SirJD\'s Great Big Progress Log Of Everything (Updated 22nd)
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SirJD\'s Great Big Progress Log Of Everything (Updated 22nd)

Default SirJD\'s Great Big Progress Log Of Everything (Updated 22nd)

Hi everyone,
    Well after following Jericho\'s and electrolito\'s fantastic Dark Angels logs, i thought to myself \"i gotta get me some of that\"....so i did :)
    Well my Battelfroce box set arrived yesterday afternoon and i spent the rest of the day working on cleaning and assembling my first DA miniature. Sadly i wont be painting any of them untill late next week as im making the switch to Vallejo Model Colour, and the colours i need wont arrive untill then, so for now its assembly time.
    First up is a converted chaplain, all thanks must go to Jericho and his converted chaplain as thats where i stole...no..no...where i got the inspiration ;)
    Of course he\'s no where near as good as J\'s, but i dont think he turned out too badly, he just needs a few bits here and there cleaned up.

Up next ill be assembling the scouts, and maybe a few more conversions.

All feedback and comments are welcome
    SirJD

Very nice. Looks quite a bit like jerichos... The only thing really bugging me is the terminator arm. It looks too large for the standard marine. I guess on a related topic the techmarinish shoulder pad isn\'t all that chaplainish but thats really minor. I absolutely love those purity seals though... infinitely superior to the ones the standard marines have.

Thanks for the reply Emopainterguy. I agree the arm is a little bigger, sadly i couldnt find any other arm that would fit, also im a bit of a newb when it comes to 40K so im likely to add a few things on mini\'s that shouldnt be there hehe. ( like the shoulder pad)

SirJD

I wasnt happy with his right arm so i had a look through my sprues and found an arm i think fits better, plus a new shoulder pad.

/edit: what do you guys think about adding a servo skull to the area around his right shoulder pad? A bit like the front cover of the new codex? Im just worried it might clutter him a bit to much.

Onto the scouts!
    Comments Welcome
    SirJD

Nice! although I think the weapon is a bit too short...

yeah, but I don\'t think that is such a big problem, since the mini is a great conversion in itself :D

keep it up :)

// Larre

Blog Entries

Hey you\'re right about that Servo skull, he is pretty close to the Chappie isn\'t he :P Might be a good idea to slap one on there.

Anyway I\'m just glad you got inspired by my fig, I sure had fun with him until I tried to paint the daggers on his belt, anyway ;)

looks like i gotta give in and buy myself some Dark Angels :) don\'t forget to drill out the barrel of his plasma pistol !

Blog Entries

Just a quick question, are you sure the lamps on the backpack are on right? It looks like one of them is upside-down I\'m afraid.

Thanks for the replies everyone, im hoping to finish assembling the scouts today.

@Mouth of Sauron: I decided to make the weapon a little shorter as i thought it match the Codex Cover a little closer.

@Forrix: Ill make sure i remember to drill out the barrel for the plasma pistol, thanks for reminding me.

@Jericho: Thanks for your reply, I just noticed that lamp myself aswell, ill fix it up ASAP.

Thanks again,
    SirJD

Much as I hate to say it, the new shoulder pad isn\'t really right either. It\'s Inquisitorial, and has no place on a Dark Angel to be honest. Would work on Deathwatch or Grey Knight Marines, but not here.

Also, is that a cut down plasmagun rather than a plasma pistol in his hand? I don\'t necessarily mind it, but it seems a bit strange to me to have a big oversized gun, and a short, stubby Crozius in his other hand. Perhaps this is just personal preference. Also, if he\'s for gaming purposes he should definately have a pistol, not a gun.

Other than that it\'s looking good.

Thanks for the reply lono, its very helpfull.
    I will go looking for another shoulder pad today. As for the plasma pistol/gun im not actually sure what type it is, I found it on a DA sprue in the battleforce box set and thought it matched the pic on the codex the closest. As i said im new to 40K so i dont really know too much, and help with this would be great.

/edit: I just did a bit of a search on google for plasma guns and plasma pistols and from what i can see he has a plasma pistol.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Lanceplasma.png
    Plasma Gun

Plasma Pistol

Thanks again,
    SirJD

Well I wasnt gonna say anything about that shoulderpad lol but lono did... I don\'t know how well attached your shoulderpads are but I\'d almost suggest switching the one with the sword to the other side, and then putting a plain shoulder pad on the other side and free handing the chapter badge. It really does look nice.

And yes that is definately a plasma pistol.

hehe thanks for the idea emopainterguy,ill get to work on him ASAP and have more pics later today.

SirJD

Yet another reply for today :)

Ive completed the assembly of the scouts, im going to leave them in 3 parts ( Torso+Head-Weapon-Legs) as they will be easier to paint that way.

Scouts assembled and more work being done on the chaplain

The obligatery work space pic

What do i assemble next? well thats where ive hit a stumbling block, being new to the whole 40K game i really have no idea what weapons to give the squads.
    I know what sprues go to what squads but i dont know what weapons to give them. Seeing as i will hardly ever play a battle with these im thinking i might just give them what looks best? So all help would be much appreciated with this.

Thanks
    SirJD

Well if you\'re not gonna be playing many games I\'d say go with what they show on the box. Or whichever weapons you think look cooler. The majority of the marines in a squad will just be armed with bolters, while the sergeant can be beefed up with power weapons/claws/fists etc. You could also have one marine with a special weapon like a flamer, melta, or plasma gun. And if you really like you can throw in a heavy weapon (you get a bunch of extras on the devastator sprues).

well, I think you should look it up in the SM codex, or maby see if you can find something on GW\'s website.

// Larre

If you are not going to play, go for a cool looking mix of weapons. It\'ll look good and you get a chance to paint different stuff.

Thanks for the help guys, means i can start work on the next squad now. I should have some of the devestator squad assembled today.

SirJD

Originally posted by Manus
    If you are not going to play, go for a cool looking mix of weapons. It\'ll look good and you get a chance to paint different stuff.
    At the same time I think there is something nice about having a game legal squad so don\'t overdo it. At least I find some satisfaction in seeing marines standing with their bolters ready with the one or two others ready with their specialized weapons.