Better camera, lower scores!

Thread: Better camera, lower scores!

Default Better camera, lower scores!

I\'ve just posted some more shots of my \'Seventh Son\' mini, now taken with a friends all singing and dancing Nikon D100 and...well...the mini doesn\'t look anywhere near as good as it used to. I may lose my reputation for being a mediocre painter! :(

I know people are used to reading lines like \'Looks better in real life\', but can I get away with \'Looks better with crummy digital camera\', or \'Please squint at screen\'. ???

Maybe people like Cyrul, JH and Arjay aren\'t that good, maybe they just have crap cameras! :D

Damn you Nikon and your 6.3 megapixels!! :mad:

Default Try spitting on the lens!

This is part of the photographers dilemma. You spend a fortune on the finest camera and optics money can buy and then you find that you have to rub vaseline or sweat onto the front element to get a decent shot.

A good camera and lens will show every fault and defect, even ones not visible to the naked eye. It will also show up all the faults in your lighting setup which are cheerfully ignored by your average box brownie.

In fact, I would almost go as far to say that using a very high level camera almost involves the need to learn a whole new set of skills. The good news is, that once mastered, you will be able to take good piccies of just about anything under any circumstances:bouncy:

Default hmm...

You guys never heard of photoshop? :innocent:

Blog Entries

Odd, I was just thinking about this in a different way. There are a few pictures out there ( I have 2 myself) were the camera is pulled back on a group of guys and the get scored a 5-6 since nobody can really tell. Then you take the best of those guys and do him alone and get a four since people can actually see whats going on.

Default Oh yes. Use it a lot..

Originally posted by fireglow
    You guys never heard of photoshop? :innocent:
    The challenge is though, to get it right first time and not to have to mess about in Photoshop.

Obsessive I know:bouncy:

Originally posted by johnboyjjb
    Odd, I was just thinking about this in a different way. There are a few pictures out there ( I have 2 myself) were the camera is pulled back on a group of guys and the get scored a 5-6 since nobody can really tell. Then you take the best of those guys and do him alone and get a four since people can actually see whats going on.
    I\'ve had this happen, and part of it is actually that people like a cohesive unit. You will get better scores for a group with a consistent theme than with just one warrior, regardless of the quality of the painting.

kevd82

This isn\'t really surprising - I have seen plenty of examples of pictures that show very little detail that are getting high (or at least higher than I would expect) ratings, as if they are being given the benefit of the doubt. I am sure better pictures would lower these scores.

Default Hmmm

To be honest, I think the same rationale applies. Most of what we think we see is actually \'filled in\' for us by our brain. (I wont bore you with the evidence but there is tons of it out there and it is generally accepted medical fact not speculation).

When an image is unclear, our brain extrapolates from the information it has available and generally appears to give the \'benefit of the doubt\'. When an image is crystal clear however, there is no room for interpretation.

Generally no female model/actress etc will let a photographer near her unless they are \'trusted\'. Nowadays, what they are trusted to do is get Photoshop to make them look their best. In the days before Photoshop however, this was all done with \'soft focus\' filters, vaseline, smoke effects etc. Basically anything to slightly degrade the image. Believe me, no one\'s face looks good in a photo taken at high resolution. doesn\'t matter how much slap they have got on, because even the grains of the make-up will be visible, never mind the pores, zits, hairs etc.

I believe that this is why there is also such a huge gap here at CMON between a 7-8 and a 9-10. The gap is much greater say, than that between a 4-5 and a 6-7.

Just a thought:flip:

lol I know what you mean- we studied it in university. But now this gives me some justification for why something of mine that is painted above tabletop gets a 4.9 but something that was obviously dipped in testors enamel gets a 5.4