I thought I\'d have a go at actually FINISHING something...!

Thread: I thought I\'d have a go at actually FINISHING something...!

Default I thought I\'d have a go at actually FINISHING something...!

Hey guys - just gimme a few comments on the black armour. I feel this guy is ALMOST finished, aside from maybe a bit more picking out of the metallics and one or two touch ups here and there.

But I just wanted to make sure what you guys thought of the armour first...

It doesn\'t ever seem to photograph well either, and I don\'t know if you can really make out the gradations (There are maybe 4-5 layers of gradations on most surfaces, with edges picked out)

Cheers.

Wow - looking at some of these pics makes it look like I\'ve used the \"watercolour\" feature in an art program...!

I\'ll have to try some with the \"old\" camera tomo and see what THEY look like in comparison ... :(

nice work man.. the only thing i dont lioke is the spike.. it seems out of place to me.. be nice work

Yeah, I don\'t like the spike either to be honest. The black does look very powdery, I don\'t know how much of that is down to the photographs. Perhaps several very thinned down washes of black over it, then a final application of fairly contrasty, extremely fine highlights on just the light catching edges of the armour would help out.

I\'d also say the bone needs a last highlight in the same manner to make it pop, and the red too I guess.

It\'s well on the way to being a decent job though.

Aye - in those photos it seems as though the purity seals are UBER red, so maybe I\'ll give em a bit of a brown wash. And touch the bolt pistol too.

As for the spike - I wanted to add something to the backpack, and I don\'t think it looks too bad myself. Is it just the piece itself or the colour too you guys don\'t like?

And the black has already had a wash over, but I guess another couldn\'t harm as long as it was light enough lol.

Well I like him a lot so far, I think the blacks look pretty good right now (almost like its aged) but with another wash or two could look better still. I\'m gonna have to say that I dont particularly like the spike either... I\'m not sure what it is about it, I don\'t think its the colour, I think it is the spike itself... Almost reminds me of a dunce cap. Just as an aside I see the Ultramarine icon on the shoulder pad, but the name Michaelus is from the Dark Crusade Blood Raven Reclusiarch is it not? Not really anything to complain about just thought I\'d mention it lol... keep up the good work.

I like your work, especially the skull which has some very nice shades to it. However, I agree that the armour looks a little powdery and also a bit too bluish to my taste. Personally, I prefer to work from black towards a light grey shade for highlights. Occasionally I have used blues which has created results I have been pleased with, but I wouldn\'t exactly describe the result as \"black\".
    I agree with the others who are not too pleased with the spike, but I understand why you want something to break up the area on the backpack. How about finding something with at skull or bones motif, shave it off and add it in stead - maybe you could even take a normal WH skull, shave off a third or so of the back and then use that?
    But still: Nice work - keep it up!

Well thanks for opinions. A lot of you don\'t seem to like the spike :P
    Ah well.

As for the name; considering we\'re still only on Earth at the moment, and I know more Dan\'s than I can shake a stick at - it\'s hardly suprising to find another Marine called Michaelus is it?? ;) lol

ALSO - There does seem to bit issues with the clarity on the new camera, which I shall have to attempt to resolve...

Here are the pics again (No updates) from the \"old\" camera:

NurglePainter

Hmm... I like the bone areas and the reds they just need a bit of brown/scab red washing, but the black is...well gray! This is a common problem as black has no real midtone to make it look highlighted. I use a really dark gray with a little Graveyard earth and then have a lighter gray as final highlight and then wash back over with black ink (mix inks with \"Future\" floor cleaner, it\'ll make \'em look much better) The ink will make the actual plate areas look black again. Sometimes for a cripser highlight I go back with thinned black and tighten up the gray highlights. I find it easier to \"erase\" a line back to being a really thin one than painting a really thin line. definitely try a few black washes on this guy and it\'ll make him look blacker (man, that\'s terribly un-PC of me...lol).

BTW I LIKE the spike! Looks like he\'s just waiting to put some heretics skull up there!

Originally posted by DaN
    As for the name; considering we\'re still only on Earth at the moment, and I know more Dan\'s than I can shake a stick at - it\'s hardly suprising to find another Marine called Michaelus is it?? ;) lol
    Very true, just making an observation is all lol. By no means does it detract from the model. I think if you were to put a skull on the spike it may look better, however that is (in my opinion) much more chaosy than loyalist...