Whisper Gnome Suggestions?

Thread: Whisper Gnome Suggestions?

Default Whisper Gnome Suggestions?

I\'ve searched for quite some time, and I\'m convinced that the world of miniature manufacturing hates (or at least severly dislikes) gnomes, and to a lesser extent, halflings. I\'m going to be playing a Whisper Gnome thief, and have had abysmal luck in trying to find a mini that will work well for it. The best that I\'ve been able to come up with has been Reaper\'s Hellakin (Halfling Assassin). Almost all the gnomes I\'ve seen have had huge noses or huge bellies (or both). Halflings aren\'t a whole lot better with most being extremely round. We\'re talking a character that is around 4 feet tall and around 40 or so pounds...if you\'ve got suggestions, I\'d love to hear of / see them. I\'m tired of searching French, German and Spanish websites, when I don\'t speak any of the requisite languanges.

ginfitters has some gnomes in the miniature section of their store

@Arson:
    I can understand why you think that about manufacturers disliking Gnomes & Halflings, but in their defense both of those races are really small. I can\'t see much profit in the comissioning of a sculptor, the creation of a mould and then the casting process for a figure which they would be hard pressed to sell at comparative prices to say a Human sized figure (Plus add in packaging).

As to a figure you need, why not look at the GW Hobbit range from LoTR. There might be something that could help you out.

Originally posted by Dragonsreach

As to a figure you need, why not look at the GW Hobbit range from LoTR. There might be something that could help you out.
    d\'oh. totally forgot about them. some nice minis from the shire there. farmer maggot and some cool dogs if i remember correctly

Ral Partha used to make Kender figures for the Dragonlance setting. The new slim and trim D&D D20 halflings look like they are a direct descendant. You should be able to find Kender minis on eBay at least. Heck someome may still make them, not sure.

You could sculpt one yourself using the Ebob halfling armiture.

Originally posted by Swordwind
    I admit, I\'m a total n00b when it comes to minis. You lost me. :S

Originally posted by Gilvan Blight
    Ral Partha used to make Kender figures for the Dragonlance setting. The new slim and trim D&D D20 halflings look like they are a direct descendant. You should be able to find Kender minis on eBay at least. Heck someome may still make them, not sure.
    Wow, that\'s a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion...

Originally posted by Arson
    Originally posted by Swordwind
    I admit, I\'m a total n00b when it comes to minis. You lost me. :S
    an armature is the metal skeleton that scultors use as a base for their work. ebob is simply the name of a company who sells them. here\'s the halfling armature:

Default Gnomes at Ginfritter\'s Gnomish Workshop

Hello, I would like to recommend Ginfritter the Illusionist Thief figure. He is set up in adventuring gear. He is found at:

http://ginfritter.coolbusiness.org/store/product_info.php?cPath=28_47&products_id=260

The miniature is sculpted by Gene Van Horne

Originally posted by Arson
    Originally posted by Gilvan Blight
    Wow, that\'s a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion...
    No problem. Just be sure to put up a link whene you paint it so we can see what mini you went with.

Originally posted by ginfritter
    Hello, I would like to recommend Ginfritter the Illusionist Thief figure. He is set up in adventuring gear. He is found at:

http://ginfritter.coolbusiness.org/store/product_info.php?cPath=28_47&products_id=260

The miniature is sculpted by Gene Van Horne
    Hey Gin, I think your minis are very well crafted, and detailed, and I love the fact that you provide several different options for the mini. However, I have two issues with that particular mini for this character. The hat. I can\'t deal with the hat. Sorry. And for this character, the whole big nose and beard thing doesn\'t work either. Thanks though.

Manufactuers do not hate halflings and gnomes, it\'s just the fact that as DR mentioned most gamers are looking for human sized figures and when they go short they go dwarf. It\'s also been an ongoing issue for a long time that Gnomes are sculpted like lawn gnomes and halflings are really hobbits as almost every company that sales halflings have theirs with pot bellies and hairy shoeless feet.

GW\'s LotR habbits can be used with a little work to the feet, unless your ok with being barefoot. Demonworld can easily be used, i use one myself for a halfling, but they are OOP now. And of course Ginfritter there has one of my fav gnomes but as you said, too lawn gnome for what your lookign for.