What\'s the worst book you\'ve read? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What\'s the worst book you\'ve read?

Probably Weaveworld by Clive Barker... actually, it was the ending that irritated me. I kind of felt I\'d wasted my time reading the rest. Actually, I think I attempted reading it several times and putting it down before I read it.... should have given up then I guess :)

One book I had several false starts with and got bored - despite good beginnings - was Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence by Robert Pirsig.... when I read it all the way through, it turned out to be one of the best books I\'ve read.

.... Oh! and The Da Vinci Code was pap!

I\'ve come to realize that if the book doesn\'t work for me within the first few pages, it ain\'t gonna work....and I stop reading it.

I guess I\'ve read lots of stuff and after reading I think....damn, this guy got PAID for that?

I could not bring myself to finish \"Madame Bovary\" in school. I would rather have my fingernails pulled off with a pair of pliers than suffer through that again.

Agree with Lono, The dark materials series is way overrated i just didnt get it and found it very boring.

I also quite like a lot of Dan Browns books apart from the one that has made him a multimillionarre.

I personally enjoyed His Dark Materials - it had a strong, epic narrative and some really powerful ideas. It was beautifully and passionately written, and charged with emotion and strong, well-developed and varied characters; I think Pullman is a great writer.

As for LoTR... Jesus! It was too boring for me to endure getting past the second book. Tolkien\'s prose is like treacle, except really bland and unappetising. Wading through a novella of the stuff would have been bad, but several thousand pages? Enough to atrophy one\'s reading muscles forever. Supremely tiring, and not worth it :moon:

Originally posted by Bill
    As for LoTR... Jesus! It was too boring for me to endure getting past the second book. Tolkien\'s prose is like treacle, except really bland and unappetising. Wading through a novella of the stuff would have been bad, but several thousand pages? Enough to atrophy one\'s reading muscles forever. Supremely tiring, and not worth it :moon:
    I\'ve read it more times than I can remember and I really enjoy his prose. Like the Ents say: \"... and we don\'t say anything unless it\'s worth taking a long time to say!\" :D

The only reason I got through it is because I can speed read. If I\'m not really enjoying the writer\'s style I can skim a book, take the details I need to understand what\'s going on, yet only read about 5-10% of the content. I did this a lot with LoTR.

It helps that all of the full on prose in the version I read was italicised, so I could just avoid that with no problems. I never missed Bombadil in the movies because I had already edited him out of the books myself!

Wworst ever is really hard to tell.
    Worst in the last year would be Eragon, and probably Old yeller (was forced on my sun and me)

Almost anything by Stephen King, with the exception of \"The Stand\", \"The Mist\" and some short stories.
    He takes half a book to get to the friggin point, with his overly vivid descriptions of everyday occurances, then usually ends it crappily, most often through \"deus ex machina\".

Blog Entries

Cat\'s Eye by Maragaret Atwood.
    A Painted House - Grisham

Neither one went anywhere. You finished and felt like your life had been wasted. The Grisham book had a buildup but no climax - conflict was avoided. The Atwood book - not even a buildup.

Originally posted by Evil Dave
    Almost anything by Stephen King, with the exception of \"The Stand\", \"The Mist\" and some short stories.
    He takes half a book to get to the friggin point, with his overly vivid descriptions of everyday occurances, then usually ends it crappily, most often through \"deus ex machina\".
    Too true! I was actually going to mention him earlier...Stephan King does everything right but end his stories....

I too have read LOTR countless times...and have always enjoyed his prose. Most of it builds a sense of character in either the protagonists or the setting and history....

Mercea Eliade, The Sacred and the Profane, or maybe it was something by Ayn Rand, the one where she reviews the history of philosophy (i.e. authors she hadn\'t actually read herself). Both books made me want to give up my lunch.

As to fiction, if I don\'t enjoy it, I don\'t get far enough to remember it.

...actually, the alltime worst book i ever read would have top be my statistics textbook. Damn thing could sure fly though. As I recall there wasn\'t enough left of it to sell it back at the end of the semester.

A MtG collection of short stories, called Dragons of magic IIRC. Most of the stories were complete and utter dross, when I KNOW I could have written better stuff, something is seriously wrong.

I was seriously annoyed by the sequel to Jurassic Park, The Lost World. I\'m pretty sure it was ghost written cause Crichton is too slow or didn\'t feel like it or something. It\'s like someone went through a checklist of the major elements they thought people liked from the first one and made sure to include them in the second. (Precocious kids, check. Athletic gutsy chick that looks hot in shorts, check. And so on.)

Although I\'ve reread Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs several times, I gave up about halfway through Hannibal and I\'m not even going to bother trying the latest.

I\'ve read a lot of formulaic, generic or generally not great stuff and I\'m generally able to take something I enjoy from it and so end up not too bothered by the stuff I didn\'t enjoy. Those two stand out for actively pissing me off.

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon - Stephen King

Couldn\'t get past the first 40 pages. Most everything he\'s written in the last 10 years has been pretty awful. Too many descriptive phrases.

Blog Entries

Usually if the book sucks I refuse to read it. For example I\'m not exactly planning on reading the Harry Potter book that we\'re supposed to cover in my Comp Lit 343 class, Folk and Fairy Tales.

Another example of the books I never finished was \"A Midsummer Night\'s Dream\" by Shakespeare of course. I took English 339 last semester on a whim, nothing but Shakespeare. A new play every week and a half. I read 4/6 plays we covered in that class and got an A- I\'m pretty happy with that lol I just had no patience at all for that play... supposedly his most sophisticated but I think it was way overdone, painfully obvious symbolism, and all around a waste of time. \"Winter\'s Tale\" I didn\'t read simply because I didn\'t have time. It was the mandatory essay topic on the final though, worth about 20% of the course grade. I have no idea how I held my average on that final!

Of the books I\'ve finished? \"Caves of Ice\" the sequel to the pretty decent \"For the Emperor\" both by Sandy Mitchell I think. The second book was half the size, reused everything salvageable from the first book, and generally offered no intillectual stimulation whatsoever.

I literally read 80 pages of it on a 30 minute bus ride at one point. That\'s like a third of the book. Also one of the worst attempts at the relatively useful encyclopedia-style footnotes seen in some older sci fi. Just terrible.

anything by dickens - that guy will use ten words when one will do. most complicated sentence structure ever!! not a fan of shakespeare either.

read a bit of the ilyad once and it just seemed to start in the middle

oh and the beginner\'s guide to Finnish is a pain in the arse. he dies in the end :)

why read books when there is tv? :)...nehh dunno don\'t like King either..i\'ve gone trough a lot of crappy books over the years, don\'t think i have a specific one though...who i do love is murakami...go read \'Norwegian wood\',\'Kafka on the shore\' and \'Hard-boiled wonderland and the end of the world\'...some real nice surreal stuff :]

I have to say that one of the most disappointing books I\'ve ever read was Bram Stoker\'s Dracula. My overwhelming memory of the book was a list of blood transfusions and a very unsatisfactory ending. I\'d read Frankenstein just before that and found it a much more exciting and emotional read.

The Lord Of The Rings was one of the most enjoyable reads ever, the last times I\'ve read it. The first time was enormously difficult, and then I got used to it. Fan-bloody-tastic it is now. For those who have trouble reading fantasy prose, try The Faerie Queene... written in the 15th century, it\'s all prose, and will make LOTR read like a well-oiled hamster wheel.

The second-to-worst book I\'ve ever read would be Hard Times, a Dickens tragedy. Not that the story is a tragedy, the whole damn book is a tragedy.

There\'s one worse book that I\'ve read. And, rightfully, I cannot remember its name.