on the plastic dread more, it also have more details. I also wanted a wolf pelt on the torso (being able to weaponswap and still have the wolfy looking things) and there is a wolfpelt on the metal close combat arm, and I think two is to many, going to steal the claw though. Can\'t remember wich wolfy bits are on the assaultcannon - but I might have a secund look when I get home.
    Thanks for you inputs

Wow, your project\'s really looking good. I like the idea of incorporating old norse elements, so the head is a really good idea. However, I\'m not sure how it\'s going to work with wood as a focal point on an otherwise metal miniature.
    I like the ideas with the old weapons and the wolf pelt, but the pelt seems to lie somwhat flat. How about adding som ripples or folds to it?
    Your arms are coming along fine, and I don\'t think you should add another pelt on any of those, but maybe you could bulk out the dread by adding plasticard to the indside of the boxes on the upper arms - maybe just as a small trim on the edge to make it seem more heavy?
    About the roughcoat (which I think is a really good idea): Try putting a blob of BluTac over the parts where you don\'t want the coat - then you can peel it off when the paint is dry and Bob\'s your uncle!

Default small update

Thanks Quareni - nice finally seeing you here, a welcome I think is in place :duh:. Building the weapons heavier - OK then. First tried with plastic card allover but it didn\'t work so I did the trim. Think it looks very good. Started to put on a bit of decor on the arms. Think I chucked the chains with skulls, instead I\'ll try to \"tie\" some skulls to the arms instead, you know, the old deer-on-the-hood thing.

I was thinking on painting one or both of the upper arms yellow as the shoulderpads of the rest of the army - can\'t quite figure out if it will look out of place.